The Student Room Group

Worried about my student life

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Persipan
OP, I know you keep saying you don't want to see 'a psychiatrist' but I do think it might be worth popping along to talk to your GP, or else seeing whether your uni has a counselling or wellbeing service you can see. If it reassures you at all, I think it's very unlikely that the first response of either of those would be to pack you off to see a psychiatrist, but you said that what you want to do is 'rewire these thoughts' and they might be able to help you do exactly that, maybe through accessing something like CBT - which is very much about learning to recognise when your thought patterns aren't helping you, and then changing them. Or, your GP might feel that some medication would help you to get things back on track. What you're describing doesn't sound like much fun at all, and I do think it's worth at least exploring what help is available to you.

Thank you. I have booked an appointment with counselling and will be meeting up with them soon. I feel terrible at times, and these worries make it hard for me to revise and remember revised stuffs.
I don't know whether I should speak my heart out and tell them everything. I feel insecure telling another person all my inner thoughts and worries :s Dunno how to approach them and how to explain that to them in a sense that they don't think I am mad.
Reply 21
Original post by Bobkirat
If you believe in God, you must believe that everything that happens only happens by his command and nothing can happen outside of his command. Right? Or not? You must believe that we are here on earth for a reason and that reason is for following God's command right?
If God is the creator, protector and destroyer then it is he you shall fear and nothing else.
Daily regime:
Look back and thank God.
Look forward and trust God.
Look around and believe in God.
Look within yourself and find God.
All your worries are vanished when you meditate upon the name of The Lord. When you follow thy Lords wishes and when you please thy Lord. Only he can eradicate your worries and only he can create them. This is the power and beauty of God. Realise him and live in peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. I see you are a very firm believer in God :smile:
I definitely will turn towards God for help while making the effort on my side to fight this problem. I just hope this stops affecting me.
Reply 22
Original post by Tabzqt
OP, don't listen to her terrible advice. You don't need an imaginary deity to find your confidence. Please consider real options such as counselling etc, before turning to myth.

Thanks for joining in. Actually yes, I have considered counselling and have booked an appointment already, but I do respect her advice, she's written to help me, just like you have.
Reply 23
Original post by Tabzqt
OP, don't listen to her terrible advice. You don't need an imaginary deity to find your confidence. Please consider real options such as counselling etc, before turning to myth.

I dont worship deties or w/e. This person believes in God so I am trying to help him out in the natural way. Your opinion is just your opinion as is mine.
Reply 24
Original post by Bobkirat
I dont worship deties or w/e. This person believes in God so I am trying to help him out in the natural way. Your opinion is just your opinion as is mine.

Hate to break the equilibrium, but although two opinions are yes, two opinions, one opinion will tend to carry more weight than another.
Reply 25
Original post by S.R
Trust me they don't care about you one little bit. If they see you then yeah they might be nasty but otherwise they aren't aware of your existence. The only people that sit around constantly thinking about someone else and hating them are the ones with no life i.e me lol. Once you have a buzzing life you just forget about people who you deemed to be losers.

I've been re-reading the comments and would like to ask for your advice about how to deal with nasty comments (esp when you are in this paranoid situation - afraid of any harm that might befall you later on should your reply be misunderstood or taken badly). Like there's this guy who was somewhat rude to me (not that obvious rude that might've triggered an argument between us) in front of other people and I just remained silent. His tone was quite high at some point with me on another topic and he seemed to smirk when I asked him an innocent question of how his holidays have been afterward. Think he was jealous for some reason previously during the day. I felt my confidence and self-esteem lowered signigicantly that I couldn't do anything at that time. I didn't know how to react, and I am worried that on future events where we meet up in a group of friends and he's there, I am going to face this type of behaviour and will feel kind of humiliated :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by manty
Hate to break the equilibrium, but although two opinions are yes, two opinions, one opinion will tend to carry more weight than another.

And that is also your opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could be stress induced paranoia. If it is, you would probably benefit from talking to a professional.
Reply 28
Original post by niceidea
I've been re-reading the comments and would like to ask for your advice about how to deal with nasty comments (esp when you are in this paranoid situation - afraid of any harm that might befall you later on should your reply be misunderstood or taken badly). Like there's this guy who was somewhat rude to me (not that obvious rude that might've triggered an argument between us) in front of other people and I just remained silent. His tone was quite high at some point with me on another topic and he seemed to smirk when I asked him an innocent question of how his holidays have been afterward. Think he was jealous for some reason previously during the day. I felt my confidence and self-esteem lowered signigicantly that I couldn't do anything at that time. I didn't know how to react, and I am worried that on future events where we meet up in a group of friends and he's there, I am going to face this type of behaviour and will feel kind of humiliated :s-smilie:

Maybe he's just like that? i.e a douchebag? And the thing about douchebags is that they think they are better than you, and anyone who thinks that they are better than you isn't going to go out of their way to bring you down. Only people who feel inferior actually do that. As I said if people are horrible to you 9 times out of ten they just think you're a loser and don't pay you any real attention.
Reply 29
Original post by S.R
Maybe he's just like that? i.e a douchebag? And the thing about douchebags is that they think they are better than you, and anyone who thinks that they are better than you isn't going to go out of their way to bring you down. Only people who feel inferior actually do that. As I said if people are horrible to you 9 times out of ten they just think you're a loser and don't pay you any real attention.

I used to do that to people, It normally happens when socially, someone either believes they are or are valued higher, I wouldn't worry. In life those who are nasty to you, turn the other hand, people who are nice, always extend your hand to them
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by manty
I used to do that to people, It normally happens when socially, someone either believes they are or are valued higher, I wouldn't worry. In life those who are nasty to you, turn the other hand, people who are nice, always extend your hand to them

I do believe sometimes I deserve this. Like, sometimes we all blabber about someone else with a friend and it could also be that these talks reach the ears of that person we've talked about. So I overthink, thinking they might not be liking me and they've heard I had said this and that (when actually the talk most of the times about them originated from the friend and I just added to what they said, although nothing too bad, just some random criticism, like he acts arrogant etc)

I cant trust those friends now, seeing they are good friends with the same people they've criticised, and I wonder if sometimes they do that and go on and talk **** about what I said back to that other person. That's another reason why am quite paranoid as well and dont trust many now.
Reply 31
Original post by niceidea
I do believe sometimes I deserve this. Like, sometimes we all blabber about someone else with a friend and it could also be that these talks reach the ears of that person we've talked about. So I overthink, thinking they might not be liking me and they've heard I had said this and that (when actually the talk most of the times about them originated from the friend and I just added to what they said, although nothing too bad, just some random criticism, like he acts arrogant etc)

I cant trust those friends now, seeing they are good friends with the same people they've criticised, and I wonder if sometimes they do that and go on and talk **** about what I said back to that other person. That's another reason why am quite paranoid as well and dont trust many now.

I think what you need to understand are three factors:

a) don't talk about another in a negative way, unless you explicitly trust the person or the general consensus about this person is negative.

b)Some people including myself are good at bearing a grudge, which when coupled with not knowing the involved well enough, leads to a long-standing dislike.

c)Sometimes no matter what, some people will dislike you.
Reply 32
Original post by S.R

Sorry, I've come back to this page again and now noticed your message. Think I might have missed it last time :s-smilie: How would you deal with the ones who think they are actually inferior or think you are arrogant and try to bring you down, whether they are at the same uni as you or other unis but who know you? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending