The Student Room Group

Euler-Mascheroni Constant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agostino981
So n is a natural number, so x should be an integer.

Aaah! No. The notation 0\displaystyle\sum_0^{\infty} is a limit: 0=lim0n\displaystyle\sum_0^{\infty}= \lim_{\infty}\sum_0^n

(the same can be said about improper integrals - writing the infinity symbol directly is a shorthand; mathematicians are lazy!)
For the limit to make sense, the initial expression must make sense: 0n\displaystyle\sum_0^n only makes sense if nNn\in\mathbb{N}
Reply 21
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Aaah! No. The notation 0\displaystyle\sum_0^{\infty} is a limit: 0=lim0n\displaystyle\sum_0^{\infty}= \lim_{\infty}\sum_0^n

(the same can be said about improper integrals - writing the infinity symbol directly is a shorthand; mathematicians are lazy!)
For the limit to make sense, the initial expression must make sense: 0n\displaystyle\sum_0^n only makes sense if nNn\in\mathbb{N}

I know the notation.

I am so confused right now.

Summation implies n must be natural number, tho' I can probably define a summation close to an integral with infinitesimal interval.

If n is a natural number, the entire thing will be integer.
I know the notation.

I am so confused right now.

Summation implies n must be natural number, tho' I can probably define a summation close to an integral with infinitesimal interval.

If n is a natural number, the entire thing will be integer.

I don't know how to make it clearer. 0nk\displaystyle\sum_0^{n} k is an integer, limn0nk\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_0^{n} k is not.

Yes nn is an integer, but we are letting it tend to infinity, the expression diverges, and thus the limit is not an integer.
Reply 23
I don't know how to make it clearer. 0nk\displaystyle\sum_0^{n} k is an integer, limn0nk\displaystyle\lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_0^{n} k is not.

Yes nn is an integer, but we are letting it tend to infinity, the expression diverges, and thus the limit is not an integer.

I see what you mean, but you probably misunderstood.

I mean, if n is bounded to be a natural number, won't n still be a natural number even n tends to infinity?

EDIT: And the term is n!1kn1kn! \sum_{1\le k\le n} \frac{1}{k} and after summing all fractions together, the denominator will be n!n!, so it will be cancelled out.
(edited 11 years ago)
I see what you mean, but you probably misunderstood.

I mean, if n is bounded to be a natural number, won't n still be a natural number even n tends to infinity?

The point of a limit is to let n diverge. Notice how there is an n in 1nak\displaystyle\sum_{1}^n a_k but not in 1ak?\displaystyle\sum_1^{\infty}a_k?
We have let n tend to infinity, so it makes no sense to speak of a fixed n.

EDIT: And the term is n!1kn1kn! \sum_{1\le k\le n} \frac{1}{k} and after summing all fractions together, the denominator will be n!n!, so it will be cancelled out.

I am following what you wrote in the OP, and which is:

Define x=limnb(γ1kb1k+lnb)b!fixed real numbern!(n1)n(n+1)2 divergent sequence!x=\displaystyle\lim_{n\to \infty} \underbrace{b (\gamma-\sum_{1\le k \le b}\frac{1}{k}+\ln b) b!}_{\text{fixed real number}} \cdot\underbrace{n! (n-1)^{\frac{n(n+1)}{2}}}_{\text{ divergent sequence!}}

Anyway I am not going to post here anymore because it seems we've been re-hashing the same thing for the past 20 posts.

Also, I find it a bit surprising that you aren't questioning yourself given that this number appeared in 1743, that the greatest mathematicians in history have lived since then, and that it still has not been proven to be irrational. Not saying it will never be done, but don't you think the person who concocted that particular proof of the irrationality of e would have been clever enough to think "hm, I could use the same method to prove the irrationality of the Euler-Mascheroni constant too!"
Reply 25

Also, I find it a bit surprising that you aren't questioning yourself given that this number appeared in 1743, that the greatest mathematicians in history have lived since then, and that it still has not been proven to be irrational. Not saying it will never be done, but don't you think the person who concocted that particular proof of the irrationality of e would have been clever enough to think "hm, I could use the same method to prove the irrationality of the Euler-Mascheroni constant too!"

Well, the number appeared early in history doesn't mean someone had tried before. Why should mathematicians be restricted to new methods only without trying the older ones?

EDIT: It takes time to define a suitable xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Not saying it will never be done, but don't you think the person who concocted that particular proof of the irrationality of e would have been clever enough to think "hm, I could use the same method to prove the irrationality of the Euler-Mascheroni constant too!"

Notably, the first person to prove ee irrational being Euler himself.
Original post by jack.hadamard
Notably, the first person to prove ee irrational being Euler himself.

Yep, I was referring to Fourier's. Don't think I've ever seen Euler's.
Yep, I was referring to Fourier's. Don't think I've ever seen Euler's.

http://www.maa.org/editorial/euler/how%20Euler%20Did%20It%2028%20e%20is%20irrational.pdf
Reply 29
I personally prefer Fourier's proof more than Euler's.

Quick Reply

Latest