The Student Room Group

Which of these are soft subjects for A Levels ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Honestly, do A-levels you think you will enjoy. While the whole 'soft' subjects thing is a concern for most people choosing their A-levels, you have to think about yourself and what you want not what a university wants. If you feel like you would enjoy all of these subjects then do them, enjoying them is the key to a high grade at A-level. It'd be much better to do two 'Soft' subjects and get AAB then to do three 'traditional' subjects and get CCD (not a risk if you really would enjoy all of these traditional subjects).

However, to answer your question Literature and History are seen as good A-levels by Oxbridge. If you truly want to add another top band A-level in, replace Psychology with R.S/Philosophy as they're both good essay subjects that show a range of skills or if you want something more business like/numerical perhaps Economics?
Reply 21
Original post by Luketreherne
I do Geography , Economics and Applied Business studies at AS Level what do you think of my Courses , are any of these subject's soft ?

Applied Business is. The other two are fine.
Why is Applied Business considered soft ?

Which subject's would you recommend instead ?
Original post by Onoderas
Honestly, do A-levels you think you will enjoy. While the whole 'soft' subjects thing is a concern for most people choosing their A-levels, you have to think about yourself and what you want not what a university wants. If you feel like you would enjoy all of these subjects then do them, enjoying them is the key to a high grade at A-level. It'd be much better to do two 'Soft' subjects and get AAB then to do three 'traditional' subjects and get CCD (not a risk if you really would enjoy all of these traditional subjects).

However, to answer your question Literature and History are seen as good A-levels by Oxbridge. If you truly want to add another top band A-level in, replace Psychology with R.S/Philosophy as they're both good essay subjects that show a range of skills or if you want something more business like/numerical perhaps Economics?

I do Geography , Economics and Applied Business studies at AS Level what do you think of my Courses , are any of these subject's soft ?
Original post by Lord Frieza
There are no 'soft subjects'

I find Physics A level a breeze, I find Psychology the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole entire life. Dropped AS Psychology a loooong time ago v.v

My sister is virtually the same as you, Psychology is actually quite a hard subject, but not a substantial enough one compared to the core subjects.
Reply 25
The University of Cambridge B list includes the following ‘soft’ subjects:

Accounting

Art and design

Business studies

Communication studies

Dance

Design and technology

Drama and theatre studies

Film studies

Health and social care

Home economics

Information and communication technology

Leisure studies

Media studies

Music technology

Performance studies

Performing arts

Photography

Physical education

Sports studies

Travel and tourism

(edited 10 years ago)
History & English lit are both regarded highly by the undergraduate Law prospects.

I have a friend who had 4 x As in AS in English lit, History, Law and - a subject that I cannot recall which was dropped by her by A2 - and carried on with those 3 at A2. She actually got straight into a Law firm where she gets a full undergraduate degree contract, learns the Lawyers job which she is able to fully perform after it and gets paid for it throughout all that time.
Reply 27
Original post by Luketreherne

Top universities don't like Applied Business Studies but they love Geography and Economics. Although if you were going into a business/economics type degree I don't see how Applied Business would hinder you at all, in fact in my opinion it would make you look stronger.
Top universities don't like Applied Business Studies but they love Geography and Economics. Although if you were going into a business/economics type degree I don't see how Applied Business would hinder you at all, in fact in my opinion it would make you look stronger.

What would you recommend for someone trying to peruse a degree in Geography/environmental science's for someone with rubbish grades.
Reply 29
Those subjects are fine for a drama school. You also have English and History which are two solid essay-based subjects suited for Law. Psychology isn't on any blacklist as far as I'm aware. Drama is considered soft but it doesn't matter as long as you have 2-3 'hard' subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest