Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is your favorite president/prime minister? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Who is your favorite president/prime minister? And why?

ReputationRep:
    There are so many different interpretations of the word 'favorite' that its impossible to answer this question.

Do you mean who we think is the most successful? Which we would most like to have a drink with? The one we have the most amount of positive affection towards? I would probably give three seperate answers to each of those questions.

Edit: I'll answer as best as I can. People like to forget how President Lincoln was a white supremisist who thought blacks were inferior. They like to forget that Churchill called for the gassing of native populations. We forget almost all 19th century politicians opposed the legality of homosexuality and basic womans rights, allowing husbands to beat and abuse their wives, children and anyone else under their protection. They like to forget how corrupt every politician in the 70's was, how almost all in the 50's were unrepentant Imperialists who supported the surpression of the Mao Mao through torture. I could forgive Thatcher's economic policies, but not section 28, which Major also supported.

People seem to forget how hateful of women past political parties and groups were.

Honestly as bad as we think they were, Blair, Brown and now Cameron are actually some of the best politicians we have ever had as a nation. They support individual rights, they let women speak and vote, which is nice. They don't execute or imprision gay people for the crime of being gay. When they go to war, its because they're trying to stop people from being murdered by Tyrants, not because they are the tyrants themselves. We are actually going through a golden age of politics as politicians become boring and don't disagree that much, which is because they are all generally right and not that crazy anymore.

I really don't want to say it, but I think that Tony Blair might actually be our best ever prime minister, not out of his own merits, but because he has been the least bad. I hoped Cameron would be better, but the basic question over economic credibility at the moment means he isn't. This has made me sad, so I'm going to drink whiskey.

ReputationRep:
    Past or present? Since this is in the history section i'm going with my personal favourite Winston Churchill

ReputationRep:
    My favourite of all time is Winston. And of the ones who have been Prime minister during my lifetime? Well, it would be Major, Cameron (a close second), Brown and then Blair.

ReputationRep:
    My favorite prime minister was Harold Wilson, mainly for his social policies - Legalising abortion, leagalising homosexuality, getting rid of the death penalty and relaxing censorship laws, making the country overall more equal I also like how he reformed the education system

ReputationRep:
    Favorite US president Ronald Reagan
    Favorite Primeminster of my great country, Margaret Thatcher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _-_Ella_-_)
    Who is your favorite president/prime minister? And why?
    Putin

USA and Europe fears him

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Thatcher

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Thatcher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertH96)
    Favorite US president Ronald Reagan
    Favorite Primeminster of my great country, Margaret Thatcher
    Margaret Thatcher is the ******* she is one of the initiators of Dulles Doctrine

ReputationRep:
    Harold Wilson and FDR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    My favourite of all time is Winston. And of the ones who have been Prime minister during my lifetime? Well, it would be Major, Cameron (a close second), Brown and then Blair.
    Winston Churchil is the *******,he is the initiator of bombing of Dresden.The area of ​​complete destruction of Dresden in 4 times the area of ​​the zone of complete destruction in Nagasaki. Population before bombing 629,713 people (not counting refugees), after - 369 000.80% of these people were peaceful civilians.
    Total loss of British civilians during the war - 92000.That means that Winston Churchil managed to kill more peaceful civilians for the morning than Hitler for all the years of war!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaniilKaya)
    Winston Churchil is the *******,he is the initiator of bombing of Dresden.The area of ​​complete destruction of Dresden in 4 times the area of ​​the zone of complete destruction in Nagasaki. Population before bombing 629,713 people (not counting refugees), after - 369 000.80% of these people were peaceful civilians.
    Total loss of British civilians during the war - 92000.That means that Winston Churchil managed to kill more peaceful civilians for the morning than Hitler for all the years of war!!!!!!!!!!
    Your figures are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Your figures are wrong.
    And I know why you think my figures are wrong. Because you are learning a history made by evil-capitalists (between 22000-25000 were killed)
    The true history writes winners (USSR)
    Winners(USSR) writes the history of losers (USA, Britain, Third Reich)

Even Ancient Greeks indulged in this

Why I compared USA and Britain to Third Reich?
    Because they didn't win nothing!!

ReputationRep:
    And I know why you think my figures are wrong. Because you are learning a history made by evil-capitalists (between 22000-25000 were killed)
    The true history writes winners (USSR)
    Winners(USSR) writes the history of losers (USA, Britain, Third Reich)
    Your figures have changed, and quite dramatically.

By the looks of it, you learn your history from Nazis. I'm happy to learn mine from capitalists. Capitalism rules the way!

ReputationRep:
    Your figures have changed, and quite dramatically.

By the looks of it, you learn your history from Nazis. I'm happy to learn mine from capitalists. Capitalism rules the way!
    FALSE Figures made by evil-capitalists - 22000-25000
    THE TRUE Figure that annoys evil-capitalists - 300000+

ReputationRep:
    Peel, was the most important factor in making Britain the economic monster it was in the mid-late 19th century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Peel, was the most important factor in making Britain the economic monster it was in the mid-late 19th century.
    I never criticize British tradition, culture and nation
    I criticize only government

ReputationRep:
    FALSE Figures made by evil-capitalists - 22000-25000
    THE TRUE Figure that annoys evil-capitalists - 300000+
    Figure accepted by evil-capitalists after healthy debate with the evidence - 22000-25000
    THE TRUE Figure that annoys evil-capitalists invented by the evil Nazi's - 300000+

ReputationRep:
    Figure accepted by evil-capitalists after healthy debate with the evidence - 22000-25000
    THE TRUE Figure that annoys evil-capitalists invented by the evil Nazi's - 300000+

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.