Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can anyone seriously be against capital punishment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    But you can't get 1000%... or even 100%.
    You can get 100% if it's caught on tape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noisy06)
    You can get 100% if it's caught on tape.
    The tape could be a forgery or it could just be somebody who looks similar.

ReputationRep:
    Would the person who neg repped me like to explain him/herself?

ReputationRep:
    The tape could be a forgery or it could just be somebody who looks similar.
    Eh no. A tape which is verified authentic and identifies the perpertrator makes a person 100% guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Eh no. A tape which is verified authentic and identifies the perpertrator makes a person 100% guilty.
    How do you verify it as authentic without any margin of error? and as I said, what if it were a look-a-like?

ReputationRep:
    At which point you're no longer relying on the tape's authenticity but on the person or system verifying it, and thus you immediately introduce the possibility of an error being made.

ReputationRep:
    How do you verify it as authentic without any margin of error? and as I said, what if it were a look-a-like?
    There is a reason why perpertators caught on tape and told so plead guilty almost all the time, and that's because tapes can prove 100% guilt. Notice the word 'can'. It may not because it may be dark, or the image could be blurry etc. However, a tape can certainly provide a guilty verdict with 100% certainty.

ReputationRep:
    There is a reason why perpertators caught on tape and told so plead guilty almost all the time, and that's because tapes can prove 100% guilt. Notice the word 'can'. It may not because it may be dark, or the image could be blurry etc. However, a tape can certainly provide a guilty verdict with 100% certainty.
    You didn't answer my questions and I thought I'd underline a very important word from your post.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't answer my questions and I thought I'd underline a very important word from your post.
    My initial post clearly stated that they can be 100%, saying that it could be a look a like doesn't in any way or form undermine my statement. It's astounding how you fail to understand that.

ReputationRep:
    OP, what if you were framed for a crime, such as terrorism, and all the evidence appears to point to you. You're found guilty, and judge sentences you to death. All the appeals exhaust themselves; the Court of Appeals, Supreme Court, European Court of Human Rights, etc. find no evidence that you are not guilty, and do not exonerate you. You have two options - do a Prison Break-esque escape or be put to death, with everyone thinking of you as a monster.

Capital punishment is too easy to be manipulated and is way too dangerous. You can't control someone's fate like that. Judges in any country should not be given the power to legally kill someone.

ReputationRep:
    My initial post clearly stated that they can be 100%, saying that it could be a look a like doesn't in any way or form undermine my statement. It's astounding how you fail to understand that.
    Yes it does. Because there is always the possibility that it is a doppleganger who committed the crime and was caught on tape. At best you've got 99.9%. Unless you track down anyone who looks like the perp and also have them on camera elsewhere during the time of the crime and have a way to definitely tell them apart (they're almost identical except that one of them has a visible tattoo for example) then there is no 100%.

ReputationRep:
    A mark of a civlised society is being able to deal with the most damaged in a way that isn't just the "easy" way out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm against it.

Who the ****ing hell are you to say I cannot be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by combbrah)
    After reading cases like the Delhi rape incident. "The victim was found with only 5% of her intestines left inside of her. A doctor at the hospital later stated that the "rod was inserted into her and it was pulled out with so much force that the act brought out her intestines along. That is probably the only thing that explains such severe damage to her intestines."

Why are people who do things like this still considered human and treated as such. **** is wrong with the world
    Because fundamentally I find killing someone as punishment for killing damages the humanity of those of us humans who embrace empathy.

I can understand the drive behind capital punishment but killing someone, even a bad person generally just detracts from your humanity more than it effectively hurts the criminal. The criminal is dead. He cannot feel pain, he cannot dwell on his actions, and suffer.

The friends and family of victims though, they survive, they suffer. The family of the criminal after his execution needlessly suffer.

It's hard to explain but basically supporting capital punishment feels like having blood on my hands. I'm not a killer, I don't want that.

Not so much I care for the criminals life, but that I don't want to besmirch my own.

Life imprisonment is still removing the criminal from society and he is alive to suffer his punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's immoral, barbaric and ultimately let's the perpetrator off the hook. If someone said death or twenty+ years in prison i'd choose death but that's besides the point. Civilized society's shouldn't condone 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth' types of punishments we should have got passed that stage. Not condoning capital punishment is what separates us from them as far as i'm concerned if you are for it then you're just as bad as the people you want to punish.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I find it inconceivable how anyone can agree with capital punishment.

ReputationRep:
    I find it appalling that you lot would imprison the rapists and then release them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EwanHarvey)
    Clearly you're quite upset by this situation, but Indias social and justice problems don't, in my opinion, justify executing people. Simple as that.
    Then try raping a girl and put an iron rod between her guts. Then we'll see how justifitying the " attacker" is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.