Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can anyone seriously be against capital punishment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    Not if you reform the system, as I said.
    How do you make a system that is cheaper AND lowers/removes the risk of killing innocents?(Because removing appeals only does one of those things.)

(Original post by kombu)
    but why is it about revenge? i have never seen it as revenge. maybe it is for the family involved, but who are you to say that is wrong for them?

as for socity. it is just about making sure the person can never reoffend and sending out messages that these behaviours are simply not tolerated -- at the moment, the average murderer spends just 15 years in jail. thats hardly a deterrent message for such a serious crime.
    Why not just change the sentences then, rather than resort to murder?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unfortunate that prison is so expensive. It would save loads of tax payer's money, which could be put to better use, if we brought back the death penalty. Probably save lives as well.

However the negatives are that you can never really know if someone is guilty, and if they are guilty- is it because they are 'evil' or because of mental health problems that should have been diagnosed and treated. In which case, has society failed these individuals? Also, where do you draw the line at what crime is punishable by death? So rape and murder would carry the death sentence, and probably rape in an alley by a stranger... but what about statutory rape with a 'willing' underage participant? And how easy is it for a girl to say a guy raped her after she regrets sleeping with him??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)

Why not just change the sentences then, rather than resort to murder?
    well, that would be a start. although, executing convicted criminals is not murder.

if capital punishment was ever to be brought back it must be in the name of the people, not the state. the people - the community - are the ones who suffer criminals. not the state -- capital punishment is rational self defence mechanism for a community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by combbrah)
    There is absolutely zero justification for murdering an innocent person0.
    Innocence is subjective. Not everyone that get's murdered is innocent, and not everyone that murders is guilty. To someone with a different view of the world, the murder may be innocent, or you may be guilty for supporting someones death.

The fact that you are trying to defend these scum is rather worrying. Stealing food to feed your starving family? Although a crime, it can be understood somewhat. Raping and murdering can never be justified, and being brought up in a "rough" environment does nothing to help the case. Plenty of people brought up in the most hellish conditions we could think of have not resorted to random murder. Your argument is a joke, liberals gonna liberal
    It's nothing so simple as 'rough environments'. The human mind isn't shaped by simplistic generalizations, people born in nice environments don't turn out nice and people in harsh environments dont turn out harsh. There are so many factors involved. It's the conditions people are born into, to give an example, someone born into a loving wealthy family may give that persona n inflated sense of self. This, when combined with other factors may drive someone to murder. Likewise, religious indoctrination, cult brainwashing or even a lack of boundaries as a child may help create the right conditions for someone to murder.

You just have to look at the Stanford prison experiment to see what extremes seemingly normal people can succumb to given the right conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    I would, and no and torture if it were down to me.
    Its unfortunate you cannot and are not able to put forward a decent coherent argument, although hardly surprising given what you advocate.

I asked you what would happen to the people you employ to murder and torture people, and youve replied by telling me you would be the one to do it, but also those people employed to murder and torture would be murdered and tortured.

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely zero justification for murdering an innocent person. The fact that you are trying to defend these scum is rather worrying. Stealing food to feed your starving family? Although a crime, it can be understood somewhat. Raping and murdering can never be justified, and being brought up in a "rough" environment does nothing to help the case. Plenty of people brought up in the most hellish conditions we could think of have not resorted to random murder. Your argument is a joke

problem is, liberal scum think that rapists and murderers are the true victims and that the actual victims are simply an unfortunate side effect of society's original crime against the perpetrators

what they aren't grasping is that these criminals have forfeited their rights as laid out by the social contract the second that they violated the rights of another person. as such, they no longer exist as people and are thus reclassified as dangerous animals that need to be put down for the good of everyone else. the aforementioned scum are too queasy about that though and would prefer that the rapist rapes their daughter in the future vs. being rightfully removed permanently from law-abiding citizens.
    You're talking about punishment after the crime has been committed. 'Liberal scums' as you call them are more interested in understanding the reasons why certain people commit crime so they can be prevented in the first place.

You won't stop crime by killing people, but you can stop crime by tackling the causes of it.

I won't even mention the hundreds of people who have been convicted of murder, sentenced to death only for years later to have been cleared.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm against it because punishment helps nothing and no one - all it does is satisfy our lust for vengeance. It's flatly hypocritical to use murder as the punishment for murder anyway.

ReputationRep:
    A wrong and wrong doesn't make a right, man.

ReputationRep:
    'An eye for an eye will leave everyone blind.'

ReputationRep:
    After reading cases like the Delhi rape incident. "The victim was found with only 5% of her intestines left inside of her. A doctor at the hospital later stated that the "rod was inserted into her and it was pulled out with so much force that the act brought out her intestines along. That is probably the only thing that explains such severe damage to her intestines."

Why are people who do things like this still considered human and treated as such. **** is wrong with the world
    As it's no doubt already been explained, with Capital punishment comes the risk of putting one or more innocent people to death. It's a major flaw and it alone is a valid reason why it should not be introduced. Little else needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    The argument of killing innocent people is a straw-man argument against implementing the death penalty. It's simply an argument death penalty should be implemented with stringent conditions. Let's drop the lies. Most posts, here, are only against the death penalty based on their high-heel moral grounds.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, because every murderer always serves in a supermax prison wearing a straightjacket many hours a day hannibal lecter style
    So you admit that you were making up the stuff about murderers getting Sky tv or whatever? Hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbi!)
    I think it's unfortunate that prison is so expensive. It would save loads of tax payer's money, which could be put to better use, if we brought back the death penalty. Probably save lives as well.
    Hundreds of people have been found innocent after they've been executed. The amount of money lost through lawsuits would run into hundreds of millions and possibly into the billions.

And as the Americans like to prove to us, Capital Punishment is NOT A DETERRENT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    As it's no doubt already been explained, with Capital punishment comes the risk of putting one or more innocent people to death. It's a major flaw and it alone is a valid reason why it should not be introduced. Little else needs to be said.
    By your reasoning, a country should never have the right to declare war, in self-defence, against another country based on incident. You always have probability that there is misinterpretation of the incident.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think these monsters aren't deserving of death. Death is final, their humiliation ends there. They won't have to live with their actions and live life knowing that their crimes have been broadcast to the whole world.
    Why not make an example of them? Imprison them for life (and when I say life, I don't mean 5 years and a slap on the wrist) and send them off to break rocks and build railway lines in the midday sun. Ensure that they know they will *never* again be allowed back into the public.
    Also - do we really want to stoop to their level? I understand the pros of capital punishment - the threat is dealt with, you don't have to spend money keeping them imprisoned and the 'eye for an eye' argument - but shouldn't a government and its citizens rise above that, in a way?
    Not to mention the risks of mistakenly killing innocent people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Agreed, what they did was wrong.

But people do wrong things all the time, I have no doubt you in your life time have done many wrong things on various scales.

However, you cannot just Blanket all murders and all taking of life under one absolute statement, reality is not as black and white as your warped sense of morality.

I have killed people, in self-defense, should I be given the death-penalty?
    No, that is justified as i presume you a sodier, you kill people who give their concent by picking up a weapon, at the same time you realise the consequence that you too mighy die. killing innocent people however is not justified and never should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbi!)
    It would save loads of tax payer's money,
    Actually, no it wouldn't.

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    And as the Americans like to prove to us, Capital Punishment is NOT A DETERRENT!!
    Explain please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W-Three)
    Because there is no such thing as absolute evil. People don't choose who they are, so they deserve a chance to change.
    I think what we call 'evil' is more of a psychological disorder, hence the reason why so many people who commit crimes like assault, rape and sexual abuse were abused themselves. Thus killing the people who commit these crimes won't be a deterrent to would-be offenders, we need to treat these people as best we can to ensure they understand that what they have done is abominable. And if they really are beyond help, or have psychopathic tendencies that cannot be changed, then perhaps they need incarcerating to protect society.

I agree with you in the sense that there is no such thing as 'absolute evil'; it is not human nature to have the urge to inflict unnecessary pain upon others otherwise most people would. I believe this to be the case even if there were no laws preventing us from doing this anyway. Therefore sadism is more of a mental defect, we are not supposed to enjoy hurting people.

Sorry for the rant haha I just think we need to remember that criminals are humans too, and where do you draw the line when it comes to the death penalty? What makes a crime worthy of it? People have such an emotive response to crimes such as paedophilia, but I think personally there are much better methods of crime deterrence and prevention than just killing people that molest children.

The Death Penalty is not a mode of justice, its a way of exacting revenge.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC or Daily Fail didn't mention that she died in such horrific way?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.