Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can anyone seriously be against capital punishment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    I am a Thatcherite conservative, and yet i am staunchly opposed to the death penalty. The fact that Japan and some US states still use it is an embarrassment.

An 'aye for an aye' simply doesn't work. Two wrongs do not make a right. You cannot, I repeat, cannot, have a state that basis its morals on that of a murderer. Even if somebody has killed 100 people, they shouldn't be put to death.
    What makes you a conservative if all your social opinions are leftist though? Are you willing to at least sign the petition against gay marriage?

Yes we can have a state with the death penalty, two wrongs do make a right. In fact we do it at an international level ( a country invades another and kills people, then they get invaded and killed, worked perfectly in ww1 and ww2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    Because I expect my government to act like the best of society, not the worst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This.

Besides, just one mistake in sentencing someone to it and then it is completely morally wrong. An innocent person would die through no fault of their own. That is a tragedy and one that could be easily have been prevented.

ReputationRep:
    Because justice should not be about enacting vengence. Justice should be above the actions of criminals. Somebody commits murder. Society shouldn't just murder them back.

Plus. False convictions do happen. On a purely pragmatic level. It's wrong in that you could murder an innocent person.

ReputationRep:
    Who gains from capital punishment, and what do they gain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of this **** about how it's revenge and not justice. Most punishments doled out to criminals or people who went and committed a criminal act (criminals but I'm talking more isolated cases) are acts of revenge. You claimed benefits that weren't entitled to you, our revenge is a year in jail. You went out and punched somebody after getting a bit too drunk, our revenge is to put you in a jail cell for X amount of months. That's it, that's all it is. Justice IS revenge and there's no way that it can't be.

The woman in that Video with Ian Hislop made a good point actually and she wasn't an idiot at all. She was saying how to convict someone of murder, you should at the very least have complete proof that can't be disputed in any way. If you're going to sentence someone to life in prison, how can there be any doubt as to whether the person committed the murder or not? You either know that they definitely did or definitely didn't and then sentence them accordingly. What really needs to be examined are the specific cases where a miscarriage of justice has taken place and try to figure out what went wrong and why the conviction came about and learn from those mistakes. As to whether capital punishment is a deterrent I don't know, if someone's in the frame of mind to murder someone then they aren't exactly being rational anyway so it probably won't and doesn't deter murderers but in my opinion its not abhorrent to contemplate capital punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Islamic sharia in India will solve all the problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W-Three)
    Because there is no such thing as absolute evil. People don't choose who they are, so they deserve a chance to change.
    No they don't. If someone has a chance to change then they are capable of choosing who they are, if someone doesn't have a chance to change then it doesn't matter that they didn't choose to be a murdering scumbag because they will always be one and a threat to everyone around them.

Incidentally I am against capital punishment but mostly because the state is incompetent and will sometimes kill an innocent person if it's allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by combbrah)
    After reading cases like the Delhi rape incident. "The victim was found with only 5% of her intestines left inside of her. A doctor at the hospital later stated that the "rod was inserted into her and it was pulled out with so much force that the act brought out her intestines along. That is probably the only thing that explains such severe damage to her intestines."

Why are people who do things like this still considered human and treated as such. **** is wrong with the world
    Because they make the decision based upon rational laws and not the laws of the mob? If you kill all rapists, noone will be prosecuted. Yes some convicted are innocent but at least they are realeased and noT dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick100)
    No they don't. If someone has a chance to change then they are capable of choosing who they are, if someone doesn't have a chance to change then it doesn't matter that they didn't choose to be a murdering scumbag because they will always be one and a threat to everyone around them.

Incidentally I am against capital punishment but mostly because the state is incompetent and will sometimes kill an innocent person if it's allowed.
    Just to add, ANY state will be incompetent. You can count on it.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'll bite.

I'm against capital punishment for a multitude of reason, the biggest and most important one is that there are KNOWN cases where innocent people have had their lives taken due to fallible nature of the justice system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    I was busy, I did say.

I advocate torture for murders, terrorists and dictators mearly because it is not something that you can forgive someone for or something you can rehabilitate them for. They must be punished for the crimes they commit, I'm sorry but if you are willing to defend these sort of people then my debate with you stops there. I don't wish to debate with people who would defend such people those who gang raped and killed a woman on a bus, and people such as as Osama bin landen/ Stalin/ Hitler/ Adam Lanza.

The people I would employ would not be murders as the people they put to death would be proven beyond reasonable doubt to be guilty and the killing would be lawful. It's not really too hard to understand
    If you advocate the death penalty then you find it acceptable that innocent people will be put to death in order to get the guilty ones. The Khmer Rouge also took this approach.

I advocate the scraping of the death penalty for all in order than Timothy Evans may have lived on.

ReputationRep:

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by combbrah)
    Why are people who do things like this still considered human and treated as such.
    Because you know what, I like to think I'm ****ing better than them. I'm not some bloody scum that kills his daughter for honour, or attacks my neighbouring tribe with machetes for no bloody intelligible, I'm a remotely civilised human being. The people who did it are absolute scum, I agree, and they have no place in society, but I don't believe in lowering myself to their level, or having the courts and law that represents me lower themselves by appointing someone to kill them. They're not a direct threat that needs to be instantly removed, like a terrorist or warlord. Instead, I'd rather they rot in prison, locked up all day, with no prospect of freedom for the disgusting crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jones107)
    where did you read this? as i always thought a lifetime imprisonment wuld cost alot in food and sanitation, whereas a leathat injection would not cst nearly as much?
    its more the protracted legal proceedings, years on death row etc. etc. that costs the money, when someone is sentanced to death in the states that person can appeal at the states expense and they invariably do be it because they actually are innocent or if they just want to give one last middle finger.

ReputationRep:
    personally i have no particular issue with capital punishment but lets be honest a short drop is far to easy for some of these things, have the blighters hung drawn and quartered... nothing says dont commit crime like a head on a stake..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeddows)
    Because you know what, I like to think I'm ****ing better than them. I'm not some bloody scum that kills his daughter for honour, or attacks my neighbouring tribe with machetes for no bloody intelligible, I'm a remotely civilised human being. The people who did it are absolute scum, I agree, and they have no place in society, but I don't believe in lowering myself to their level, or having the courts and law that represents me lower themselves by appointing someone to kill them. They're not a direct threat that needs to be instantly removed, like a terrorist or warlord. Instead, I'd rather they rot in prison, locked up all day, with no prospect of freedom for the disgusting crime.
    It costs £37,500 to maintain a British prisoner, British prisons are overcrowded and our population is on the rise. there is going to be a larger percentage of the population in prison. The most dangerous criminals should be put to death. Remember British courts operate on the basis that people are convicted beyond reasonable doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    It costs £37,500 to maintain a British prisoner, British prisons are overcrowded and our population is on the rise. there is going to be a larger percentage of the population in prison. The most dangerous criminals should be put to death. Remember British courts operate on the basis that people are convicted beyond reasonable doubt.
    If the British court convicts people based evidence beyond reasonable doubt, can you please explain to me why the British court put an innocent man to death?

Further, you think the way to deal with crowded prisons is to introduce execution? How many people do you think would be executed a year to solve this problem of overcrowding?

ReputationRep:
    state sanctioned first degree premeditated murder of its citizens against their will?
    sounds like a good idea! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    If the British court convicts people based evidence beyond reasonable doubt, can you please explain to me why the British court put an innocent man to death?

Further, you think the way to deal with crowded prisons is to introduce execution? How many people do you think would be executed a year to solve this problem of overcrowding?
    Can you provide the case where a innocent person was put to death ? Repeat offenders of serious crimes should be put to death. It would reduce the amount of people in prisons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    So you have no problem that innocent people have been put to death through the death penalty? If you do, then how can you support this penalty?
    Innocent ?? Wtf are u talking abt ?!!? Are u crazy !? Those six men are not innocent !!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.