Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

procedural programming Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hello guys, could really use some help with this coursework:

a. Produce a Fact Sheet that explains in detail each of the key features listed below, explaining why they are important. Use examples to demonstrate your understanding:

Key Features

Variables
    Local variables, Global variables & Static variables

Control Structures
    Fixed loop, Pre-check loop, Post-check loop, Break-points, Conditional Commands & Boolean Operators
    b. On your fact sheet explain the tools and techniques listed below, explaining why they are important. Use examples to demonstrate your understanding:

Tools:
    Procedures, Functions & Libraries

Techniques:
    Parameters, Debugging & Modularity

if you know something about these key features please post, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Are there any in particular you are having trouble understanding? Any fairly competent programmer should know about all of those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Are there any in particular you are having trouble understanding? Any fairly competent programmer should know about all of those things.
    ive been trying to get info on them but its really difficult, im not really an expert at programming since i just started this unit and i could really use ALOT of help on all of them.

sorry for this

ReputationRep:
    http://www.google.com

ReputationRep:
    yh i think i tried that :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooldude17)
    ive been trying to get info on them but its really difficult, im not really an expert at programming since i just started this unit and i could really use ALOT of help on all of them.

sorry for this
    Maybe you should ask your teacher/lecturer for help. Really this is a very open ended question because you're essentially asking us to explain the basics of programming to you. If this is for uni, you're paying for it so you might as well get your money's worth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Maybe you should ask your teacher/lecturer for help. Really this is a very open ended question because you're essentially asking us to explain the basics of programming to you. If this is for uni, you're paying for it so you might as well get your money's worth
    dude its gcse and my teacher gave us nothing but silly pointers, please i desperately need help wiht this

ReputationRep:
    dude its gcse and my teacher gave us nothing but silly pointers, please i desperately need help wiht this
    Wow, you learn this stuff at GCSE! Since when did they start doing that?

Have you actually done any programming before? Best way to understand it is to try it for yourself. Is this based on any particular language? Sounds like C would be the most appropriate for these basics, since it's a purely procedural language. Try searching google for "beginner C tutorials". I don't know of any good ones (it's been a long time since I started learning C), but maybe someone else could recommend a good tutorial?

edit - Depending on how far you get with C, you better get used to "silly pointers"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Wow, you learn this stuff at GCSE! Since when did they start doing that?

Have you actually done any programming before? Best way to understand it is to try it for yourself. Is this based on any particular language? Sounds like C would be the most appropriate for these basics, since it's a purely procedural language. Try searching google for "beginner C tutorials". I don't know of any good ones (it's been a long time since I started learning C), but maybe someone else could recommend a good tutorial?

edit - Depending on how far you get with C, you better get used to "silly pointers"
    were doing turbo pascal and I could really do wiht some help on my work, just give me some info on the variables or techniques please, anything!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    were doing turbo pascal and I could really do wiht some help on my work, just give me some info on the variables or techniques please, anything!!!!!!!
    Ok, well there must be some tutorials for Turbo Pascal somewhere. That will help you understand these concepts better than anyone here attempting to explain it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Ok, well there must be some tutorials for Turbo Pascal somewhere. That will help you understand these concepts better than anyone here attempting to explain it to you.

not to be rude but this isnt really helping, ive done all that stuff and thats why am asking for details on the key features so that I fully understand the basics.

all i want is info on these key features:confused:

ReputationRep:
    not to be rude but this isnt really helping, ive done all that stuff and thats why am asking for details on the key features so that I fully understand the basics.

Well to be honest, I don't think I can really help you in that case. The best way for me to explain all these features to you would be to write a tutorial. But it probably wouldn't be as good as other tutorials you can find around the net.

If there are specific things you don't understand I could probably help though. Like with variables, do you understand the difference between local, static and global? Do you know about the concept of scope?

ReputationRep:
    No one here is going to give you the answers and at the moment it sounds like you just want someone to do your work for you (this may not be true but it's how it comes across)

It might be worth you giving a quick description of what you think the different things are and we can tell you if you're on the right track, similarly if there is something specific you aren't sure then ask a specific question (and if you have some ideas about what might be right you can always include that)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

All the things you've listed can be found in either an online tutorial or a standard programming book. In fact you could even pick up a programming book for a completely different language and find the answers, but if you have to give code examples then you'd need to translate the book's code into Pascal syntax.

There's no way anyone can give you a simple answer to what you've asked without basically typing out sections from one of these tutorials or books - why are you so reluctant to do the legwork yourself?

ReputationRep:
    You can google any one of those items and get very concise definitions and explanations of what they are. You get nothing out of having other people do your homework for you.

ReputationRep:
    coursework
    Ah..

Really though, I typed 3 words into google. Got this:

http://nicomp.hubpages.com/hub/Scope...riables-in-Cpp

That's 1/4 of the work done, I'll let you figure out the other 9 words to search for...

ReputationRep:
    still not helping, im not trying to get someone to just give the answers. i want someone to give me an idea of what they are or why they are important, or maybe a useful link that can give me some info

ReputationRep:
    still not helping, im not trying to get someone to just give the answers. i want someone to give me an idea of what they are or why they are important, or maybe a useful link that can give me some info
    I did give you a link...!

Theres another:

http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g...arprogramm.htm

Thats variables and modularity covered...

ReputationRep:
    well guys, i failed since i wasnt able to find any info on the web and have to redo the assinment again :mad:

ReputationRep:
    well guys, i failed since i wasnt able to find any info on the web and have to redo the assinment again :mad:
    Wow. 2 weeks and you couldn't find a single person at your place of education that could possibly help you with this? You deserve extra work, chap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.