Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to avoid being alone on New Year's Eve Watch

ReputationRep:
    The only friend who I hang about with on a semi-regular basis went back to base today and all my other friends dispersed in different directions five or six years ago. I don't hang around with anyone from university, those I get on with are usually older and doing their own thing.

In all likelihood I'll be alone, while I halfheartedly sip vodka throughout the night, watching the fireworks half-obscured from my window or on the TV and then staring hatefully at Jools Holland's stupid face. My Mum will certainly be asleep upstairs. I've had some variation of this New Year infinity times. I really don't want to experience it again.

The only option for company is several offers of sex from gay men. That's really not my thing, but a hole's a hole I suppose. I'd prefer something less painful/ more flangefull. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Man, just go to a local pub or something. People are friendly on NYE. Just go in get a drink and you're guaranteed to get into a convo.

Go see a family member you never go and see, could even go see the lonely old man next door you always see in the garden and have a whiskey with him. Lots you can do.

NYE is probably the most overrated night IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Man, just go to a local pub or something. People are friendly on NYE. Just go in get a drink and you're guaranteed to get into a convo.

Go see a family member you never go and see, could even go see the lonely old man next door you always see in the garden and have a whiskey with him. Lots you can do.

The one time I went about drunk on my own looking for a conversation, people treated me like some creepy old man. Admittedly it was an afternoon in August.

I might actually just go out though, if you say people are more receptive. I don't have the phone numbers or addresses of the relatives I don't see unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I leave NYE for fam. We have like 30+ people over and we just have fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    The only option for company is several offers of sex from gay men. That's really not my thing, but a hole's a hole I suppose. I'd prefer something less painful/ more flangefull. Any suggestions?
    Yeah you were convincing until you added this bit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be alone, like I have ever since I was born for every New Years eve.

Playing the Xbox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Their names are John-Paul, Allan and 'Mo'. It is a true story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I actually didn't realize he typed that... Now i just realized i wasted my time feeding a troll

ReputationRep:
    Actually I've decided to get drunk and go to various pubs or clubs until I find conversational/Sexual success. I wasn't trolling. Nevermind and thankyouplease.

ReputationRep:
    i hope you enjoy getting your back doors truly smashed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sol1dShot)
    i hope you enjoy getting your back doors truly smashed in.
    If I were to go through with that I'd be the one smashing the doors.

ReputationRep:
    If I were to go through with that I'd be the one smashing the doors.
    Well i hope you pay for them to be repaired?

ReputationRep:
    Actually I've decided to get drunk and go to various pubs or clubs until I find conversational/Sexual success. I wasn't trolling. Nevermind and thankyouplease.
    you have no mates to go out with?

i might do same i dont have much options this year, a few that im not interested in at all tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)

That's not true at all in my experience! Far more people are drunk on NYE than a normal weekend etc and a lot are feeling emotional as they look back on what's often a crappy year and kid themselves about the next one being better. December 31st without fail has more bust-ups, break-ups and punch-ups than any other night of the year, bar none.

ReputationRep:
    I am having this same problem. I don't have as many friends as I did last year and I don't hang out with any of my uni friends outside of term. I seem to have lost contact with loads of people and at this rate will end up spending New Year with one of my parent's and their partner doing whatever they're doing as a cop out. Really don't want to end up doing this because it will be really awkward with either set.

I suggest Meetup (google it) if you can't find any friends to spend the evening with. It's full of people who meet up to do various things and I'm sure there'll be loads of events listed for New Year. You'll meet new people and nobody will mind that you're on your own cause they'll all be too

Currently trying to chat with an old friend and invite myself to whatever he's doing. It'd be nice to see him again and then I'll get to do something I'll actually enjoy!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.