Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In today's seminar, our tutor gave us some homework to complete, and I'm having trouble with one of the questions. If anyone can help me with this equation, I'd be eternally grateful.

------------------------------------------------------
    Two boys give four apples to their teacher. The teacher accepts the apples and gives the boys five apples as a "thank you". How many apples does the teacher now have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuthbert)
    In today's seminar, our tutor gave us some homework to complete, and I'm having trouble with one of the questions. If anyone can help me with this equation, I'd be eternally grateful.

Two boys give four apples to their teacher. The teacher accepts the apples and gives the boys five apples as a "thank you". How many apples does the teacher now have?
    what is the question? show it here :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Ahem* Where is the darn equation? Also, you do realise that there is a seperate sub forum for academic discussion.

ReputationRep:
    here is the question!!

silly billys!!

ReputationRep:
    Am I missing something?
    They give the teacher four apple, but he/she gives five back, so the teacher must have had at least one apple to begin with. It could be any number greater than one so we don't know how many apples the teacher has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Am I missing something?
    They give the teacher four apple, but he/she gives five back, so the teacher must have had at least one apple to begin with. It could be any number greater than one so we don't know how many apples the teacher has.
    Exactly what I would have said, damn these 'the server is busy' type thingies.

ReputationRep:
    But are they giving the teacher 4 apples each. And is he giving them 5 each or 5 between them?

Personally I think the answer is -1. No-one who goes to lectures would be given a question that simple so its a trick question. Unless "apple" is a secret term for "sharp left hook".

Two boys give four sharp left hooks to their teacher. The teacher accepts the sharp left hooks and gives the boys five sharp left hooks as a "thank you". How many sharp left hooks does the teacher now have?

In this case the answer would be four and a broken nose.

ReputationRep:
    2*4 - 5 = 3.

There isn't enough information.

ReputationRep:

maybe it is 3 because it is the only possible answer

ReputationRep:
    I think someone has come on with a stupid question to see how long he can keep us talking about it.

ReputationRep:
    9x + 12/42*6^4

where x is make believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    9x + 12/42*6^4

where x is make believe
    so x is imaginary? does that mean if you square the apples you'll have less apples than before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    so x is imaginary? does that mean if you square the apples you'll have less apples than before?
    yes that's the way it works sometimes sometimes you get apples and sometimes they just disappear!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.