Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you distinguish between unlawful act manslaughter and murder? Please help! Also does anyone have a good lead on what th evaluative question may be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by southweststudent)
    How do you distinguish between unlawful act manslaughter and murder? Please help! Also does anyone have a good lead on what th evaluative question may be?
    The mens rea is different. Unlawful Act manslaughter you only have the mens rea for assault, battery or abh whereas murder you have intention to kill or cause gbh. Unlawful Act manslaughter therefore can be done recklessly unlike murder where only intention will suffice (Malloney). I've been told that the essay might be defences but my teacher said you can never predict it. I hope this helped. I'm finding everything confusing too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WallflowerHarves)
    The mens rea is different. Unlawful Act manslaughter you only have the mens rea for assault, battery or abh whereas murder you have intention to kill or cause gbh. Unlawful Act manslaughter therefore can be done recklessly unlike murder where only intention will suffice (Malloney). I've been told that the essay might be defences but my teacher said you can never predict it. I hope this helped. I'm finding everything confusing too
    Ah yeah of course! That was me being stupid haha! I thought it may be the defences since that hasn't come up in a while but as you say you never know. How much revision have you done so far?

ReputationRep:
    I am not feeling at all confident about this exam - keep mixing up what Voluntary Intoxication is a defence for and what its not a defence for!

ReputationRep:
    I'm most worried about the defences...the only one I properly understand is consent! Plus, if we conclude that someone isn't guilty of say gross negligent manslaughter, do we simply state at the end that they wouldn't be liable for that at leave it like that? Or do we need to state something else? It's the little things that are worrying me.....
    I really hope murder comes up

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah of course! That was me being stupid haha! I thought it may be the defences since that hasn't come up in a while but as you say you never know. How much revision have you done so far?
    I've been trying to do an hour a day but I'm getting caught up with loss of control and diminished responsibility. I just keep getting stressed over stupid things like of you explore two offences do you say which they "jury would likely choose" or "they'd be liable for either x or y?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to do an hour a day but I'm getting caught up with loss of control and diminished responsibility. I just keep getting stressed over stupid things like of you explore two offences do you say which they "jury would likely choose" or "they'd be liable for either x or y?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the type of things I've been stressing about! I think I'd say 'they'd be liable for either x or y'

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Juries don't decide whether it's Loss of Control or Diminished Responsibility, it's the Defence that will try for the most likely and reasonable charge.

At the start of you first paragraph you'd say "X may be liable for Voluntary manslaughter of Y" You'd then state whether what the scenario says whether it's Loss of Control or Diminished Responsibility.

It's usually quite simple to see whether you are going to be talking about LOC or DR as it may state something like "X was diagnosed with a paranoid disorder that causes them to attack people that stare at her for too long" This would show that you will be needing to write about DR. If the scenario says something a long the lines of "X was furious by what Y said and hit Y with a golf club in the head that they were holding" This would show LOC.

I'm going over Criticisms, Defences and Involuntary Manslaughter then I am good to go.

Anything else you need just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rossatron)
    Juries don't decide whether it's Loss of Control or Diminished Responsibility, it's the Defence that will try for the most likely and reasonable charge.

At the start of you first paragraph you'd say "X may be liable for Voluntary manslaughter of Y" You'd then state whether what the scenario says whether it's Loss of Control or Diminished Responsibility.

It's usually quite simple to see whether you are going to be talking about LOC or DR as it may state something like "X was diagnosed with a paranoid disorder that causes them to attack people that stare at her for too long" This would show that you will be needing to write about DR. If the scenario says something a long the lines of "X was furious by what Y said and hit Y with a golf club in the head that they were holding" This would show LOC.

I'm going over Criticisms, Defences and Involuntary Manslaughter then I am good to go.

Anything else you need just ask.
    I think you misunderstood me. I understand the defences and how you write them. I was referring to nf offences in the second part regarding when you explore say S20 and 18 and wondering how to close that. I will probably do involuntary manslaughter though because voluntary is just a ballache. Sorry for the confusion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am ridiculously happy that I'm not taking this in Jan. I need to start my revision for June now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    I am ridiculously happy that I'm not taking this in Jan. I need to start my revision for June now.
    Lucky! When are you doing unit 4?

ReputationRep:
    I have a question... Regarding the questions from each scenario, will there always be one section that has say murder? Or involuntary manslaughter?
    And another really basic question.... If D commits unlawful act manslaughter, is it always done by ClLA or CLB?

ReputationRep:
    Lucky! When are you doing unit 4?
    Taking both in June. I'll only have four exams too. I feel rather happy at that, but I need to get sorted. My mock exam will be the paper you actually sit though, so I'm rather nervous. Still haven't finished unit 3 fully. Mainly because we've extensively covered the topics but I think that's better

I took all June exams last year and did okay, although there is no re-take possibility this year. Which sucks

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Can anyone tell me how many general defences I need to learn? Or do I have to learn all of them? I was planning on learning intoxication, self defence and consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    Hey! Can anyone tell me how many general defences I need to learn? Or do I have to learn all of them? I was planning on learning intoxication, self defence and consent.
    You have to know them all, but for the evaluative question you only need to evaluate two

ReputationRep:
    You have to know them all, but for the evaluative question you only need to evaluate two
    Okay! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Could I ask What are everyone's revision techniques? In lesson, mock papers, and the like I understand pretty much all of the concepts we have to know - but I'm struggling incredibly to make it stick in my head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallifreyan95)
    Could I ask What are everyone's revision techniques? In lesson, mock papers, and the like I understand pretty much all of the concepts we have to know - but I'm struggling incredibly to make it stick in my head!
    You're in the same position as me! Ive done so many past papers but nothing seems to fully stick :/ I've tried rewriting the key points from each bit several times too (like what you must satisfy for loss of control) but I'm not sure if that's working either

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a website to look at model answers? I find them really useful but can't seem to find any.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be able to help me with the evaluative questions? as they are my weakest points ironically

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.