Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering whether most people adapt quite quickly to Uni Life? I know that there are lots of ppl there to make your stay enjoyable and provide help and support.

I'm really looking forward to it in one way, but I'm a very homely person and hardly know how to look after myself! I have never ironed anything, can't use washing machine and can barely cook anything (thank god for Oxford Halls!!!)! My parents are quite protective which is probably part of the reason. I know some people who are spending a month of so out in south american ALONE in the summer and sorting themselves out pretty much when they get there, but my rents would never allow me to do that! I know that I won't get homesick as such, but am worried I will find it hard to be so "independent". Does this affect most people and does it quickly go as you start to enjoy your independence?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Just wondering whether most people adapt quite quickly to Uni Life? I know that there are lots of ppl there to make your stay enjoyable and provide help and support.

I'm really looking forward to it in one way, but I'm a very homely person and hardly know how to look after myself! I have never ironed anything, can't use washing machine and can barely cook anything (thank god for Oxford Halls!!!)! My parents are quite protective which is probably part of the reason. I know some people who are spending a month of so out in south american ALONE in the summer and sorting themselves out pretty much when they get there, but my rents would never allow me to do that! I know that I won't get homesick as such, but am worried I will find it hard to be so "independent". Does this affect most people and does it quickly go as you start to enjoy your independence?!

Thanks
    Ah, you clearly went to a day school

You will get used to it, trust me. I personally cant remember how being left alone in a scary place feels like because I was three but as far as I'm aware most people take about 2-3 weeks to get into a routine which they are happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Ah, you clearly went to a day school
    Ooooh, patronising! So did 95% of the country!

Seriously though, it's not that bad. I lived away from home in my gap year, so coming to uni was nothing really, just with more people and more alcohol! Some people take longer to adjust than others - it's just important not to dwell on what it would be like at home, and take advantage of your new life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ooooh, patronising! So did 95% of the country!

Seriously though, it's not that bad. I lived away from home in my gap year, so coming to uni was nothing really, just with more people and more alcohol! Some people take longer to adjust than others - it's just important not to dwell on what it would be like at home, and take advantage of your new life.
    Lol. Not really, its just plainly obvious, its only day schoolers which worry about living away. You can spot them a mile off, my sister for one.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Not really, its just plainly obvious, its only day schoolers which worry about living away. You can spot them a mile off, my sister for one.
    And we can spot boarding schoolers a mile off They're the ones with their heads stuck up their arses

I never worried about it, myself.

ReputationRep:
    And we can spot boarding schoolers a mile off They're the ones with their heads stuck up their arses

but then I wouldnt expect much emotion from someone who will be giving injections with dirty great big needles to people

ReputationRep:

I can't wait to leave home.Im not sure if Im'm in the minority but I am reallly lookinf forward to Uni. Just came back from an Offerholders thingy at BNewhall and it was great. I didn't chhose to go there,but was pooled, and personally I think its great.you get the best of both worlds..a really supportive environment, and a college that is really outgoing in general....well that was my impression anyway!!

I really do not why people slate it, its forward-thinking, which is great, and the HILL is not that bad!
    Jade x

ReputationRep:
    but then I wouldnt expect much emotion from someone who will be giving injections with dirty great big needles to people
    I'll make sure it's nice and blunt before I inject you then

Anyway, we're meant to be the empathic, caring people! Not that you'd have believed it if you saw the scrum in the library this morning :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'll make sure it's nice and blunt before I inject you then

Anyway, we're meant to be the empathic, caring people! Not that you'd have believed it if you saw the scrum in the library this morning :mad:
    Those people are probably sponsered by the Royal Navy. Doctors in the Royal Navy are supposed to be by far the most barbaric of doctors. I heard that they are taught to lance wounds on joints. Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    Those people are probably sponsered by the Royal Navy. Doctors in the Royal Navy are supposed to be by far the most barbaric of doctors. I heard that they are taught to lance wounds on joints. Ouch.
    Well, it has to be done sometimes! Navy doctors used to be, cos they had to operate quickly in battle (2 mins for a leg amputation!) but I don't know if it's still true. One girl is sponsored by the army, but everyone else had just got book fever, because the books were released for vacation loan today.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, the eejits changed the day from the thursday to wednesday... and although they told me such explicitly in an email... it never occured to me that they would actually do such a thing. Consequently I was taken completely unawares and missed the scrum. By sheer good fortune I had managed to persuade all the other compscis it was Thursday a couple of days ago and so went to the library tonight and got all the books I wanted

my supervision partner is not impressed with me now

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)

I'm really looking forward to it in one way, but I'm a very homely person and hardly know how to look after myself! I have never ironed anything, can't use washing machine and can barely cook anything (thank god for Oxford Halls!!!)!
    Some people do get worried about going and being alone out there, one of my friends didn't like the idea of being through several locked doors to the nearest person she knew, was used to only being a few yards away at home. I guess it can take some getting used to.

Even at home I sleep at the opposite end of the house from everyone else and have done since I was about three and a half, so things like that didn't really bother me. I still don't iron, and rely heavily on non-iron shirts. I can use a washing machine here because it's basically pressing a button for coloured clothes or white clothes, as soon as I get home and there's a dial with lots of numbers et cetera I get very confused. I've always been able to cook basic stuff for myself so that came easily, but then lots of people do just rely on halls.

It really isn't scary, there are plenty of people in the same situation, it's much more important to get out and have some fun than to worry about stuff like that. So don't.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Aye, the eejits changed the day from the thursday to wednesday... and although they told me such explicitly in an email... it never occured to me that they would actually do such a thing. Consequently I was taken completely unawares and missed the scrum. By sheer good fortune I had managed to persuade all the other compscis it was Thursday a couple of days ago and so went to the library tonight and got all the books I wanted

my supervision partner is not impressed with me now

Alaric.
    Well I got the e-mail and knew it was Wednesday; I even contemplated getting up early to go and get books, but I thought "No, no-one will be that sad." But as I left my staircase in the morning I saw one medic coming back with a stack of books practically as tall as her, two others going off round the side of the library and there were several more still in there!

Fortunately my wheelchair bound friend was one of them, and as she was late we had to race her to lectures, completely knackering my friend and me. She was feeling guilty for making us late and taking all the good books, so she bought us fudge at lunchtime I went back later and got books, but most of the decent ones had gone. Decided to annoy the NatScis by taking some of their Biochem books instead

ReputationRep:
    oh there's usually a few people waiting at 8:30 for it to open, one time there was about 25 or so.

Bleh, there aren't even hills in Cambridge to knacker you speedy wheelchair pushing. Pedestrians are just a menace more than usual when you're doing that, it takes a fair amount of effort to stop a speeding wheelchair, fortunately my sister's now has handlebar brakes so I don't have to worry about that as much any more.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Bleh, there aren't even hills in Cambridge to knacker you speedy wheelchair pushing. Pedestrians are just a menace more than usual when you're doing that, it takes a fair amount of effort to stop a speeding wheelchair, fortunately my sister's now has handlebar brakes
    Well, getting from Mem to the Anatomy lecture theatre in just over 10 minutes nearly killed us! I know there are no hills, but my friend is only in the dodgy college wheelchair, which is not the easiest thing to manoeuvre ever! Plus there are so many different surfaces to rattle over...we took her down the road besides Sainsbury's once, that was fun! Anyway, she's having her plaster off on Monday and will hopefully all be back to normal next term so that's the last time we'll have to do that!

ReputationRep:
    Some people do get worried about going and being alone out there, one of my friends didn't like the idea of being through several locked doors to the nearest person she knew, was used to only being a few yards away at home. I guess it can take some getting used to.

Even at home I sleep at the opposite end of the house from everyone else and have done since I was about three and a half, so things like that didn't really bother me. I still don't iron, and rely heavily on non-iron shirts. I can use a washing machine here because it's basically pressing a button for coloured clothes or white clothes, as soon as I get home and there's a dial with lots of numbers et cetera I get very confused. I've always been able to cook basic stuff for myself so that came easily, but then lots of people do just rely on halls.

It really isn't scary, there are plenty of people in the same situation, it's much more important to get out and have some fun than to worry about stuff like that. So don't.

Alaric.
    Cheers! I'm use to living at opposite end of house too and spend a lot of time on my own when at home - only time I see parents are dinner time mostly! lol!

So I'm not really worried about being away from my rents (miss ther animals more!) it's just the thought of having to "fend for myself". thanks you've given me some good advice. I can't wait to go to Uni, it's just that that worries me!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Hoofbeat - are you a horsey person? (going by your name!) I'm going to Oxford too, you'll have a brill time, apparently the riding club isn't up to much though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    Hiya Hoofbeat - are you a horsey person? (going by your name!) I'm going to Oxford too, you'll have a brill time, apparently the riding club isn't up to much though
    How did you guess?! Lol! Have heard the riding club isn't tht great as only the real "best" get in. Plus you have to do dressage and showjumping together, whereas I would rather just do the dressage (will only jump my own horse!). What college and course are you going to be at/doing?!

ReputationRep:
    Im a dressager too!! Although on a schoolmaster type I might jump.

I'm going to St Anne's to do Earth Science - what about you? I'm hoping to improve my dressage when I'm over by getting schoolmaster lessons as there's no opportunity to do that here.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.