Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being as it's now under a week before we go (!), it might be useful to share tips as to what we should be taking (and what not to forget!).

Base Layers
    It's going to be cold! I'll be taking thermals, tshirts and a small fleece jacket. Of course i'll have my ski jacket over this. This may end up being one layer too many, but it's forecast to be damn cold and it's always easier to wear one layer less! High up socks are a must.

Accessories
    When i've been before i've worn a hat which covers my ears, a snood type thing, goggles/sunglasses and gloves (obviously!). Lip balm is a good idea, too.

Evenings
    I'll be bringing swim shorts, a towel, jeans, jogging bottoms & ear plugs (just in case someone in the room snores!). Oh, and a couple of shirts for going out.

Then the usual - EHIC card, passport, e-ticket, money (& wallet), headphones, deoderant!

Must remember my contact lenses this year and not leave them at Stansted Airport! Last year was fun after that! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No change of shoes??!!

ReputationRep:
    Sallopettes as well, don't forget them.
    Helmet if you've got one.
    Handwarmers (actually surprisingly useful for when the chair lift gets stuck as you're halfway up, and you dropped a glove at the start ).
    Gadgets and chargers.
    Stuff to do on the coach (in my case pillow and earphones [only joking I'm not THAT boring])

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    No change of shoes??!!
    I'm taking walking boots and and the Vans I'll be wearing on the coach but that's about it. Don't fancy falling on my arse!

I would suggest people buy/rent a helmet. Bring a thick pair of ski gloves then a thinner pair of normal gloves that don't make things too difficult to use your fingers.

Something to warm your neck like a scarf or snood/gaiter.

Bring at least three pairs of ski socks! You can wash them off days but one pair of socks really won't do it haha.

I'm taking a camping towel which dries really quickly and is very compact.

Sleeping bag would be useful along with a bottle to put drink in for the slopes and snacks for the slopes too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Something to warm your neck like a scarf or snood/gaiter.
    Yeah, loads of people don't think they'll need one, but when you're moving, the wind freezes your face so quick.

(don't think a sleeping bag is needed though. )

ReputationRep:
    Well on top of what you mentioned, i'm bringing:

- A deck of cards
    - Book of card games
    - Macbook
    - Phone
    - Doughnut scarf (oh yeah it's a snood!)
    - Bikini
    - My australian o'neill hat
    - iPod
    - Maybe a travel pillow
    - Alcohol :dots:

EDIT: not a bikini, bathing clothes lol!

(Original post by Kemik)
    I'm taking a camping towel which dries really quickly and is very compact.
    Where can I get a towel like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunu Bot)
    Well on top of what you mentioned, i'm bringing:

- A deck of cards
    - Book of card games
    - Macbook
    - Phone
    - Doughnut scarf (oh yeah it's a snood!)
    - Bikini
    - My australian o'neill hat
    - iPod
    - Maybe a travel pillow

EDIT: not a bikini, bathing clothes lol!

Travel pillow...now there's an idea!
    Macbook though? Planning on being unsociable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_otbc)
    Travel pillow...now there's an idea!
    Macbook though? Planning on being unsociable?
    Free WiFi in our hotel. Can't argue with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_otbc)
    Travel pillow..
    I was planning on taking an actual pillow, just incase I felt like sleeping on the coach.
    Cant decide if it would be too big or not.

ReputationRep:
    On the e-ticket it says that hard case luggage will not be accepted on the coach, does anyone know anymore about what this actually means?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pariner)
    On the e-ticket it says that hard case luggage will not be accepted on the coach, does anyone know anymore about what this actually means?
    i dont know but i was going to post about this as well. there are some things on that ticket that are misleading among other things to do with the accommodation, which ive tried to contact K about to no avail (facebook and ski alpine service). I have no idea what he's up to right now or why he hasn't posted on the forums for ages. we should at the very least have an email address or something that we can use to get through to our group leader, before the chance and time we have to resolve those issues, vanishes. time is getting on now, its getting to less than a week before the trip and we havent heard anything from K or CJ for ages. firstly, im disappointed with the coach - the strictness on the luggage, i will not bring a snowboard so i didnt get the equipment cabin service, but i have a helmet and that takes up a specific amount of room, i dont know what the hell im gonna do. the other thing is it says that an email has been sent out with details on the insurance policy and contact details of the group leader/ski rep. well i didnt get this email. now im stuck chasing around little bits of info that i cant find. really hope we hear something from the organisers before it is too late for anything to be changed. it may already have got to that stage but a response would only be polite.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know but i was going to post about this as well. there are some things on that ticket that are misleading among other things to do with the accommodation, which ive tried to contact K about to no avail (facebook and ski alpine service). I have no idea what he's up to right now or why he hasn't posted on the forums for ages. we should at the very least have an email address or something that we can use to get through to our group leader, before the chance and time we have to resolve those issues, vanishes. time is getting on now, its getting to less than a week before the trip and we havent heard anything from K or CJ for ages. firstly, im disappointed with the coach - the strictness on the luggage, i will not bring a snowboard so i didnt get the equipment cabin service, but i have a helmet and that takes up a specific amount of room, i dont know what the hell im gonna do. the other thing is it says that an email has been sent out with details on the insurance policy and contact details of the group leader/ski rep. well i didnt get this email. now im stuck chasing around little bits of info that i cant find. really hope we hear something from the organisers before it is too late for anything to be changed. it may already have got to that stage but a response would only be polite.
    Tbh, I think that the coach rules are just what you are "technically" the allowed, like when you go on a train or national express. As long as you have the right number of bags I doubt that they will care about size or type. I think they only get picky if the storage area is full and need more room. (which I doubt it will be)

ReputationRep:
    Lots and lots of Lip Balmy type stuff
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pariner)
    From last year it's less that they won't be allowed, it's more that they're discouraged. If a coach full of people brought hard cases, they wouldn't all get on. If people bring squishy backpacks you can much easier fit them in and make use of all the hold space. Plenty of people did bring hard cases last year - if that's what you've got, then that's cool.

i dont know but i was going to post about this as well. there are some things on that ticket that are misleading among other things to do with the accommodation, which ive tried to contact K about to no avail (facebook and ski alpine service).
    Things happen, which has meant K has been pretty busy over the festive period. If anything is urgent, Ski Alpine are available to take calls else I will be checking back here.

firstly, im disappointed with the coach - the strictness on the luggage, i will not bring a snowboard so i didnt get the equipment cabin service, but i have a helmet and that takes up a specific amount of room, i dont know what the hell im gonna do.
    What's the issue with the helmet? What's putting you off bringing it? Just attach it to your luggage, that'll be fine.

the other thing is it says that an email has been sent out with details on the insurance policy and contact details of the group leader/ski rep. well i didnt get this email. now im stuck chasing around little bits of info that i cant find. really hope we hear something from the organisers before it is too late for anything to be changed. it may already have got to that stage but a response would only be polite.
    As mentioned in the ticket, you should have received something about insurance when you booked, otherwise you need to get in touch with Ski Alpine. All info and a card will be given out when we get to resort, which you'll just need to fill out and carry around for the trip.

If anyone has any other questions, just quote me/call ski alpine

ReputationRep:
    Where can I get a towel like that
    Go Outdoors or online. Google Micro fibre towel/ camping towel. They're about £10.

Thanks for clearing things up CJ, apologies for being m.i.a guys, I've been on paternity leave but looking forward to seeing you all in resort on the 5th.
      Any questions please direct them to ski alpine first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by K)
      Thanks for clearing things up CJ, apologies for being m.i.a guys, I've been on paternity leave but looking forward to seeing you all in resort on the 5th.
      Are you flying out mate? I was tempted to do it coming back but getting from Luton (cheap flights) to Reading is a huge pain in the bum.

ReputationRep:
      Anyone packed smart-ish shoes/trainers for nights out, or are you just taking the one pair of waterproof shoes?

ReputationRep:
      Personally got a pair of trainers that i'll be wearing there and a pair of converse for night time / travel there.

(Original post by Kemik)
        Are you flying out mate? I was tempted to do it coming back but getting from Luton (cheap flights) to Reading is a huge pain in the bum.
        I am yeah, going from Gatwick tomorrow, hoping to be with you all by 7:30

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
      Updated: January 4, 2013
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.