Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Originally Posted by anonymouse01)
    Most unis don't really care about the extra A* or the extra A. Somebody who got B's and A's is no different from somebody who got straight A* in terms of intelligence.

I think you're misunderstood here! Having just applied to university for September i've visited lots of unis, whilst there are many that don't put great emphasis on your gcse results to an extent (theyre still very important) the most competitive courses, eg medicine and the most sought after unis eg oxbridge will of course differentiate students by their gcse's. Someone with more A* is clearly more academic then the student with less. It's not always a question of intelligence but suitability to the formal written academic exam papers. Universities do look at your gcse grades and if you and another candidate have exactly the same predictions for A Levels, both with strong personal statements and aptitude tests but candidate A has 6A* and you have 3A* then person A will get a place. Getting in is a competition and you need to show that you're the best person. Someone with an A is clearly better at the subject than someone with a C because they got more right in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    ad science and core science at B -_- self taught myself half the time, and gave up half the time. teacher? dont even ask

ReputationRep:
    History. My teacher told me my coursework was a high grade so I didn't bother improving it but it turned out to be two grades below the grade he said it was -.-

ReputationRep:
    C's in Maths and French. My grades really do reflect how much (or, in this case, how little) I enjoyed my subjects. As it happens, my interest in languages has grown a lot since my school days.

ReputationRep:
    Music

ReputationRep:
    D in PE overall.

To be fair, I deserved it for climbing trees instead of doing rounders, and for my friend knocking me out with a badminton racket when she went in for a smash. I wasn't exactly going to get an A* in the health and safety components of the course, was I?

ReputationRep:
    C in add maths, haunts me to this day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    I got B's in Spanish and P.E... and a boy who had never done any exercise in his life got an A* in it... :sigh:
    My Bs were in French and PE... DAMN YOU MADAME G! She said my coursework was two grades better than it was

Yeah, taking PE was a mistake!

ReputationRep:
    C in statistics. Looking back, it was so easy as well. But the lessons were after school so I skipped most of them and I put next to no effort in on my coursework!

And I scraped a pass in ICT. Just couldn't bothered with it. It was so incredibly boring having to print screen and explain how you copy and move a folder 0.o

ReputationRep:
    E in Arabic .. And just laughed when I saw it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends full GCSEs would be a B in German. But I also did a short course in PE and got a D- A* in the exam but an E in coursework/ practical :,) my coursework was pretty brilliant I think in the end I wrote about two lines then drew a couple of unrelated pictures- was gonna go back and do it properly at some point (wanted to do it on computer) but totally forgot so had that given in.

ReputationRep:
    Doing my GCSEs this year, but I did German last year. I'm currently doing worst in ICT...Achieving A/B. Really boring course...

ReputationRep:
    English and Latin... Only chose Latin for the Rome trip

ReputationRep:
    French sigh...

ReputationRep:
    Art, hahah, I got a D, the rest were A's with a couple of A*/B's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra's Box)
    My Bs were in French and PE... DAMN YOU MADAME G! She said my coursework was two grades better than it was

Yeah, taking PE was a mistake!
    Everyone HAD to do P.E at my school!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    Everyone HAD to do P.E at my school!!
    Same apart from I was so bad at it I got pulled out of it before the exam etc so it didn't look bad against my other subjects. It was only a short course anyways and it was actually a lot of fun as I was with friends in my class go we're equally as bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got a U in my Additional Biology, but resat and managed a C.
    Think I'll be failing French though.

ReputationRep:
    I got a D I'm physics but I didn't really care coz in the exam I opened the paper, read through it, did all the easy questions and then went to sleep. Actually a good score considering. It's cool though coz it was triple science and I'd already got two A's in my additional science and two A's in biology and chemistry.. So I didn't care

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    C in design and technology... Didn't finish the paper in time... :O

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.