Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it me or have River Island's clothes gotten chavvier lately? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to River Island to buy something a bit different but now it's same old same old. Too much peplum!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. They're really overdoing the peplum trend in there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~HeartShapedBox)
    Have you ever been to The Galleries, a small shopping centre in Bristol before? It has about 3 or 4 shops full of the most low end, poor quality cheap and ugly clothes ever. They're not even branded, and the clothes are all gaudy, tacky, corset style dresses in ugly neon colours like yellow or green, rainbow leg warmers or tshirts with slogans such as YOLO or pictures of moustaches, I even saw a top in there where they printed a picture of Rihanna walking down the street on it obviously taken from a magazine. They even sold fake Calvin Klein handbags in there for about £5 once, but mis spelt as something like "Cavrin Kliem". I either see chavs in those shops, or those that go in there just to laugh at how bad the clothes are (like I do )
    Ahahaha. That sounds horrific! I've never been to Bristol but here in Glasgow we have a little "shopping centre" that sounds like it's very similar! I try to avoid the place because I actually find it so depressing! I only go in for the pet shop but I've never actually seen anybody buying any clothes there - I don't know how they are still in business. Halloween maybe? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Aren't their clothes generally chavvy anyway?

I also find I get dirty looks whenever I walk into River Island or Topshop or places like that. Maybe they don't think I'm 'upmarket' enough for them, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinzyLoo)
    Ahahaha. That sounds horrific! I've never been to Bristol but here in Glasgow we have a little "shopping centre" that sounds like it's very similar! I try to avoid the place because I actually find it so depressing! I only go in for the pet shop but I've never actually seen anybody buying any clothes there - I don't know how they are still in business. Halloween maybe? :confused:
    :lol: I know that one of the shops is called Dress4Less, the clothes in there are really DIABOLICAL :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    It does vary a bit depending on the size of the store I think - the one in York is tiny and it's awful. I never bother looking in there because there's hardly anything in there and the stuff that is there is all chavvy, tacky stuff. But the one in Southampton is bigger and it's not too bad. There is still a lot of rubbish in there, but it's worth a look because I have managed to find some nice things in there. A lot of it's quite overpriced though.

ReputationRep:
    They've always been a little bit chavvy anyway lets be honest.

ReputationRep:
    River Island at its Chav finest..http://www.riverisland.com/women/sal...ker-hat-627309

ReputationRep:
    they always been chavvy, never bought anything from that overpriced god-awful shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    River Island at its Chav finest..http://www.riverisland.com/women/sal...ker-hat-627309
    That hat iz wel mint innit?

ReputationRep:
    *got (unless you ARE American..)

And yeah I never go in there anymore, I have a jacket from there and that's it, nothing in there appeals to me anymore and when it does I don't find the fit very good. I find it very tacky and overpriced. While Topshop quality isn't great and it is also overpriced, I always without fail find something I love.

ReputationRep:
    Well there are still nice stuff in there you just gotta find it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanessaXD)
    Well there are still nice stuff in there you just gotta find it
    I agree, it's just getting harder to find the nice stuff

ReputationRep:
    Its a generation thing; every generation thinks generic high street stores like Topman/River Island/Burtons etc gets chavvier year on year.

I went in Burtons the other day to try and find some cords, and I was like wtf are these clothes? It was like a one direction concert. Burtons used to be a normal shop that sold normal stuff.

Clearly I am too old for Burtons.

ReputationRep:
    More chavs have started shopping there so I imagine their demand has changed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.