The Student Room Group

I was not allowed to do my QTS Skills test today!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I have completed my PGCE and have my job sorted (which is staring nxt week). I have passed my maths skills test however, on Friday i had my final attempt at my literacy and failed it by one. I rang my school to tell them asap. They still want to keep me however, can i still do my NQT year even without my literacy QTS and would i get paid. If anyone knows anything on the matter i would love to hear your advice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by shelll9
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I have completed my PGCE and have my job sorted (which is staring nxt week). I have passed my maths skills test however, on Friday i had my final attempt at my literacy and failed it by one. I rang my school to tell them asap. They still want to keep me however, can i still do my NQT year even without my literacy QTS and would i get paid. If anyone knows anything on the matter i would love to hear your advice.

I don't think you would not be able to officially start your NQT induction as you don't have QTS because you failed the literacy test (http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/statutory%20guidance%20revised%20june%202013.pdf Read point 2.10).

You would have to ask your school about the pay but you may get paid as an unqualified teacher rather then being on MPS.
Reply 22
What is the pay like for an unqualified teacher?
Reply 23
Original post by shelll9
What is the pay like for an unqualified teacher?

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6018413 you would have to check with the school what they are going to pay you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
so its really up to the school so if they want to keep you and can they pay you the full pay?
Reply 25
Original post by shelll9
so its really up to the school so if they want to keep you and can they pay you the full pay?

It's unlikely to be the full pay for a qualified teacher. It's usually I'm the 14-18k region.
Reply 26
but i wonder does it depend on the school..? can u work in Academy schools without the QTS? Sorry for all these questions I am so confused about the whole situation.
Reply 27
Original post by shelll9
but i wonder does it depend on the school..? can u work in Academy schools without the QTS? Sorry for all these questions I am so confused about the whole situation.

Yes, academies can employ teachers without QTS and I believe they can decide what they want to pay you.

Obviously whilst technically unqualified, you are not unqualified in the sense of not having completed teacher training. As you have a PGCE, they may recognise that you are practically a qualified teacher although you do not have QTS. I'd've thought it would be worth trying to negociate being paid the NQT rate, or at least just below it, rather than the unqualified teacher rate, in view of the fact that you do have a recognised teaching qualification (the PGCE).
Has the QTS test changed to Professional Skills test? Is it the same thing because this is what I'm getting the link to from the UCAS website

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/professional

Also do uni's have their own tests? It looks like Bangor Uni give you Literacy/Numeracy and Welsh tests (if you're doing Welsh) at the interview.
Reply 29
Original post by BabyGirl92
Has the QTS test changed to Professional Skills test? Is it the same thing because this is what I'm getting the link to from the UCAS website

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/professional

Also do uni's have their own tests? It looks like Bangor Uni give you Literacy/Numeracy and Welsh tests (if you're doing Welsh) at the interview.

They've always been called both the QTS tests and the Professional Skills tests, but yes they are the same tests. Unis will do their own tests yes, especially for primary.
Original post by Shelly_x
They've always been called both the QTS tests and the Professional Skills tests, but yes they are the same tests. Unis will do their own tests yes, especially for primary.

Ahh thanks was a bit confused!
Hi guys, I have just booked my test for the 13th of this month. Upon researching what exactly they require me to bring in. They've clearly stated that I need two forms of ID. That's fine, I understand what they're asking for there. However, it's also asking for evidence of my completed or submitted application at the test centre. It reads:

You must provide evidence of your completed and submitted application at the test centre. The types of acceptable documents are:
a welcome letter from a teacher training organisation, such as UCAS Teacher Training or Teach First
email correspondence from a teacher training organisation, such as Teach First, confirming your application
correspondence from a school or training provider, confirming your application
a copy of a completed application form
confirmation of, or invitation to interview from, a teacher training organisation, training provider or school
The examples above are for general guidance; it is not an exhaustive list. All versions of evidence are permitted whether an original copy, photocopy or displayed on a mobile device. If you do not bring the appropriate evidence, you will be turned away, and you will lose your first free attempt at taking the skills tests.

I'm not sure I get what it's asking me for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kane

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending