The Student Room Group

A2 Business Studies BUSS3 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Jim, (or anyone),

I was reading the Examiner's report for the January 2012 BUSS3 module and this was their comment about Question Four:

"There was more evidence of students spending time planning their answers in this
examination. Furthermore, more students are writing structured answers with the use of
subheadings.
Most students were able to identify valid arguments both for and against the
proposal and made use of the case study material to support these arguments. They also
wrote recommendations which were supported by their previous arguments."

Does this mean that in the final question, is it a good idea to use subheadings? I had assumed they wanted to see it in a clearly structured essay style, as opposed to with subheadings and such. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Reply 21
Original post by hannahflossie
Jim, (or anyone),

I was reading the Examiner's report for the January 2012 BUSS3 module and this was their comment about Question Four:

"There was more evidence of students spending time planning their answers in this
examination. Furthermore, more students are writing structured answers with the use of
subheadings.
proposal and made use of the case study material to support these arguments. They also

Does this mean that in the final question, is it a good idea to use subheadings? I had assumed they wanted to see it in a clearly structured essay style, as opposed to with subheadings and such. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Yeah you can write subheadings for your for and against. My teacher has said you can as well as examiners.

Just be like " Arguments for the proposed strategy" and once you've written about that, just do a "Arguments against the proposed strategy"
Original post by Rossatron
Yeah you can write subheadings for your for and against. My teacher has said you can as well as examiners.

Just be like " Arguments for the proposed strategy" and once you've written about that, just do a "Arguments against the proposed strategy"

Yeah I know that you can, but is it recommended? Cause that's what the examiners report seems to say but I personally would have thought its better not to write subheadings..
Reply 23
Yeah I know that you can, but is it recommended? Cause that's what the examiners report seems to say but I personally would have thought its better not to write subheadings..

The examiners don't recommend anything, because they don't want to mess up someones exam structure, but using sub headings is easier for the candidate and for the examiner to know where you 'For' points are and where your 'Against' points are.
Reply 24
Sub-headings are a good idea for the 34 marker. They can help you stay focused on the question. Use them - and space them out.
Jim, (or anyone),

subheadings.

Personally they are not my cup of cake.
But you can use them if you want.
Hi guys, how many points should be made approx. for the 34-36 marker.
Is it:
2 points for + 2 points against in separate paragraphs
or should the for and against be combined into two in-depth paragraph?

also, how should I plan out question 4, what is the most effective and quick method! e.g. table, list?

p.s good luck guys! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 27
Original post by dan94adibi
I absolutely love BUSS 3. Its one of my favourite and I feel prepared for this exam.
Make sure you use data from the case study all the time.
Don't forget calculations either when appropriate.

Can you think of any main topic areas I should revise for. Really struggling and don't want to waste time - like all of us!
Original post by LGG
Can you think of any main topic areas I should revise for. Really struggling and don't want to waste time - like all of us!

I say the most important section is workforce planning and marketing planning.

Those are the one I would be going through just before the exam!
Reply 29
Why do you think them 2 but not operational or finance ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Is this most people's structure:

1.) Definition then 2 point's for OR against as the question asks.

2.) Definition then 2 point's for AND 2 point's against then evaluate which the most important factor.

3.) Same as question 2

4.) Definition then 3 point's for AND 3 point's against the stratergy followed by evaluation on which most important factor and lastly what they need to do to implement the stratergy effectively (A* bit according to my teacher)
Original post by wastry
Is this most people's structure:

1.) Definition then 2 point's for OR against as the question asks.

2.) Definition then 2 point's for AND 2 point's against then evaluate which the most important factor.

3.) Same as question 2

4.) Definition then 3 point's for AND 3 point's against the stratergy followed by evaluation on which most important factor and lastly what they need to do to implement the stratergy effectively (A* bit according to my teacher)

YH just about right but if the 10 marker is a calculation is just include one point given that the calculation is 4 marks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 32
Hi Jim,

My teacher of business studies has told me that for question four it's best to use two advantages for and two against and of that there should be one point from each of the four functional areas, should I do this, what if I cannot find a positive/negative for one of the areas?

Thanks in advance
Reply 33
Jim, (or anyone),

subheadings.

I don't think you have to use subheadings, but as an above poster said, it's good to and apparently examiners like it. I personally tend to, but i think at the end of the day, it's up to you.

Good luck to everyone doing it btw :smile:
Reply 34
Can someone give me a rough guide to how long you should spend on each question?

cheers
Reply 35
Original post by Tom78
Can someone give me a rough guide to how long you should spend on each question?

cheers

15 mins on a careful reading, then:

first question - 10 mins
second question - 18 mins
third question - 18 mins
last question - 35 mins

use the rest of time on planning your answers
Reply 36
Original post by 7days
15 mins on a careful reading, then:

first question - 10 mins
second question - 18 mins
third question - 18 mins
last question - 35 mins

use the rest of time on planning your answers

Nice one :biggrin:
Reply 37
I am really nervous about BUSS3 tomorrow... i think i am understanding content and application but i am really struggling with evaluation... can someone give me some ideas of what evaluation entails.
Reply 38
Original post by jenny135jj
I am really nervous about BUSS3 tomorrow... i think i am understanding content and application but i am really struggling with evaluation... can someone give me some ideas of what evaluation entails.

Personally i tend to try to evaluate at the end of each paragraph of 1 adv/disadv and at the end of each question (34 marker you need to do at least a page to get to the higher marks) but i normally answer the question (yes/no) and then use my points to back this up but then i go on to say possible factors that this will depend on (e.g competitors) and other possible courses of action (e.g. if they are going with a new market to improve profitability but their current course of action still could work, then i would say they could use both and operate them as profit centres respectively and therefore allows the business not to alienate is current customer base but also to access a new market to improve profitability). I would also refer to their corporate objectives as this is what the exam is about. :biggrin:
Reply 39
When it comes to 34 marker question it is useful to use subheading.
Why? It definitely makes your writing more neat and clear in the eyes of examiner (somehow shows that you did some thinking and planning), but the most important thing that it helps to keep you concentrated on what you're writting.

Don't forget that judgement should be made partially on previous answers Q1,Q3,Q4 (but don't say "as mentioned in my previous answer" as this part could go to another examiner and he/she has no clue what are you on about), RELATE , DON'T COPY YOUR TEXT except your numerical data.

In my opinion, any answer for Q4 should look like:

The case for
Give 2 strong arguments for with full analysis and evaluation (instead of 4-5 arguments, this saves time & gives you more chance to develop your points in more depth).
You MUST use numerical data (remember, it's better to say that, for example, difference in wages between factory A and factory B is 50 %, rather than saying that factory A pays 100 and factory B pays 50, but when it comes to indexes, it is better to say that the difference is 50 index points which is a half ).
Always apply to case study, don't write things in theoretical way.
When evaluating, link things to company's corporate objectives.

The case against
Give 2 strong arguments against with full analysis and evaluation
You MUST use numerical data.
Always apply to case study, don't write things in theoretical way.
When evaluating, link things to company's corporate objectives.

The decision
When giving recommendation, you have to agree or disagree (just recommending is not enough).
Even if you agree, you need to give some recommendations (what the company should focus on more/or alternative routes to success). YOUR RECOMMENDATION MUST COMPLEMENT ANY GIVEN CORPORATE OBJECTIVE
Don't write too short when it comes to recommendation, add a bit of evaluation for your recommendation (just few lines) but don't go into too much scribbling. It's an essential part of Q4.

The most important tip:
DON'T PANIC, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE WRITING EVEN IF YOU'RE SHORT ON TIME, BUT DON'T MAKE YOUR THOUGHTS MORE COMPLEX THAN THEY SHOULD BE

YOU MUST FINISH Q4, it's better to leave q3 unfinished than skipping Q4

Don't forget that there is a large human factor when it comes to marking, examiners go through gazzzzillion of exam answers and usually, I believe, lose concentration for too mixed answers at the end. Making it neat may probably let them be thankful after tons of scribbles and react on your answer more positively.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending