The Student Room Group

Mature students going to uni

hi i'm a mature student off to uni in september 2013 and i was wondering if there are any other ature students on here?
there are lots to think about for anyone, but one thing i havent really managed to find out from any of the uni's i have offers from yet is what happens if you need to deffer/suspend study during your degree....??:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Page_pool
hi i'm a mature student off to uni in september 2013 and i was wondering if there are any other ature students on here?
there are lots to think about for anyone, but one thing i havent really managed to find out from any of the uni's i have offers from yet is what happens if you need to deffer/suspend study during your degree....??:confused:

Hi, I'm a mature student. It is possible to defer/suspend your studies part way through your degree, if you have special circumstances (family illness, bereavement, etc.) so set your mind at rest.

You will (or should) have an Academic Adviser and your first port of call in any difficulty should be him/her, as you can be referred on to counselling, disability support (mental health issues such as depression, anxiety etc. count as disability) and of course, the Academic Adviser can also write a letter of support should you need to defer/suspend.

I don't know how it would impact on your Student Loan however and it may be better, if you think there may come a time when you are struggling with your studies, to consider part-time from the outset, if that's possible (you don't say what course you're doing). Also remember that if you're doing a course such as Nursing, there will be work placements, which will have a range of hours/shifts, so if you have a family, consider the impact of night shifts, long days, etc. on your family commitments.

Hope this helps and good luck with your studies xx
Reply 2
Original post by Galadriel
Hi, I'm a mature student. It is possible to defer/suspend your studies part way through your degree, if you have special circumstances (family illness, bereavement, etc.) so set your mind at rest.

You will (or should) have an Academic Adviser and your first port of call in any difficulty should be him/her, as you can be referred on to counselling, disability support (mental health issues such as depression, anxiety etc. count as disability) and of course, the Academic Adviser can also write a letter of support should you need to defer/suspend.

I don't know how it would impact on your Student Loan however and it may be better, if you think there may come a time when you are struggling with your studies, to consider part-time from the outset, if that's possible (you don't say what course you're doing). Also remember that if you're doing a course such as Nursing, there will be work placements, which will have a range of hours/shifts, so if you have a family, consider the impact of night shifts, long days, etc. on your family commitments.

Hope this helps and good luck with your studies xx

many thanks, for the advice, the courses i am looking at are generally sport courses, i am hoping to be a sports teacher, but i am awaiting to be tested for something, and it may mean i cant be a teacher so for safety i have applied for sports courses and intend to do a PGCE afterwards, but as an older student, i have responcibilities, i don't have children, but my mother is not a well lady and should she become ill, i would want to know if i needed to take time out that i could, also there is the consideration of children. i have no intention of becoming pregnant you understand, however i don't want to wreck my education if something should happen... i am a meticulous planned and like to consider every possibiity...
Reply 3
Hi there i too am a mature student looking to study sports at uni in 2013.

I've been accepted by Anglia Ruskin for Sports coaching and physical education but i was also given an unconditional for sport science and 2 other courses at Southampton solent.

You certainly wont be alone when it comes to being a mature student from what i've read on here and experienced at friends university's. In fact i'd say there is an staggering number of mature students going back into education at this time. Maybe that's just my perception of things but it's not uncommon to meet or live with people from all ages ranges and back grounds.

All the best with finding the right course for you!
Reply 4
Original post by dave_123
Hi there i too am a mature student looking to study sports at uni in 2013.

I've been accepted by Anglia Ruskin for Sports coaching and physical education but i was also given an unconditional for sport science and 2 other courses at Southampton solent.

You certainly wont be alone when it comes to being a mature student from what i've read on here and experienced at friends university's. In fact i'd say there is an staggering number of mature students going back into education at this time. Maybe that's just my perception of things but it's not uncommon to meet or live with people from all ages ranges and back grounds.

All the best with finding the right course for you!

thanks for the positive thoughts i am really looking forward to going to uni, but currently considering diffureing for a year to ensure i have enough back up funds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending