emily_n
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi

I am applying for 2013 PGdip in adult nursing and have a few questions that I hope someone who has done the course/ has any extra information can answer?

- how many studying weeks are there on the course ( for the purpose of NHS bursary)
- how many hours a week are you at university?is it possible to also have a full time job? without this its going to be very tight for money.
-are the term times the same as a regular university course i.e time off for summer Christmas and reading weeks?

if anyone could help me with an example timetable or course layout or even just any general advice that would be great.

Thanks
Clairet88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emily_n)
Hi

I am applying for 2013 PGdip in adult nursing and have a few questions that I hope someone who has done the course/ has any extra information can answer?

- how many studying weeks are there on the course ( for the purpose of NHS bursary)
- how many hours a week are you at university?is it possible to also have a full time job? without this its going to be very tight for money.
-are the term times the same as a regular university course i.e time off for summer Christmas and reading weeks?

if anyone could help me with an example timetable or course layout or even just any general advice that would be great.

Thanks
Hi there

I have just got a place to do a postgraduate diploma in childrens nursing at Kingston.

I know from the interview and info I've had since that the course is very full on and there is no way you would be able to work full time around it! I was also told there is about 7 weeks a year holiday and they said you cannot take any time off around this, they seemed quite strict about it.

Which Universities are you applying to?!

Claire
emily_n
Rep:
?
I'm applying to kings, Kingston and south bank. Have you heard anything back yet? I haven't applied yet am sending it off tomorrow but saw on here some people saying that they have had offers already. Thanks for the info. Is Kingston the only place you have applied?

Emily

Posted from TSR Mobile
emily_n
Rep:
?
Sorry just read you got a place, that's great! Are you starting in september? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clairet88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi again!

yes I was offered a place for september 2013, I applied to LSBU, Kingston, Kings, Southampton and City. I got interviews offered at Kingston, Kings, Southampton, my first interview was Kingston it was my first choice and I was so happy to get in! I know there's only 8 places on the course tho, crazy!!

If there's anything you want to know just contact me I can give advice on your ucas and interviews etc!

good luck!!

claire
emily_n
Rep:
?
Ok thanks so much for your help. Did you go to any of the other interviews?

I'm sending my application tonight, just waiting on my reference. I was also wondering, kings gives you the option of doing another module and turning it into a masters but they others do not have any information on this. Did kingston say anything about it at the interview?

Thanks

Emily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clairet88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I only went to the one at Kingston, it's hard to get time off work for interviews so it was a relief really!

im afraid I don't know anything about the masters, Kington didn't mention anything so I assume its not an option, I would email them to find out

Who did you get to do a reference for you, just a warning that most ask for a second reference.

good luck!!

claire
blondyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you all apply through UCAS or apply online on Universtity website?
emily_n
Rep:
?
(Original post by blondyx)
I have applied through UCAS, I think that's the only way that you can?

Posted from TSR Mobile
emily_n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clairet88)
Hi again!

yes I was offered a place for september 2013, I applied to LSBU, Kingston, Kings, Southampton and City. I got interviews offered at Kingston, Kings, Southampton, my first interview was Kingston it was my first choice and I was so happy to get in! I know there's only 8 places on the course tho, crazy!!

If there's anything you want to know just contact me I can give advice on your ucas and interviews etc!

good luck!!

claire
Hey! Sorry to keep bothering you! Just wondering when was your interview for kings scheduled for? Some people on another thread are saying they had their selection day on the 12th dec? Did you go? Also how long before the uni's got back to you with an interview?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
WeirdLittleO
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have applied through UCAS, I think that's the only way that you can?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some universities you apply directly to their website Salford and Northumbria have an online form to fill out rather than sending it via UCAS
rivermaze
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey! Sorry to keep bothering you! Just wondering when was your interview for kings scheduled for? Some people on another thread are saying they had their selection day on the 12th dec? Did you go? Also how long before the uni's got back to you with an interview?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I had my selection day on Dec 12 and got a conditional offer about one week later. Good luck!
emily_n
Rep:
?
UCAS x

Posted from TSR Mobile
emily_n
Rep:
?
(Original post by rivermaze)
Hi,

I had my selection day on Dec 12 and got a conditional offer about one week later. Good luck!
Oh that's quick! I have a selection day on the 6th for kings..... do you have any advice? I'm really nervous! which branch of nursing have you applied for?

x
NicTre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have an interview for post grad nursing at city on 13 February. Has anyone had an interview there yet?
Clairet88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

didn't see your reply, whoops!

my kings interview was scheduled for early jan. I heard from Kingston the next day after applying with an interview three weeks later!

Have you had any luck?!

claire
blondyx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've just noticed that I didn't answer your original question. I'm sorry

Anyway, when doing maths test, just remember about units (the rest is simple arithmetic). 20 minutes for a critical appraisal include getting familiar with an article; not much time for writing.

It seems that most people attending selection days at Kings have had a task to plan a Christmas party for residents of a nursing/residential home. There were six of us in my group and two university tutors. Since the selection day, I've been pondering over what was assessed. I'd say that, apart from showing a caring attitude, it was mainly about the way one works as a part of a team. I felt stressed, barely said anything and was asked to stay after to explain why I kept silent. I fell in love with Kings, but left without any hope to study there. I wish I know why they offered me a place; I think that people with whom I was in the group were absolutely brilliant, while I was lagging light years away.

I should say you shouldn't be nervous, because all the people I met (members of staff, students and candidates) were extremely nice and everything seemed laid back. I was in pieces though.

adult nursing, the same as you

I hope you get a place there I don't know much about LSBU or Kingston, and my first choice was Southampton, but Kings seems to be an ideal place for pgdip.

PS By the way, there is no chance to keep a full time job when studying nursing. Even part-time can be hard, unless it's something allowing for greater flexibility. I'm afraid there is only one month of summer holidays and several weeks around Christmas and Easter. PGDip seems even harder than undergraduate nursing in terms of workload.
Did Kings offer you a place? Havw you got alot of offers now?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
rivermaze
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sorry for the late reply. Yes, Kings offered me a place (but still waiting for the final decision regarding APEL). I was also offered one at Oxford Brooks for BSc. I realised too late that they do PGDip/Masters as well, but I don't really mind after all. A rejection from Southampton and I withdrew two other applications.

What about you then?

Did Kings offer you a place? Havw you got alot of offers now?

blondyx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sorry for the late reply. Yes, Kings offered me a place (but still waiting for the final decision regarding APEL). I was also offered one at Oxford Brooks for BSc. I realised too late that they do PGDip/Masters as well, but I don't really mind after all. A rejection from Southampton and I withdrew two other applications.

What about you then?
Thats ok. So you accepted your place to kings?

Sophieangel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've applied for defered entry to King's, Kingston, Greenwich, Southampton and UWL Reading but missed the deadline as I only decided to do defered entry at the last minute rather than apply next year. I've had interviews through for King's and Kingston but I really want Southampton as I live here. Is anybody doing mental health and can tell me anything about interviews?
Thanks,
Sophie x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (509)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (308)
20.36%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.56%

Watched Threads