Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrexhamfc)
    Bullplop. 6A*s is the average for a Cambridge offer holder, I believe, with "average" implying that plenty get lower.

If you nail your A-Levels and are excellent a aptitude tests/subject interviews, your GCSE performance fades in terms of its importance to Oxbridge (Cambridge in particular, as they see your AS UMS scores).

Edit: To stay on-topic, my worst was English Lit. Dat B.
    ... and Churchill College, Cambridge has issued statistics for 9A* average? Also studying statistics, averages can be skewed by anomalies meaning that a few lower GCSE scores which some of the more luckier applicants had does not meant that lots and lots got less than 6A*s. I'm sure there's a wide range of grades that people get to get in, but generally speaking it's best to get the best GCSEs you can, especially as A levels are much harder. As we both are not currently at Cambridge, we both do not know what they are looking for. It would be great if we did.

ReputationRep:
    Core science, got a D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLightBulb)
    ... and Churchill College, Cambridge has issued statistics for 9A* average? Also studying statistics, averages can be skewed by anomalies meaning that a few lower GCSE scores which some of the more luckier applicants had does not meant that lots and lots got less than 6A*s. I'm sure there's a wide range of grades that people get to get in, but generally speaking it's best to get the best GCSEs you can, especially as A levels are much harder. As we both are not currently at Cambridge, we both do not know what they are looking for. It would be great if we did.
    Yeah, anomalous GCSE performances can skew application statistics, but it works both ways. Plenty of applicants come from the top private schools where everybody gets >12A*s. I don't think a few applicants with extenuating circumstances at GCSE can skew admissions statistics when we're talking about well over 10,000 applicants a year and about 3,500 offer holders. But obviously, yes, the higher grades, the better chance of getting in.

Anyway, this is getting a bit tangential to the topic at hand so I shall bid you good day

ReputationRep:
    ICT, I got an E lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `Jts)
    ICT I got an E lol.
    Jevans or Slocombe?

ReputationRep:
    Got a D in both RS and HE.

HE was my teacher's fault as much as mine. Lost coursework and stuff although managed to get a D by acing the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Got a B in my final graphics exam, which brought my grade down to an A. I know an A is a great grade, but it was really frustrating because of all the time I'd dedicated to it; it annoyed me that I got an A* in RE without going to any lessons, but only an A in graphics after spending countless nights at school until 6 to finish my coursework.

ReputationRep:
    General studies: D
    Then again only general studies.

My biggest regret in life is not trying at GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Jevans or Slocombe?
    Evans :/

ReputationRep:
    B in History & ICT short course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proud nd luvin it)
    I got B's in Spanish and P.E... and a boy who had never done any exercise in his life got an A* in it... :sigh:
    same here i got a B in french and PE and the girls in my class who were out of breath and dying manged to get A's and A*'s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by `Jts)
    Evans :/
    There is a new one now..

ReputationRep:
    Music, I got a B. That was simply because my teacher left and then I had a new one every few weeks so never really learnt anything until the last few months when I got an amazing teacher. I was only 2 marks away from an A though and a B is still a great achievement anyway.

ReputationRep:
    French-D

ReputationRep:
    Human Health and Physiology- C. It turned out my teachers were teaching us the wrong stuff for it. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    C in English Language, lol, my only C. Got A* in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology though, and an A in History, Product Design and IT.

:s

ReputationRep:
    A in english literature :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English Literature, 1 mark off an a*

Negged because I revised as hard as I could and did very well because of it?

ReputationRep:
    Maths... I got an E but I was and am good with numbers. I just could not be bothered to revise for it :hat:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going back about 5 years now but my worst GCSE's were D's, French and History. We were all made to do French, and I have no idea, looking back, why I chose History. I still went on to do it at A level too! :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.