Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pregnant at University...? Watch

• View Poll Results: If you got pregnant at University, would you keep the baby?
    Yes
    31.11%
    No
    68.89%

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Did you get pregnant at University? Or know anybody that did?

I'm in my second year, and I'm due in February.
    I have to write a 500 word opinion piece on the subject, so if any pregnant student or former student is interested in answering a few quick questions on how they coped please get in touch!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How do you remember your username....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardchild)
    Lmao!

ReputationRep:
    I manage! Any thoughts on the topic, or....?

ReputationRep:
    if you follow the letters on the keyboard there is a certain pattern to it... :h:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't keep it most probably. It's hard enough to get by being a regular student, having to take care of a child at the same time... I just don't think I could provide for a baby if I am a full-time student unless I got financial help and someone I relied on could take care of the baby while I'm busy studying, etc. Even then, I wouldn't want someone else to raise my child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavelength19)
    if you follow the letters on the keyboard there is a certain pattern to it... :h:
    I hope her password isn't following a similar pattern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavinia94)
    I wouldn't keep it most probably. It's hard enough to get by being a regular student, having to take care of a child at the same time... I just don't think I could provide for a baby if I am a full-time student unless I got financial help and someone I relied on could take care of the baby while I'm busy studying, etc. Even then, I wouldn't want someone else to raise my child.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that would have taken some real hard effort, to have stayed pregnant whilst at uni for this long, and not gotten an abortion. Good on ya!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertyuioplkjhgfds)
    Hi,

Did you get pregnant at University? Or know anybody that did?

I'm in my second year, and I'm due in February.
    I have to write a 500 word opinion piece on the subject, so if any pregnant student or former student is interested in answering a few quick questions on how they coped please get in touch!

Thanks
    Just out of interest how old are you? and I guess I wouldn't keep it, especially if it was after a one-night stand :3

ReputationRep:
    I most certainly wouldn't keep it. Imagine revising for your exams with a screaming child in the background :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertyuioplkjhgfds)
    I manage! Any thoughts on the topic, or....?
    Sorry for running off-topic! If it were me, I probably wouldn't keep it. But there's a lot of factors to consider eg, your partner's condition and ability to support the child, family support, finances etc. It's not easy being pregnant what with all the morning sickness, nausea etc that requires a lot of attention and it can be very distracting for a student. You may not be able to attend classes and concentrate and revise to the fullest.

I'd say it's better to focus on securing a degree so that you'd be better able to provide for a child in the future. But if you have a supportive partner who is financially stable, that's a different story as you can now sacrifice your education because he can provide for you and the child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    Just out of interest how old are you? and I guess I wouldn't keep it, especially if it was after a one-night stand :3
    I'm 24 - my circumstances are a little different because I live with my boyfriend and not in student halls, and we've been together for 5 years! So it was an easy decision for me to make to keep my son

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for running off-topic! If it were me, I probably wouldn't keep it. But there's a lot of factors to consider eg, your partner's condition and ability to support the child, family support, finances etc. It's not easy being pregnant what with all the morning sickness, nausea etc that requires a lot of attention and it can be very distracting for a student. You may not be able to attend classes and concentrate and revise to the fullest.

I'd say it's better to focus on securing a degree so that you'd be better able to provide for a child in the future. But if you have a supportive partner who is financially stable, that's a different story as you can now sacrifice your education because he can provide for you and the child.

The morning sickness was definitely hard to deal with, but luckily it was right across the summer holidays (if you can call that lucky) so I didn't have to take time off uni! I definitely don't concentrate fully, because when the baby kicks he's all I can think about.

My boyfriend is in a great job and he provides everything the baby and I need now and will need in the future, so I can concentrate on my degree. I would never sacrifice my education! Personally I know I'd regret it later on...

ReputationRep:
    Even knowing how hard it was going to be, I would never get rid of my own baby. I feel like having a baby would in fact inspire me to finish my degree to get a decent job to set my child up for the best future I could give them. It would be difficult, no doubt about it, but so worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got pregnant in my first term of my first year, around mid October, with a boyfriend I'd only been together with for just under 2 months. I wanted to keep it, but there was no help the university could give me in the end other than putting me in "family accommodation", thus voiding my current uni room contract and losing me about £3000, and then having to switch to part time study in order to take care of it, and obviously having double the amount of student debt on my shoulders.

It was the wrong place and the wrong time, and would have ruined my future, so I had an abortion. I would do it again if it were in the same circumstances, but I'd love to have kids someday when I know I can financially and emotionally support them as they deserve

Miscarriage on the other hand is altogether harder at university, it's very difficult to get any support for it, and since I had no control over it (at least with the abortion, it was my choice to make) it was a lot harder to understand and come to terms with.

If you have any other questions just quote/pm me

ReputationRep:
    I didn't and don't know anyone that did but I'm only in first year. If I was to get pregnant though then I wouldn't keep it because it would completely interfere with my life. I wouldn't be able to stay in my uni city as I'd need family support, I wouldn't be able to remain studying full-time as I'd need to move and would have the baby to look after, I wouldn't be able to go out with my friends like I do now etc. Basically my entire life would change.

I may have children in the future but I'd want it to be when I'm ready so that I can keep going with the life I have then, in the house I'm in then, supporting it with the job I have then (or partner's job) etc. Obviously having children would still change my life but it wouldn't be in such a dramatic way and it wouldn't be taking away everything I enjoy now. The child would then be a welcome addition to my life rather than destroying it, which to be honest is how I'd feel if I were to have a child right now.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't keep it, but that is primarily because I'm not a particularly maternal person, I'm not entirely sure that I want kids at all, and I'm not at a stage in my life where I would be able to cope with a child anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If I had gotten pregnant whilst at uni and wanted to keep it then I probably would have dropped out. Because of that, I would have probably got an abortion (though as long as I found out quite early on in the pregnancy)

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that as a male I would not have any choice over the matter and that it's more difficult for me to emphasise in particular with the biological side of pregnancy, but if I was at uni and in a situation where I could either raise my child alone or see it aborted I would choose the former. Morally I'm pretty strongly against abortion, and I'm lucky enough to have family etc that could support me in looking after it. Still, I recognise that it is the choice of the female and I wouldn't pressure her if she did decide to (although I couldn't help being very upset personally).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.