The Student Room Group

GCSE you did worst in

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
D in Physics :colondollar:
Reply 201
C in Chemistry; my greatest shame. Doesn't help that the course I'm applying for tends to require at least a B.
Reply 202
D in my Dance Theory paper.... Got an A* overall all though thanks to the practical!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
IT.. I got a D:frown: and i was really looking forward to the results
+ i got a C in History, i was aiming for an A :frown: (SO gutted)
Physisc!! i got a u... did not expect that at all. i normally don't do that bad (i said normally -____- :frown: )
Reply 205
Music - I got a D and realised my teacher hadn't sent my coursework off so I got a U in that part of it that dragged my grade down :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheLightBulb
You try telling that to Oxbridge and similar unis? We even got told on an open day not to bother if we didn't have 5A*s minimum (from a Comprehensive School)... literally "it's a waste of an option if you didn't get those grades at GCSE"...

My brother had 2A* 5A's 4B's at GCSE and he got an offer from Oxford to study Law.
Photography. Mostly because I missed a LOT of school and photography is mostly practical, so it's more important to be in school. But also because the teacher is a total b**** who is constantly picking on me and my friend, never bothers to help me and doesn't accept IT problems as an excuse even though the laptops we have are about 10 years old and take 20 minutes to start up. And because they take so long to start up, they are left on around the clock, which makes them so hot that you can't leave them on your lap for more than 30 seconds and makes them run so slow that they freeze up if you try to load anything too complex, like, say, A PICTURE! WHICH IS WHAT WE'RE F*****G WORKING WITH IN THE FIRST F*****G PLACE SO I CAN'T GET ANY F*****G WORK DONE!
OH AND EVERYONE ELSE HAS 500 MB OF STORAGE SPACE BUT FOR SOME F*****G REASON I ONLY HAVE 150 MB SO I CAN'T EVEN STORE THE F*****G WORK I MANAGE TO GET DONE, ANYWAY!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 208
Heh, a D in Geography because i hated it and decided i wasn't going to bother with it. My older know it all brother made me choose it for GCSE. I did the easy stuff in the paper then had a well deserved nap the rest of the writing time. Sat in a seat where the rays of the sun warmed my back too :biggrin:. Had a idiotic teacher too. Idiotic but passionate about geography.
Original post by AkhiMohamed
My brother had 2A* 5A's 4B's at GCSE and he got an offer from Oxford to study Law.

Well he is a very lucky person and must be one of the exceptional cases... as that is definitely not the norm...
You try telling that to Oxbridge and similar unis? We even got told on an open day not to bother if we didn't have 5A*s minimum (from a Comprehensive School)... literally "it's a waste of an option if you didn't get those grades at GCSE"...

Bullplop. 6A*s is the average for a Cambridge offer holder, I believe, with "average" implying that plenty get lower.

If you nail your A-Levels and are excellent a aptitude tests/subject interviews, your GCSE performance fades in terms of its importance to Oxbridge (Cambridge in particular, as they see your AS UMS scores).

Edit: To stay on-topic, my worst was English Lit. Dat B.
Reply 211
Religious studies I got a C :P

Just as the exam finished I saw that the question was 'write about religious beliefs blahblahblah from any religion but NOT Christianity'
Guess who accidentally wrote about Christianity..
Reply 212
I Just scraped a D in French and i was supposedly predicted an A*
Well he is a very lucky person and must be one of the exceptional cases... as that is definitely not the norm...

I dont think they care very much about GCSEs, it might help distinguish between two similar candidates, but other than that it doesnt really matter.

Its your subjects and predicted grades (based on AS), as well as the interview and entrance exam that gets you in.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500
Geography- Unit 1 Physical geography ... got a low C when predicted an A and got an A in MOCKs :eek:
Triple science...i got 3 C's (although i was quite happy that i actually passed as i was expecting 3 E's!!!)
Original post by GAB
I dont think they care very much about GCSEs, it might help distinguish between two similar candidates, but other than that it doesnt really matter.

Its your subjects and predicted grades (based on AS), as well as the interview and entrance exam that gets you in.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

AS and A2 predictions are more important but GCSEs still play a vital role. It's always better to have good GCSEs than bad ones and makes the whole process easier. It also helps you get into things like summer camps, access events etc. before uni.
Music. got a B. Annoyign beause I was taking it out fo school and the people who did it in school were getting E/F. My teacher decided to bump their grades up to a C and AQA proceeded to movve everybodies grade down 2 grades. :no:
Reply 218
When I received a C in economics for my exams. It was bound to happen, economics was my weakest subject. :/ Also getting a C in English Literature, when I was a mark away from a B... I should've gotten that remark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wrexhamfc
Bullplop. 6A*s is the average for a Cambridge offer holder, I believe, with "average" implying that plenty get lower.

If you nail your A-Levels and are excellent a aptitude tests/subject interviews, your GCSE performance fades in terms of its importance to Oxbridge (Cambridge in particular, as they see your AS UMS scores).

Edit: To stay on-topic, my worst was English Lit. Dat B.

... and Churchill College, Cambridge has issued statistics for 9A* average? Also studying statistics, averages can be skewed by anomalies meaning that a few lower GCSE scores which some of the more luckier applicants had does not meant that lots and lots got less than 6A*s. I'm sure there's a wide range of grades that people get to get in, but generally speaking it's best to get the best GCSEs you can, especially as A levels are much harder. As we both are not currently at Cambridge, we both do not know what they are looking for. It would be great if we did. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest