Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just can't seem to settle on a career path!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think I have a pathological fear of choosing what I want to do.

I'm generally an indecisive person, and lots of career paths seem really interesting to me. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to do medicine. I put in a lot of work towards this but after about a year and a half I started feeling more and more like I'd be interested in doing Biological research. I felt really guilty about it because I had told my whole family and I seemed so set on medicine before. I told them and felt great and then felt I was on the path I truly wanted. But then after a few weeks Biology seemed sooo boring and all I wanted to do was physics. Again came the guilt, the eventual announcement and the satisfaction that i was now doing what I truly wanted to do.

Then after a couple of months it happened again!! Physics suddenly started seeming so boring and I wanted to do maths and then started to want to do computer science and then economics. I'm trying so hard to make a decision but I think I just have some sort of mental complex that makes me want to do anything I feel like i can't (because of the guilt and feeling like I've already made my decision).

Logically, doing maths and physics seems like the best option but I just don't feel as excited as I used to, but i think thats just because I'm a little messed up. Should I just stick with physics?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? Are you doing GCSEs or A-levels?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    How old are you? Are you doing GCSEs or A-levels?
    He's 16, doing A-levels.

to the OP:

Basically you're stuck between Biology, Physics, Maths, Computer Science and Economics.

Definitely consider a combined course You could easily mix three of them with something like Maths+Economics, or Maths+Physics, or Combined Honours at Durham, or Natural Sciences at Cambridge etc.

You could take MORSE at Warwick, which is a Maths-based course mixing Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Economics.

My advice: Go on Wikipedia, start with the title page for each subject, browse for a bit and see where it takes you, and how interested you are in what you read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)
    I think I have a pathological fear of choosing what I want to do.

I'm generally an indecisive person, and lots of career paths seem really interesting to me. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to do medicine. I put in a lot of work towards this but after about a year and a half I started feeling more and more like I'd be interested in doing Biological research. I felt really guilty about it because I had told my whole family and I seemed so set on medicine before. I told them and felt great and then felt I was on the path I truly wanted. But then after a few weeks Biology seemed sooo boring and all I wanted to do was physics. Again came the guilt, the eventual announcement and the satisfaction that i was now doing what I truly wanted to do.

Then after a couple of months it happened again!! Physics suddenly started seeming so boring and I wanted to do maths and then started to want to do computer science and then economics. I'm trying so hard to make a decision but I think I just have some sort of mental complex that makes me want to do anything I feel like i can't (because of the guilt and feeling like I've already made my decision).

Logically, doing maths and physics seems like the best option but I just don't feel as excited as I used to, but i think thats just because I'm a little messed up. Should I just stick with physics?
    I get this often, its really hard to choose. Just look at what Universities offer. A degree in Maths and Physics would leave your career options wide open.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

ReputationRep:
    But see my problem is not that I want to do all of them, generally at one time I only want to do one of them, its just that once I've made my decision I seem to want to do another thing. I would say that biology and econ could probably be cut out, it was just to make the point that I seem to want to do everything.
    To me now comp science seems really cool but I just know that once I've decided that for sure I'll want to do Russian Politics and Philosophy or something. Should I just tell myself to do the most logical one rather than just chasing these whims?

ReputationRep:
    But see my problem is not that I want to do all of them, generally at one time I only want to do one of them, its just that once I've made my decision I seem to want to do another thing. I would say that biology and econ could probably be cut out, it was just to make the point that I seem to want to do everything.To me now comp science seems really cool but I just know that once I've decided that for sure I'll want to do Russian Politics and Philosophy or something. Should I just tell myself to do the most logical one rather than just chasing these whims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GAB)
    A degree in Maths and Physics would leave your career options wide open
    Would pure maths not leave the most doors open? And then I can try and emphasize on computer science or physics (or economics ) from there. I'm thinking that no matter which way I go I want to be on the mathematical side of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)
    Would pure maths not leave the most doors open? And then I can try and emphasize on computer science or physics (or economics ) from there. I'm thinking that no matter which way I go I want to be on the mathematical side of it
    Well you could do a degree in Maths. You may have the options to do modules in physics/mechanics or computer science or Quantitative economics, you'll need to look at the course. If you enjoy Pure Maths enough, then do that.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Also, you could look at degrees which aren't specifically the same as any of your A-Level choices, and are more career based. You could also find out more about possible careers and try and get some work experience to see if you would actually like it, I found that really helped me in choosing my course. If you really put time into looking at careers you might get a slightly clearer idea about what you want to do as your degree. If not, I would recommend going for a joint honours or some sort of combined degree, but make sure there are jobs to fit that degree after you graduate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.