Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Completely forgotten how to do this, could someone explain pls and also write down the percentage a economy formula cos I kinda forgot it positive rep WILL be given!!!

In the past 150 years, three different processes have been used to extract bromine from potassium bromide. These processes are illustrated below.

Extraction Process 1
    2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 → MnSO4 + K2SO4 + 2H2O + Br2

Extraction Process 2

The reaction of solid potassium bromide with concentrated sulfuric acid.

Extraction Process 3

The reaction of aqueous potassium bromide with chlorine gas.

Write an equation for Extraction Process 2 and an equation for Extraction Process 3. Calculate the percentage atom economy for the extraction of bromine from potassium bromide by Extraction Process 3. Suggest why Extraction Process 3 is the method in large-scale use today.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by xDesertRose)
    Completely forgotten how to do this, could someone explain pls and also write down the percentage a economy formula cos I kinda forgot it positive rep WILL be given!!!

In the past 150 years, three different processes have been used to extract bromine from potassium bromide. These processes are illustrated below.

Extraction Process 1
    2KBr + MnO2 + 2H2SO4 → MnSO4 + K2SO4 + 2H2O + Br2

Extraction Process 2

The reaction of solid potassium bromide with concentrated sulfuric acid.

Extraction Process 3

The reaction of aqueous potassium bromide with chlorine gas.

Write an equation for Extraction Process 2 and an equation for Extraction Process 3. Calculate the percentage atom economy for the extraction of bromine from potassium bromide by Extraction Process 3. Suggest why Extraction Process 3 is the method in large-scale use today.
    I presume you know how to write out the balanced equations.

Percentage atom economy is given by:

\dfrac{\mathrm{Mass\ of \ desired \ product}}{\mathrm{Total \ mass \ of \ reactants}} \times 100

Use the Ar and Mr values in the equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I presume you know how to write out the balanced equations.

Percentage atom economy is given by:

\dfrac{\mathrm{Mass\ of \ desired \ product}}{\mathrm{Total \ mass \ of \ reactants}} \times 100

Use the Ar and Mr values in the equation.
    Thanks! Also how would you write out the equation for process 2?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by xDesertRose)
    Thanks! Also how would you write out the equation for process 2?
    There are a few possible answers for this question, I think. The products formed could be:

KHSO4or K2SO4
    Br2
    SO2
    H2O

See if you can write a balanced equation now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    There are a few possible answers for this question, I think. The products formed could be:

KHSO4or K2SO4
    Br2
    SO2
    H2O

See if you can write a balanced equation now.
    Yep seems to be simple now thanks

ReputationRep:
    calculate atom economy of iron from iron oxide.

Fe2 O3+3CO= 2Fe+3CO2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.