Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pregnant at University...? Watch

• View Poll Results: If you got pregnant at University, would you keep the baby?
    Yes
    36.11%
    No
    63.89%

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Did you get pregnant at University? Or know anybody that did?

I'm in my second year, and I'm due in February.
    I have to write a 500 word opinion piece on the subject, so if any pregnant student or former student is interested in answering a few quick questions on how they coped I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you should'nt worry that you are pregnant but how you come of it, the way forward. now you need to stay focus, eat good food to stay healthy and active. don't think of abortion. that is a big sin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elkino)
    you should'nt worry that you are pregnant but how you come of it, the way forward. now you need to stay focus, eat good food to stay healthy and active. don't think of abortion. that is a big sin
    Abortion isn't a sin, it's a woman's choice.

(Original post by iheartdjokovic)
    Abortion isn't a sin, it's a woman's choice.
    I 100% agree with you there.

I just wish more women would consider the child's father in their decision.

(Admittedly, some blokes wouldn't give a ****, but for those who do...)

ReputationRep:
    My friend was in her second year when she found out she was pregnant (she lives with her fiance, but I don't know whether it was planned or not), and interrupted her studies halfway through her third and final year to have the baby and essentially have 'maternity leave'. She's now just about to finish her last half year, after having a 6 month break, and had to write a 7000 word dissertation with a 5 month old baby to look after. It has been hard for her, but she has her fiance and parents to help her, and the uni spaced out her last few assignments so she wouldn't have a rush of work to finish. She still has to wait to graduate in October though, and will be the only one on her course to do so, which she's a bit upset about, but she's focusing on looking for jobs now, which is also proving difficult as not many local speech therapist jobs are available at the moment. But she's still happy that it all happened the way it did, as she has a gorgeous little boy!

I don't know anyone who has been through that and thankfully I've never experienced it myself, but I know if it did happen to me I'd have to abort. There's absolutely no way I'd be able to look after it, I certainly wouldn't burden my parents with it and considering the shambles that is the care system is this country I couldn't put it up for adoption either. I have no qualms about terminating the pregnancy as I know I'd make a terrible parent and giving birth to an unwanted child then to dump them into a care system where they may not ever get adopted is just cruel in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really say how I would feel if it happened. Logical brain says maybe, if it happened in 3rd year and I could finish before it was due.

• Yes...but I was living with my long term partner and in my 2nd year. I was 21. Finished 2nd year and took following year off as baby due October. Took year off with baby. Lucky as had family support and nursery returned and graduated with a 2.1 in history. Yes it is hard but the Uni were great and I just had to be organised. Now I have another little baby and my first is four and I want to return to Uni and train as a midwife. It's possible certainly but the fact I was not your typical student and established with a home and a partner who worked a good job full time with me part time might have helped. Inbox me if you like and congratulations x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
      There is a reason more and more women are marrying and having children later.

ReputationRep:
      It's hard to say. I would say 'no' right now, but if I was in a stable relationship with someone I was deeply in love with and thought I had a future with maybe I would feel differently.

ReputationRep:
      i haven't been pregnant at uni but i had a child before uni, and was planning to have a second during uni (hence taking part time study for the first two years) as my son is 4 in a few days and i hate the idea of siblings with massive age gaps (i would like my kids to be close, there's only a 7 year age gap between me and my brother and although i love him we are two completely different generations) where as my partner and his brother are only 1 year apart and are best friends, they like all the same things, have the same friends, where in the same class at school, they have the same hobbies basically they do most things together and id love my son to have that, but life doesn't ever work out the way i plan

i know my friend from college last year, her partner is doing a degree in photography and they have just welcomed there 3rd daughter so it can be done

2 of my best friends are due in February as well, good luck

ReputationRep:
      There's no 'yes' or 'no' in this - it'd be entirely down to the situation. If I had a reasonable amount of savings, private accommodation (not uni halls), my partner had a job and my course was actually going well then I would keep the baby. However, things often aren't so black and white. If it was from a ONS or something then I don't think I could - I've always vowed my kids would have two happy, and very much in love parents, something I didn't have but know I want myself.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by danny111)
      There is a reason more and more women are marrying and having children later.

Which is...?

ReputationRep:
      Congrats! Hope everything goes well

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by elkino)
      Even if you're religious it still wouldn't be a sin (i.e. if the mother's life is in danger) :yy:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Qwertyuioplkjhgfds)
      Which is...?
      They want a career, a life.

ReputationRep:
      A girl on my course fell pregnant just before the end of her first year. She took a year out had the baby and returned to university and thus ended up in my cohort in year two.

She successfully completed her studies in year two despite missing a good third of the year due to a serious illness and has returned to complete her third year.

I always try to help her as much as I can as she has considered quitting so many times due to the added pressure of bringing up a child and having to do most of the work she missed over the summer due to her illness. Her fiancé does help her out a lot too and her family so she has a good support network in place.

I do get the feeling though that she would be doing a lot better at university and be a totally different person if she hadn't of fell pregnant. I do respect her though for continuing her studies and wanting to complete her degree as she could of quite easily took the easy route after having the baby and not came back at all.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.