Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I was just wondering what the point of this course is? I understand you can use it as a gateway to get into teaching.. But what does this course entail and what career could I get after studying this?

I only ask as I applied for early years education and have had a couple of conditional offers.. But Nottingham Trent declined my application and have offered me a place (unconditionally) on this course instead.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think this course sounds really interesting and fun For the record, I don't study it but I considered doing Early Years Education at uni last year, primarily because of the fact that I loved my work experience in a nursery.
    I think this degree would allow you to do a PGCE so you can teach young children, but there are many other careers you could go into like playwork.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyLL)
    Hi all, I was just wondering what the point of this course is? I understand you can use it as a gateway to get into teaching.. But what does this course entail and what career could I get after studying this?

I only ask as I applied for early years education and have had a couple of conditional offers.. But Nottingham Trent declined my application and have offered me a place (unconditionally) on this course instead.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,
    I study this Early Years and Educational Development at NTU in first year.
    If I'm being completely honest, with this course you get the same qualification (or a more diverse one really) than a early years teaching course but with less work. I currently have an hour on Monday, 4 on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday lectures but my friends on the teaching courses have much more. You also don't do placements till second year, however you still end up studying 4 years (if you want to do PGCE after). Early Years is as it sounds, about babies to about 7 years and looking at how they learn. We do some practical sessions (go into the woods, experience play) but mostly lectures. Educational development is looking at how anyone learns (from babies to adults) and is more looking at the psychology of learning and how the brain works.
    There are no exams, just coursework.
    Also, you're opened up to more careers (in case obviously you change your mind about teaching or can't find a job in teaching), like educational development is useful from working in a school to the NHS to managerial jobs really.
    Any other questions feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused what to d now :'(I've basically applied to do Social work at NTU and i've got an interview, however I really want to do Early Years and Educational Development now. At the start it was a decision between the two courses, but my ucas application has been sent off, and i feel i won't get onto the course now, because of the number of places! I'm really confused what to do, help! Ps: could i try clearing??? AND will this mean i need to write a new personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glitterphobia)
    Hi,
    I study this Early Years and Educational Development at NTU in first year.
    If I'm being completely honest, with this course you get the same qualification (or a more diverse one really) than a early years teaching course but with less work. I currently have an hour on Monday, 4 on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday lectures but my friends on the teaching courses have much more. You also don't do placements till second year, however you still end up studying 4 years (if you want to do PGCE after). Early Years is as it sounds, about babies to about 7 years and looking at how they learn. We do some practical sessions (go into the woods, experience play) but mostly lectures. Educational development is looking at how anyone learns (from babies to adults) and is more looking at the psychology of learning and how the brain works.
    There are no exams, just coursework.
    Also, you're opened up to more careers (in case obviously you change your mind about teaching or can't find a job in teaching), like educational development is useful from working in a school to the NHS to managerial jobs really.
    Any other questions feel free to ask
    Thank you!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InOneDirection)
    I'm really confused what to d now :'(I've basically applied to do Social work at NTU and i've got an interview, however I really want to do Early Years and Educational Development now. At the start it was a decision between the two courses, but my ucas application has been sent off, and i feel i won't get onto the course now, because of the number of places! I'm really confused what to do, help! Ps: could i try clearing??? AND will this mean i need to write a new personal statement?
    I'm really sorry but I'm not 100% sure how clearing works. I hope everything works out for you and that you get on to the course you want. I've accepted my place at NTU and am really excited xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyLL)
    I'm really sorry but I'm not 100% sure how clearing works. I hope everything works out for you and that you get on to the course you want. I've accepted my place at NTU and am really excited xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, don't worry about it<3 I'll ask my form tutor and see how it works. Thank you, I hope so, fingers crossed! Aw that's good to hear x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've also been offered an unconditional for early years and educational devel at nottingham trent.. after being rejected for the teaching degree. Just wondering if anyone knows whether it's a good course to apply for a PGCE with? It's my back up uni really but i don't wanna spend 27,000 and not be able to get onto a PGCE course after it! :P If anyone knows any info really it'd be brill! Thankyou x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle.b)
    Hi, I've also been offered an unconditional for early years and educational devel at nottingham trent.. after being rejected for the teaching degree. Just wondering if anyone knows whether it's a good course to apply for a PGCE with? It's my back up uni really but i don't wanna spend 27,000 and not be able to get onto a PGCE course after it! :P If anyone knows any info really it'd be brill! Thankyou x
    Hi,
    I know you get an interview at ntu for pgce automatically on completion of the course

ReputationRep:
    Heelo, can someone please help me, I have applied to study primary education at uni but i have decided now i would prefer to do this course..so i was planning on applying through ucas extra,

Anyway with this course do you know if it means I can definitely become a primary teacher, also do they interview for this course? As i already have my grades as i took a year out,

finally can i keep my same personal statement do you think?

someone pleaseee help me i am stressing out hahah! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbiecutie)
    Heelo, can someone please help me, I have applied to study primary education at uni but i have decided now i would prefer to do this course..so i was planning on applying through ucas extra,

Anyway with this course do you know if it means I can definitely become a primary teacher, also do they interview for this course? As i already have my grades as i took a year out,

finally can i keep my same personal statement do you think?

someone pleaseee help me i am stressing out hahah! xxx
    Yooo, I was literally in the same boat about 2 months ago! I've took a year out too and wanted to do primary ed and eventually be a teacher, but when I applied to Nottingham Trent they rejected me for primary ed and offered me an unconditional in this, so I didn't need an interview.
    I read up on it loads and the like first career path is primary teaching and it might be different at other unis but Nottingham Trent offer you an automatic interview for a pgce which is good cos I think they're quite hard to get onto.
    And I think it'll just be a very similar personal statement? I didn't have to write another one for nott Trent
    I've decided to accept my offer cos tbh I think it'll open more doors as you can do other things with the degree other than just teaching - hope any of that helped / made sense haha
    What unis have you applied to so far?? Xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.