The Student Room Group

A question about fee status

I'm a non-EU EEA national and I'm interested in doing an M.Phil. at a British University, however, I don't think it is likely that I will get any funding and I'm not sure it will be possible for me to get loans for the very high overseas fees I'm likely to have to pay, nor am I very interested in that.

So, I started looking into the (complicated) rules that govern which fee category one falls into. I found this website that tries to explain the rules, where category 6 might apply to my case: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/tuition_fees_e_he.php#cat6

This seems to say that if I'm a worker in the UK, I'm eligible for home fee status, but this surely cannot be correct. My question is, can it really be true that the only thing I need to do is to go to the UK and get a job?
Looks that way. Not that finding a job near the university of your choice is necessarily going to be easy.

I'd consult a person or organisation who can give expert advice related to your specific circumstances. The university you wish to attend might be able to help.
Reply 2
Well the third point within your noted point states that you must have been living in an EEA country for the past 3 years?

Have you? If yes, then I would believe you can be considered a home student for your fee status.
Reply 3
Well, that's not entirely clear either. I have been in an EEA country, not my own, studying for two years, and the website states that I "must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA", which apparently excludes living there for educational purposes. However, if I hadn't done that, I would have stayed in my own country, which is in the EEA. So, I would think that I would meet that condition.
Reply 4
Original post by afangar
Well, that's not entirely clear either. I have been in an EEA country, not my own, studying for two years, and the website states that I "must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA", which apparently excludes living there for educational purposes. However, if I hadn't done that, I would have stayed in my own country, which is in the EEA. So, I would think that I would meet that condition.

Well I believe it's safe to say that your situation is quite unique, your best bet would be contacting your targeted institution or the UKCISA regarding this for an ultimatium.

I do feel quite positively about you being considered a home student, but only take this as a 'random person's opinion'. Do find out officially though. Good luck!
Reply 5
Ugh, hopefully you have more luck than me.
Reply 6
Original post by alishaikha
Well I believe it's safe to say that your situation is quite unique, your best bet would be contacting your targeted institution or the UKCISA regarding this for an ultimatium.

I think I'll e-mail the UKCISA. I don't know yet where I will go to study, the best place that will have me, I guess.
Reply 7
I sent an e-mail to Oxford, one of the places I'm planning to apply to (UKCISA doesn't accept e-mails, only calls!). This is what they said:
Thank you very much for your email. Until you have made an application we cannot assess your fee status, but we can provide some general advice.

In order to qualify as an EEA migrant worker, you must be resident in the UK as a ‘worker’ on the first day (1 September) of an academic year of your course and you must have been ordinarily resident in the EEA/Switzerland or the Overseas Territories for three years before the first day of your course (1 September of your first year).

Universities and Student Finance England can discount an EEA national’s worker status if there is evidence that they have sought employment in the UK solely for the purposes of obtaining Home tuition fees and/or student support.

Not sure how to interpret this, nor how "solely for the purposes of obtaining Home tuition fees" is determined.
In summary the rule goes like this: In order to qualify for Home fee status you have to have been resident in the UK or another EU country *for three years immediately prior to the start of the course* - and for purposes other than education.

Essentially this means that you (or your parents if you are under 18/still dependent) have to have been paying UK/EU income tax for those three years in order to qualify for a fee rate that is heavily subsidised by the UK government.

If you dont qualify as a Home student, one alternative is to look at postgraduate funding schemes that are also open to Overseas applicants as these would cover your higher rate of fees. Although British Research Councils generally wont fund you, other schemes funded by that specific University often do. Check out www.jobs.ac.uk - scroll down to the bottom of the first page to 'scholarships', and see what you can find. Apply for anything possible and keep checking back as advertisements change frequently. You should also email the *department* you are interested in studying at and asking what funding other *overseas* students on your intended course have used in the past.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
From what I've read it's not just about the EU/UK, but also the EEA, as you can see from the reply I got from Oxford.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending