Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pregnant at University...? Watch

• View Poll Results: If you got pregnant at University, would you keep the baby?
    Yes
    46.15%
    No
    53.85%

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is currently pregnant and at university. It's a struggle but I don't see anything wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertyuioplkjhgfds)
    Hi,

Did you get pregnant at University? Or know anybody that did?

I'm in my second year, and I'm due in February.
    I have to write a 500 word opinion piece on the subject, so if any pregnant student or former student is interested in answering a few quick questions on how they coped I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks
    I'm in a relationship for almost 2 years now, and despite loving my boyfriend ridiculous amounts, and could imagine us both being parents when we are older, I don't think I could keep a child if I was pregnant at Uni. I'm in my first year of my degree at the moment, just turned 19, and I can barely look after myself let alone a child, which is why I have Implanon - the contraceptive implant to prevent any unwanted pregnancies. I know in myself that if I had a child right now, I wouldn't go back to uni, and I'd be stuck in a dead end job hating my life, or worse - pretending I do like it. It would be unfair on my boyfriend (he would stay with me, but he wouldn't be happy at this point in our lives with a child in the picture either) and we would be living on even less then we have now, which seems impossible. I don't think it would be fair to bring a child up in my current circumstances.

That said, there's a girl on my course (we're just over 3 months in now...) who I've been told is 10 weeks pregnant. Lecturer told us that as long as we complete our degree within 5 year of commencement (our degree is 3 years long) then it's fine. So, she could take a year out if she wanted to, or even 2 years, then rejoin with 2nd years when she's done. I take my hat off to people that make it work and make great parents but I know that I couldn't be one of them.

Oooh I also forgot to say, I also have a friend who goes to uni, but I assume it's long distance learning because she lives permanantly in Newcastle, but studies in Leeds, so I take it she goes there every month or so to seek guidance and support but she seems to managing. I find some of her status' amusing on Facebook: "Just finished my 1500 word assignment, and now I'm off out to brave the weather and buy some clothes for Gracie-Rose. Got my scan tomorrow morning then more uni work!" She seems busy all of the time, and although it sometimes seems difficult and exhausting, she seems to be doing a good job and managing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.