The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ascott4
Yeah I really like central village too but then it's about £5,000 for the 43 weeks and the montague burton which is close to the uni and city but not en-suite is £4,000 and I'd be alright with a shared bathroom between a few people but not the ones shared between 2... They were rank! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in Montague Burton in my first year and I absolutely loved it! I was just like you - I wan't particularly fussed about an en-suite (I just wanted it to be as cheap as possible haha) but I wanted somewhere close to campus. The shared bathroom thing works out fine - everyone is in the same position so everyone just makes it work - I never once had an argument with anyone about the shower/bathroom in the whole year!

If you like Montague Burton you should have a look at Leodis as well? It's not too much more expensive than Montague Burton, but it's got en-suites, so if that is something you're interested I'd definitely suggest having a look there :smile: it's literally right by Montague Burton so it's no difference distance wise at all.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Hi,

I've put down Leeds as my firm choice but unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the accommodation viewing day.

I've gone through the brochures/galleries/costs and I'm considering either Central Village, Henry Price Building, Leodis Residences or Montague Burton

What would be the best for me if I wanted a nice and quiet environment that is multi-cultural, not mixed-gender, close to campus and appropriate for first years??
I am currently studying at Leeds, all the halls you mentioned above would be suitable for first years. Leodis and Montague Burton aren't on campus but they're only about 5 minutes away and might be a bit quieter away from the hustle and bustle of campus!
Reply 23
Heya, I've been looking through the accommodation thread a bit, and having already applied for Charles Morris I'm getting a bit worried because not many people seem to be talking about it or applying there. For me it seems the best accommodation but maybe I'm missing something because I thought it would be really over-subscribed so was worried about if I would get a room there or not, but on the facebook leeds uni group and on here there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it...

Also - when do we find out if we've been accepted into the accommodation we applied for? Sorry if this has already been covered on the thread!
Original post by LC_4
I thought it would be really over-subscribed

It is. You must remember that there's really only a very small percentage of new students that post on any of the facebook groups or on here - particularly at this stage (the facebook groups get a lot busier once the results are out and people find out where they're living)

Original post by LC_4
Also - when do we find out if we've been accepted into the accommodation we applied for? Sorry if this has already been covered on the thread!

If you've got an unconditional offer (so you've already got your results) or if you get results in the first half of July and you notify us of them (IB, BTecs and some foundation courses), then we'll email you your offer of accommodation in the last half of July (before 1 August). If you have a conditional offer and you get results after about 15 July, then we'll send your offer (again by email) some time between the day after A level results and 9 September. Most offers will go out between 19 and 30 August but because we have to allocate such a large number of people, some will be later than that. Getting your offer later doesn't mean you won't have got your preferred choice so don't panic if you don't hear by 1 September.
Everybody has an equal chance of getting their preferred residence, whenever they apply, whenever they hear and whether they are conditional or unconditional. The only thing that will affect your chances of getting your preferred residence is what you choose and what everybody else chooses. If you pick Lupton, Oxley or Liberty Dock you stand a very good chance of getting your preference; if you pick Charles Morris, Central Village, James Baillie Park or Henry Price, you have a much lower chance. And everywhere else is somewhere inbetween.
Reply 25
Original post by LC_4
Heya, I've been looking through the accommodation thread a bit, and having already applied for Charles Morris I'm getting a bit worried because not many people seem to be talking about it or applying there.

Hello, if it's any consolation this is where I've applied too :smile:. Absolutely loved it when I saw Storm Jameson, it was like a hotel room.. I've also been a bit worried at how few people are talking about it, hopefully it's a sociable accommodation. Maybe we'll see more posts about it when results come in
Reply 26
I've applied for the Henry Price building, what is it like socially?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Dr Jenny
If anyone is looking at the private halls, then my advice is to give the Unite residences the body swerve - particularly The Tannery where I was, which was very run down. They operate several building in the city, and The Tannery was appalling. Although the people managing the building were reasonably pleasant although inept, the people I had to deal with when negotiating a lowered rent (for the uncleaned, ill-furnished shambles of a room with big holes in the plaster) were really evil. And on top of that the staff had failed to collect all the keys from the previous year's tenants, and hadn't changed any of the locks, so for the first 3 months a large number of people had to share keys - consequently a real racket was made by people not being able to get into their flats. They didn't even give me a proper inventory for my flat - they gave the same one for shared flats and studio flats and your were expected to guess what things were supposed to be there. Other people's cigarette smoke came into my flat through the ventilation system too. Horrible organisation and building all round.

Was it really that bad? I've been offered the tannery as my accommodation this year and I didn't apply for it, and now I've read reviews I'm not impressed :frown:!
Reply 28
Original post by sophlaurenn
Was it really that bad? I've been offered the tannery as my accommodation this year and I didn't apply for it, and now I've read reviews I'm not impressed :frown:!

I've been put in the tannery too & didn't apply for it, getting really worried now that I will hate it :frown:
Reply 29
Hey, just had my accommodation email through anyone else in Liberty Dock? Block B in particular?
Reply 30

Yes, it really was that bad! I slept on top of 5 fleece blankets like the princess and the pea because the horrible old mattress was so uncomfortable too!
Reply 31
Original post by kakane2013
Hey, just had my accommodation email through anyone else in Liberty Dock? Block B in particular?

I'm in Block P! What was your first choice? I wanted Henry Price because of the closeness to campus and social life aha. Bit worries that Liberty Dock may be a bit quiet for me? Or am I being stupid?
Original post by Dr Jenny
Yes, it really was that bad! I slept on top of 5 fleece blankets like the princess and the pea because the horrible old mattress was so uncomfortable too!

Oh no! I'm tempted to reject it and commute now!
Original post by Clare Bate
I've been put in the tannery too & didn't apply for it, getting really worried now that I will hate it :frown:

Where in the tannery are you staying :smile: I'm in block C G02! That's if I accept it seen so many bad things about this place that I'm majorly put off!
Reply 34
Original post by Sam Lystor
I'm in Block P! What was your first choice? I wanted Henry Price because of the closeness to campus and social life aha. Bit worries that Liberty Dock may be a bit quiet for me? Or am I being stupid?

Oh that's cool! I just looked at the lay out of the halls and looks like P is opposite to B, so that's pretty cool, and no it was not my first choice, i wanted Henry Price too but didn't get it, i wanted it for the same reasons and I am worried too, although it is close to the centre so I think that will have it's benefits, but no your not being stupid I am worried too. :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Where in the tannery are you staying :smile: I'm in block C G02! That's if I accept it seen so many bad things about this place that I'm majorly put off!

Type the tannery in to the search bar. There are some really positive reviews too!
Reply 36
Oh that's cool! I just looked at the lay out of the halls and looks like P is opposite to B, so that's pretty cool, and no it was not my first choice, i wanted Henry Price too but didn't get it, i wanted it for the same reasons and I am worried too, although it is close to the centre so I think that will have it's benefits, but no your not being stupid I am worried too. :s-smilie:
Ah cool, well hopefully they'll be a lot of people in our position, so we can all come together and make it a bit less tame....? Pretty annoyed to be fair, don't think there's much we can do though, other than get private accomodation!
Reply 37

I'm in block c too but 207, rang up yesterday and the people said it's similar to central village that's why I've been placed there so now I'm not sure what to do! X
Reply 38
Original post by Sam Lystor
Ah cool, well hopefully they'll be a lot of people in our position, so we can all come together and make it a bit less tame....? Pretty annoyed to be fair, don't think there's much we can do though, other than get private accomodation!

Hopefully, I'm sure we will figure something out, where you coming from? and well I was originally offered sentinel tower which i heard was for quieter people so the changed me to this one, but I might be wrong but you can change in October.
Reply 39
Hopefully, I'm sure we will figure something out, where you coming from? and well I was originally offered sentinel tower which i heard was for quieter people so the changed me to this one, but I might be wrong but you can change in October.

Yeeeeah, Essex (nice part haha) how about you?

Quick Reply

Latest