Koolio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm currently doing AS History, I think option D4 or something. I got an A in GCSE History however I'm not really confident with the upcoming exam in January. I'm aware that it's a huge step up from GCSE but I'm struggling to find ways to overcome this so does anyone have any tips for AS History that I will find useful?
Argent-chan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing the USA in Asia (Korean and Vietnam Wars) and Civil Rights (Martin Luther KIng etc) - I think one of them is the D4 option, are you doing either of these? If so, I might be able to help!
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Doing votes for women source paper if you need assistance :P
Koolio
Rep:
?
(Original post by Argent-chan)
I'm doing the USA in Asia (Korean and Vietnam Wars) and Civil Rights (Martin Luther KIng etc) - I think one of them is the D4 option, are you doing either of these? If so, I might be able to help!
YES! I'm doing the Civil Rights one and Stalin Russia, if you have any notes/exam technique or anything to make revision easier I'd be so grateful! (For the Civil Rights one)
Argent-chan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, i'd thoroughly recommend you buying these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-...6997234&sr=8-6
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-H...997234&sr=8-10
These two breaks it down into much easier chunks than big text books, once you have these you will find it a lot more easier to revise.
This series has done wonders for my History grades!
As for revising once you have the books that depends on how you learn best; do you know what kind of learner you are? Visual learner etc?
Koolio
Rep:
?
I already have companion books to the bulky text books. Remembering the facts is generally quite easy for me, I was hoping for tips on structuring a general answer that would a achieve a b/a please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muppetmad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm guessing this is the essay paper? If so, here's a few tips which should serve you well:
  • The factors you will inevitably discuss in your answer are not entirely detached entities. Therefore, if you can discuss - even if it's only for a sentence or two - how some of the factors you're discussing are interrelated, that can boost you up quite significantly.
  • Evaluate your factors as you go. Always end your paragraphs stating how that particular factor is significant to the question you're answering. Top answers will always be tightly argued in relation to the question.
  • If you can slip in a historian's name, even if it is just a name-drop, then that certainly can't hurt - the examiner won't see it frequently in this exam. Don't stress about this one though, only do it if it's possible and relevant to your question.
Jambodini
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I tend to structure my answers as follows:

Introduction: Introduce the argument - briefly state the main points you will be examining on both sides of the argument. Start with the ones that support the argument, then drop in a "however" and list the points that oppose it.

Main body: Split this into two halves - support and oppose. Devote a paragraph to each point you will make. First, state the point, justify it with evidence, and then the outcome of it whilst relating it back to the question.

Conclusion: reach a judgement!

I know this sounds very simple but it's just always good to keep a clear essay structure in your head. If you're having trouble thinking of points, just spend 10 minutes in the exam making two mind maps, one for each essay, and lay out the points you will make. This saves time and helps you remember the points you will make.

Revision-wise, I can't speak for Stalin's Russia, but for Civil Rights please make sure that you learn those court judgements from Plessy vs Ferguson onwards. They're important!

Hope this helps, and good luck!
allelela
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am. I would love some help and advice
kc1997
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any ideas for what essay could come up for Russia and Civil Rights in tomorrow's paper? [Edexcel AS level History]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.63%
No (47)
21.56%
Not sure (41)
18.81%

Watched Threads