Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To all you Oxbridge girls out there, where do you recommend shopping for a May ball dress? Are there any special secret shops which are unkown to those outside such hallowed circles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    To all you Oxbridge girls out there, where do you recommend shopping for a May ball dress? Are there any special secret shops which are unkown to those outside such hallowed circles?
    Erm, well mine is from TK Maxx and I got it for my school Summer Ball, but no-one here has seen it so it will do for my first May Ball, I think. There are plenty of shops though - Monsoon in particular torments me every time I walk past it!

ReputationRep:
    There's a stall on the market too, which has the odd hidden gem.. I had a look with a friend of mine who's buying a dress for her leavers' ball and she found a beautiful, unusual dress there, worth a look (though the 'changing room' is freezing in winter!)

ReputationRep:
    There is a shop near the roundabout at the end of St Clements St, in Oxford that does reasonable priced ball dresses. Cannot remember the name though, sorry....

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but may I ask what May ball is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinesegirl)
    I'm sorry, but may I ask what May ball is?
    It's a really fancy party held in May, with lots of champagne, food and attractions. Most Oxbridge colleges hold them every now and again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    It's a really fancy party held in May, with lots of champagne, food and attractions. Most Oxbridge colleges hold them every now and again.
    aren't they usually in june?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    aren't they usually in june?

MB
    Indeed, May Balls are in May week, which is the week in June after the exam period ends. I think it's usually the third week, though I was so wasted for most of last may week tbh I don't really know!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    oxford;
    the ballroom on the plain does really nice dresses (can be pricey): monsoon in town in worth checking, as is the one in bicester village (a bit hit and miss though, and only if you have access to a car): try geek in new inn hall street as well if it doesn't have to be too formal. and if you are totally loaded go to king's fabrics, ask if they can recommend a seamstress and get her to make you one! (this might require a bit of wheedling though as they aren't legally allowed to recommend anyone). and there's always debenhams if all else fails
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    TK MAXX WOO WOO!!! lol. Theyre pretty ood from there, and reasonably priced too. Only problem is you run the risk of someone else having the same on as you, but you could allways wear a stole (spelling?) or something with it instead. They are pretty good from TK MAXX tho

ReputationRep:
    the only problem with monsoon, although they have gorgeous dresses, is that you a run a large risk of someone else having the same one. At my school ball lots of people had things from monsoon, was quite funny, so for maybals im sure its even nore likely to happen.

Is there a TK Maxx in oxford anyone?

ReputationRep:
    i got my prom dress from tk maxx last year, £30 bargainous! and to my lcuk, nobody else had the same one- possibly cos i didn't know i was going to the prom till about a month before, so my dress was kinda last minute.
    do people generally buy their dresses for may balls or do u just wear your prom dress (if u went to a prom in y13)??

(Original post by Minta)
    theres a dressmaker in cmabridge who mkes nice dresses relatively cheaply
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    May ball? In Oxford Only Linacre tend to have a may ball. Comm Balls are the norm, held late June (usually around the early 20's).

Would suggest the Ballroom on The Plain, Buy in the sales for a great bargain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    the only problem with monsoon, although they have gorgeous dresses, is that you a run a large risk of someone else having the same one. At my school ball lots of people had things from monsoon, was quite funny, so for maybals im sure its even nore likely to happen.

Is there a TK Maxx in oxford anyone?

No

There is one in Cheltenham though - the no. 53 goes from Ox to Chelt

ReputationRep:
    Which street is The Ballroom on the Plain on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Which street is The Ballroom on the Plain on?
    'The Ballroom'

is on

The Plain

!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    'The Ballroom'

is on

The Plain
    ...which is the name of the roundabout at the end of Magdalen Bridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    theres a dressmaker in cmabridge who mkes nice dresses relatively cheaply
    J
    Ooh! More info please!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalandraka)
    TK MAXX WOO WOO!!! lol. Theyre pretty ood from there, and reasonably priced too. Only problem is you run the risk of someone else having the same on as you, but you could allways wear a stole (spelling?) or something with it instead. They are pretty good from TK MAXX tho
    Yeah, there is that risk, but you run it as much there as with Monsoon, only for a fraction of the price. Besides, mine was the only one in the shop when I bought it, and that was 2 years ago, so hopefully it'll be unique enough

J...I am intrigued how you know about dressmakers?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.