The Student Room Group

New report: Christians most oppressed.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_12_24/Christians-appear-to-be-most-oppressed-religious-group-report/
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/901492--christianity-arguably-the-most-persecuted-religion-in-the-world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians#Muslim_world
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9762745/Christianity-close-to-extinction-in-Middle-East.html

I've long argued that Christianity is the most oppressed religion in the world, if you simply think about it for one minute and not let the Iraq/Afghanistan war (persecution of Muslims at the hands of Christians, if you believe that our armies are armies of God waging holy war, according to the Taliban and Islamic State of Iraq/Al Qaeda in Iraq, who call us "crusader armies", so if you think that you agree with these groups .....), and think about EVERYWHERE else,

Christianity is systematically targeted in China and North Korea, is illegal in Saudi Arabia, is pretty much illegal in Pakistan, and even if the state doesn't get to them, tens of thousands of backwards Sunni fanatics will (with the state watching on, mind you), Christianity is being wiped off the map in Syria by various Mujahideen groups and factions of the FSA (90%), is targeted every single day in Iraq,

millions of Christians killed in South Sudan by the Arab/Muslim north, hundreds of thousands of Christians killed in Indonesia, the near daily bombing of churches in Nigeria by Boko Haram and by Al Shabaab in Somalia, and the renewed targeting of Copts in Egypt, the second, even third class status of Christians across, pretty much of of North Africa and any Muslim majority nation I have not mentioned,

please, see my sources for much, much more detail.

And lets not forget the intellectual and social war again Christianity in the west. Now with this, I would not care much, if it wasn't for a couple of factors. I think it would be fantastic if most of our populations turned atheist/secular/humanist (though, European Christianity is remarkably secular and watered down anyway) and Christianity would be a thing of the past, with no influence over our lives. But the simple fact is, is that there are double standard. Whilst we celebrate the downfall and influence of Christianity, mock it in public etc etc, we do anything we can not do the same for Islam or Judaism, any criticism of Muslims or Jews is instantly brought down at blah blah phobia, blah blah anti-Semitism. We have rather forward, and public groups that at every chance go on about the oppression of Muslims in Burma, Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan and the Caucuses in Russia, and there are many national, public debates/causes which discuss these issues, but what about the hundreds of thousands off Christians persecuted in South/South east Asia. Yet how many of you even know about the existence of groups such as Boko Haram, targeting churches in Nigeria at every Christian festival (three Christmases in a row) or every Sunday, or the mass killing of converts to Christianity in Indonesia by Jemaah Islamiyah?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People often say that you reap what you sow. Christianity has sown the seeds of its own destruction. Why? Because it alone knew the truth, the priest alone knew the truth, professed it, and consequently the real truth was burried. Everything in Christianity is a complete lie. Moreover, Christianity is nihilistic, it chose to attack life; it gave the 'kingdom of Heaven' and this was believed in, and yet it could not be given but realised only in the heart. But who knew? The priest took over Christianity and with lofty concepts he chose to put them into the mouth of God, thus the priest became the mouthpiece of God. Whatever the priest said must therefore be true. This is what people believed about God: they believed the priest. But we no longer take counsel from priests, we no longer take anything seriously from them: "The preist is no physician!" "He is a counterfeit!".
Reply 2
Original post by Martyn*
People often say that you reap what you sow. Christianity has sown the seeds of its own destruction. Why? Because it alone knew the truth, the priest alone knew the truth, professed it, and consequently the real truth was burried. Everything in Christianity is a complete lie. Moreover, Christianity is nihilistic, it chose to attack life; it gave the 'kingdom of Heaven' and this was believed in, and yet it could not be given but realised only in the heart. But who knew? The priest took over Christianity and with lofty concepts he chose to put them into the mouth of God, thus the priest became the mouthpiece of God. Whatever the priest said must therefore be true. This is what people believed about God: they believed the priest. But we no longer take counsel from priests, we no longer take anything seriously from them: "The preist is no physician!" "He is a counterfeit!".

This sounds like a quote from a book.
Reply 3
Original post by prog2djent
This sounds like a quote from a book.

I'm edifying something from a book. It isn't an actual quote from a book.
Reply 4
Original post by Martyn*
I'm edifying something from a book. It isn't an actual quote from a book.

Is it fingerprints of the gods?
Reply 5
Is it fingerprints of the gods?

No.
http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_12_24/Christians-appear-to-be-most-oppressed-religious-group-report/

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/901492--christianity-arguably-the-most-persecuted-religion-in-the-world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Christians#Muslim_world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9762745/Christianity-close-to-extinction-in-Middle-East.html

I've long argued that Christianity is the most oppressed religion in the world, if you simply think about it for one minute and not let the Iraq/Afghanistan war (persecution of Muslims at the hands of Christians, if you believe that our armies are armies of God waging holy war, according to the Taliban and Islamic State of Iraq/Al Qaeda in Iraq, who call us "crusader armies", so if you think that you agree with these groups .....), and think about EVERYWHERE else,

Christianity is systematically targeted in China and North Korea, is illegal in Saudi Arabia, is pretty much illegal in Pakistan, and even if the state doesn't get to them, tens of thousands of backwards Sunni fanatics will (with the state watching on, mind you), Christianity is being wiped off the map in Syria by various Mujahideen groups and factions of the FSA (90%), is targeted every single day in Iraq,

millions of Christians killed in South Sudan by the Arab/Muslim north, hundreds of thousands of Christians killed in Indonesia, the near daily bombing of churches in Nigeria by Boko Haram and by Al Shabaab in Somalia, and the renewed targeting of Copts in Egypt, the second, even third class status of Christians across, pretty much of of North Africa and any Muslim majority nation I have not mentioned,

please, see my sources for much, much more detail.

And lets not forget the intellectual and social war again Christianity in the west. Now with this, I would not care much, if it wasn't for a couple of factors. I think it would be fantastic if most of our populations turned atheist/secular/humanist (though, European Christianity is remarkably secular and watered down anyway) and Christianity would be a think of the past, with no influence over our lives. But the simple fact is, is that there are double standard. Whilst we celebrate the downfall and influence of Christianity, mock it in public etc etc, we do anything we can not do the same for Islam of Judaism, any criticism of Muslims or Jews is instantly brought down at blah blah phobia, blah blah anti-Semitism. We have rather forward, and public groups that at every chance go on about the oppression of Muslims in Burma, Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan and the Caucuses in Russia, and there are many national, public debates/causes which discuss these issues, but what about the hundreds of thousands off Christians persecuted in South/South east Asia, yet how many of you even know about the existence of groups such as Boko Haram, targeting churches in Nigerian at every Christian festival (three Christmases in a row) or every Sunday, or the mass killing of converts to Christianity in Indonesian my Jemaah Islamiyah?

Nearly all of the western countries are christian...move to a christian country?

but then again you wouldn't like that because it would mean more immigrants beng shipped over.

Spoiler

TL;DR.

Christianity is still the largest and most popular religion, more or less, so you have no need to worry or scaremonger.
I don't think Christians are the most oppressed people in the world. They might be oppressed abroad by Islam, but so is anyone who isn't Muslim.

In fact I think Muslims themselves are the most oppressed people. You can be oppressed by your own people or your own beliefs. It doesn't need to be an outside source.
Reply 9
Original post by Dragonfly07
I don't think Christians are the most oppressed people in the world. They might be oppressed abroad by Islam, but so is anyone who isn't Muslim.

In fact I think Muslims themselves are the most oppressed people. You can be oppressed by your own people or your own beliefs. It doesn't need to be an outside source.

Are you talking about religion here or not?

Because by a long, long way, Homosexuals and atheists are the most oppressed people.
Reply 10
Original post by 2DAYWSAGUDDAY
Nearly all of the western countries are christian...move to a christian country?

but then again you wouldn't like that because it would mean more immigrants beng shipped over.

Most western countries are atheist/agnositc or extremely watered down protestants, which is as far away from traditional Christianity as you can get without officially leaving the religion imho.

And why are you telling me to move to a Christian country,

I have no idea what you mean with immigrants.

Try and be a bit more coherant, maybe.
I'd say christianity is more the oppressor than the oppressed, though they have toned it down these past few decades. Either way, as one of the major and most accepted world religions, I'd disagree. People are starting to have a problem with religion in general rather than just christianity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Sheldor
I'd say christianity is more the oppressor than the oppressed, though they have toned it down these past few decades. Either way, as one of the major and most accepted world religions, I'd disagree. People are starting to have a problem with religion in general rather than just christianity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read my OP and sources again. This is not about people having a problem in general, this is about the systematic destruction of christianity in the middle east and far east and the west ignoring it, whilst defending other religions that really, REALLY are a threat to western ideals (basically, a balance of equality and freedom).
You are complete bastard you know that right?

It may have been mentioned once or twice in the past. Always good to hear it from someone else for a change.

You can make these snide statements and make yourself feel sooooo great and superior, you damn well know the point of this is not about the size of a religion but you make the comment anyway just to fill some sort of self satisfactory snooty elite attitude you and your ilk all share.

Boring. It's still the largest religion and the chances of it diminishing to a point where it's noticiable is unlikely certainly in our life times. Those area's you mentioned haven't really ever been predominantly Christian so why are you surprised that it's not only a minority but that other religions are in control and might prefer their own religion over others? Why are you surprised that they might go to rather extreme lengths to ensure it.
It is the most prominent religion in the world. As for whether it's the most oppressed well I'm not sure. But beyond researching them to know the background and the history I wouldn't take much of what the three Abrahamic religions say seriously. Anyway you might think that they are being oppressed but I'd be more concerned about those that religions like Christianity are oppressing. Specifically the Catholics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by thunder_chunky

1. chances of it diminishing to a point where it's noticiable is unlikely certainly in our life times.
2. Those area's you mentioned haven't really ever been predominantly Christian so why are you surprised that it's not only a minority but that other religions are in control and might prefer their own religion over others?
3. Why are you surprised that they might go to rather extreme lengths to ensure it.
4. Anyway you might think that they are being oppressed but I'd be more concerned about those that religions like Christianity are oppressing. Specifically the Catholics.

1. The influence of Christianity over the government, and social life in Western and Northern europe has pretty much disappeared compared with the early-mid 20th century, I'd call that a life time, and I'm sure this trend of secularisation/agnosticism/athiesm/whatever is ever increasing in christian minority countries across Asia.

2. No they haven't, but they are being wiped out, lots of sources claim that Aleppo has seen 90% of its Christians flee, Christianity in Iraq is dead, and that is just twp countries, if we count all the Christians killed in areas I mentioned, or the idea that Christianity really is disappearing from the middle east (which it deffinately is) does not have any influence over whether those areas were "predominatly christian" or not, they were still, atleast there, and were a sizeable chunk of the population.

3. I'm not suprised, I expect it, the "ummah" is expiriencing a second Islamic awakening (in my opinion) and that only means more death for anyone who isn't a sunni or salafi-jihadi shari'ah fanatic.

4. The catholic church isn't as bad as it used to be, South America has been catholic for decades now, they wiped out any local religions with absolute brutality and everyone knows it and condemns it (probably a large chunk of catholics do to), so are you talking about Africa?

Because the only thing Africa is expiriencing is violent Islamisation, Somalia, Nigeria, Mali, Sudan ... all prime and topical examples.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Martyn*

who is more at fault here? The priest manipulating people or the religious doctrines which end to preach peace?

And hell, the only time christianity makes the news nowadays it's due to something negative.
Christians don't have a right to talk about being oppressed when they've been the main oppressors in Europe for the past 2000 years. Witches, astronomers, homosexuals, women...
1. The influence of Christianity over the government, and social life in Western and Northern europe has pretty much disappeared compared with the early-mid 20th century, I'd call that a life time, and I'm sure this trend of secularisation/agnosticism/athiesm/whatever is ever increasing in christian minority countries across Asia.

2. No they haven't, but they are being wiped out, lots of sources claim that Aleppo has seen 90% of its Christians flee, Christianity in Iraq is dead, and that is just twp countries, if we count all the Christians killed in areas I mentioned, or the idea that Christianity really is disappearing from the middle east (which it deffinately is) does not have any influence over whether those areas were "predominatly christian" or not, they were still, atleast there, and were a sizeable chunk of the population.

3. I'm not suprised, I expect it, the "ummah" is expiriencing a second Islamic awakening (in my opinion) and that only means more death for anyone who isn't a sunni or salafi-jihadi shari'ah fanatic.

4. The catholic church isn't as bad as it used to be, South America has been catholic for decades now, they wiped out any local religions with absolute brutality and everyone knows it and condemns it (probably a large chunk of catholics do to), so are you talking about Africa?

Because the only thing Africa is expiriencing is violent Islamisation, Somalia, Nigeria, Mali, Sudan ... all prime and topical examples.

1) Good, there should be now and always a seperation between church and state. Religion shouldn't influence the government because most religions aren't nearly progressive enough.

2) Tis a shame but what to do proppose to solve this?

3) As above.

4) I just don't think the Catholic church deserves to be listened to when it preaches about how gay marriage is wrong, abortion is wrong and when they preach about morality. Not just because their beliefs on such things are nonsense and outdated, but no religion has a monopoly on morality, least of all the Catholic church.
Reply 18
Original post by rcummins1
Christians don't have a right to talk about being oppressed when they've been the main oppressors in Europe for the past 2000 years. Witches, astronomers, homosexuals, women...

People are accused (and then executed) of being witches in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iraq and Pakistan all the time, it was only a few months ago when a Pakistani MP talked about how the Muslim world needs to advance through science and technology instead of through "Allahu-akbar" (his words), and he was killed by a suicide bomber, it was only a few months ago when a Higgs Boson physcicist was threatened to have his legs broken by Islamist (read: True, pious muslims) students http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/08/higgs-boson-pakistan-scientist, scientists, social or physical, are targetted all the time for being "agents of the west", "agents of those filthy jewish pigs and monkeys", "agents of Israel". Homosexuals are probably most persecuted in the Muslim world and have the MOST rights in (former) Christian Countries, and the gap between women and their status in the Chrisitan and Muslim world is absolutely massive.

Basically, all those things you have listed always have, and still are going on in the "ummah", and have largely left the Christian world (atleast in Europe, North America and other westernised nations) in the past 200 years.

Stop trying to shift the blame, it doesn't make you look any better, it just makes you look like you are desperately trying to avoid being labelled islamophobic, so you pick Christianity, which is a much, much easier target since you won't be blown up for criticising it, and the ridicule of Christinaity is (rightly, I might add) publicaly celebrated more or less.

I suppose one of the hidden points in my thread is that Christianity can be mocked, is weak and is dying, yet islam cannot be mocked or even criticised out of fear from being labelled an Islamophobe by stupid (hate to say this word but ..) Politically Correct leftist liberals (was trying to avoid that too) .... or out of fear of retaliation, I'm sure the people killed across the middle east and the rest of the ummah, who criticse islam, heard these words before their deaths "ALLAHU AKBAR, BOOOOOM"

Here are some other prime examples

Christopher hitchens (I am a fan for his criticism of religion in general, not for his Marxist turned neo conservative politics) always debating Christians and taking down Christianity .... he was publically revered

or take Theo Van Gogh or Pim Fortuyn, labelled sick islamophobes and both of them murdered, the former by a fanatical muslim who shot him and tried to behead him and the later by a far leftist anti-fascist (despite both of them having similar politics to Hitchens) ......

WHAT

THE

Edit: I can't stress enough how dishonest it is for people, when faced with an argument against Islam, immediately talk like "blah blah Christianity in the past blah blah".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
i think

Quick Reply