The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

2012/2013 LSE offers, Economics and Economic History

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Good luck to all those who haven't heard back!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Any offer holders from the Economic history department?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A2: 3A*s predicted
AS: 5As achieved
GCSE: 2As + 10A*s

Rejection

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 43
Achieved: A2 Mathematics A*, AS Further Maths A
Predicted: A2 Further Maths A, A2 Economics A

National Diploma: 19/20

Rejected
Reply 44
Achieved A*A*Aa
REJECTED. F*CK YOU LSE
Reply 45
Original post by kieronspitter
Any offer holders from the Economic history department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Received an unconditional for straight Economic History a while back, now deciding whether I want to go. I like to take my time.

Also, putting it out there I achieved AAB at A2 level, and have been studying politics at York since. I just don't feel like politics is right for me. For those that are still (maybe) awaiting offers for economic history, it seems like personal statement plays a large factor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by apt9
Got an offer for straight Economic History (V300) today, AAB. There were a few more in the 2013 applicants thread - seems the department has finally awoken!

Absolutely thrilled, it's long been my dream course/uni. Good luck to anyone still waiting

Congrats! what books did you read for Economic History? :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by 786:)
Congrats! what books did you read for Economic History? :smile:

Wow, this is a really late reply but I hope it helps anyway!

Umm, I was applying for straight history (rather than economic history) everywhere other than LSE, so basically on my PS I wrote an introductory paragraph about why I have an interest in history generally, then two longer paragraphs about my interest in the interaction between history and economics and between history and politics, with the economic history related stuff I've read going in the first of these paragraphs. The books I mentioned in the EH 'section' of my PS were all related to financial crises in history with an eye as well to the events of the last 4/5 years, they were:

-Carmen Reinhart and Kenneth Rogoff’s ‘This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly’

-John Kenneth Galbraith’s ‘The Great Crash of 1929’

-Skidelsky’s ‘Keynes: The Return of The Master’

A more general one that I included at the end of that section was Tom Kemp’s ‘The Climax of Capitalism: The U.S Economy In The Twentieth Century’, just to show an interest in something other than financial crises (and because its on the EH101 reading list :ninja:). I also wrote about one non-EH book a bit lower down too.

Make sure if you reference a book though that you have something interesting to say about it! i.e, what did you gain from reading it, was there anything it said that you didn't agree with, what new light did it throw on its subject. I'd aim to write at least a sentence or two on each book you reference (which is why I could only get 5 in my whole PS!).

Hope that helped, if there's anything else just ask in this thread or whatever :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending