ReputationRep:
    OK, got a dilemma. Here are my offers for Law,

Durham AAA
    Manchester AAB
    Birmingham AAB
    Nottingham AAB
    Newcastle AAB
    Manchester Met. BBC

I'm going to choose Manchester as my firm choice but my problem is what to do about my insurance. I'm not going to use Manc Met as I don't see there's much point in getting a law degree from there as it is not well respected. Unfortunately all the other offers are either the same or higher grades. My thought are if I put Birmingham as my insurance I might have a better chance of staying in if I just miss the grades because it is not quite as oversubscribed as Manchester or Nottingham. Do you reckon there's any point or should I just not put an insurance because Law is so popular and none of the top unis are going to let you in without the grades?

Any thought would be appreciated.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)

Durham AAA
    Manchester AAB
    Birmingham AAB
    Nottingham AAB
    Newcastle AAB
    Manchester Met. BBC

I'm going to choose Manchester as my firm choice but my problem is what to do about my insurance. I'm not going to use Manc Met as I don't see there's much point in getting a law degree from there as it is not well respected. Unfortunately all the other offers are either the same or higher grades. My thought are if I put Birmingham as my insurance I might have a better chance of staying in if I just miss the grades because it is not quite as oversubscribed as Manchester or Nottingham. Do you reckon there's any point or should I just not put an insurance because Law is so popular and none of the top unis are going to let you in without the grades?

Joe
    wouldnt it be better if you put durham as firm and manchester as insurance instead of putting manchester as firm and nothing as insurance?

ReputationRep:

Durham AAA
    Manchester AAB
    Birmingham AAB
    Nottingham AAB
    Newcastle AAB
    Manchester Met. BBC

Joe
    What about Newcastle? Manchester Met isn't too bad if you get a 2:1/1st from the Met you can still do quite well, however the other universities are far better. The Met has a habit of selling out i.e letting people with far lower grades than requested.

Hopefully it won't happen though and you will get into Manchester, its a fab city.

ReputationRep:
    It won't hurt to put birmingham as your insurance really will it! I say do what you said.

ReputationRep:
    What if he doesn't want to goto Durham?

I would put Man. Met if I were you, it's better than no insurance, and I'm sure they'd be nice enough to release you if you really didn't want to go. If there's honestly no chance on earth of you going to Man. met ever, put Birmingham or Notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    What if he doesn't want to goto Durham?
    That's why he's not putting it down !

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I don't want to go to Durham. Don't like the college system and place seems to quiet for me. Got my mind set on Manchester. Looks like a brilliant city!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I don't want to go to Durham. Don't like the college system and place seems to quiet for me. Got my mind set on Manchester. Looks like a brilliant city!
    Yes it is, I am highly biased but there must be a realise why so many brillaint bands have come to Manchester. It is because the culture is so good it makes peoples minds very creative. Also the student life is Manchester is probably the best in the country because Manchester has more students than any where else in the country.

The usual comment sense rules apply but crime is no worse than most big cities. I've never had any problems with crime directly.

Having four large universities within 3 miles of each other causes this great diversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yes it is, I am highly biased but there must be a realise why so many brillaint bands have come to Manchester. It is because the culture is so good it makes peoples minds very creative. Also the student life is Manchester is probably the best in the country because Manchester has more students than any where else in the country.

The usual comment sense rules apply but crime is no worse than most big cities. I've never had any problems with crime directly.

Having four large universities within 3 miles of each other causes this great diversity.
    I can't wait to get there! Just want to move in to my own place (kind of) and meet new people and have agreat time. Might study a bit too - kind of forget about the whole degree thing when you get excited about living on your own in a new exciting place!

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to get there! Just want to move in to my own place (kind of) and meet new people and have agreat time. Might study a bit too - kind of forget about the whole degree thing when you get excited about living on your own in a new exciting place!
    Hehe yeah thats main problem with the Met, studying seems to be second, at Manchester however the standards are a bit higher so working is probably more common! I've got involved in the mancunian night life a bit lately and as a result my work may have suffered a touch. You have to have a bit of fun though, at college I got stupidly high grades (for my particular college/course) but I never had a social life so I wasn't really happy.

ReputationRep:
    2nd choice : Nott
    1st Choice: Durm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    2nd choice : Nott
    1st Choice: Durm
    He's already said he dosn't want to go to Durham! grrr!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers everyone for your help. Looks like it's Birmingham as my insurance. Looking forward to going to Manchester on Wednesday for the open day. Haven't bought my train ticket yet, probably do it on the day. Anyone else going on the Law open day on Wednesday?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.