Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellaott)
    WJEC are such sly dogs! They literally try and catch you out on everything, its as if they want you to fail or something.
    I. Know. WHY DO THEY DO THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyianni)
    I. Know. WHY DO THEY DO THIS
    makes me sick, i spend half my life revising for their exams so i can hopefully go to uni and have a not so **** future but no, WJEC couldnt care any less

ReputationRep:
    Down with the system!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarno)
    Down with the system!
    I need to know what others put lol.

What did you put for the ATP question? I just put cell division and active transport as it's a universal energy source.

Also, what did you put in the the universal energy source question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)

What did you put for the ATP question? I just put cell division and active transport as it's a universal energy source.

For Importance, I put:

-ATP can be stored so it provides a means of storing energy
    -ATP release energy in small amount when needed
    -only one enzyme required?
    -Used in active transport

For universal energy, I put:

-It is a common source of energy
    -synthesized and used by all living organism

I hope they are right lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mclovin123)

Ahh, that question tripped me a bit, not sure if I got it right.

I said
    -ATP is used in metabolic processes such as Active Transport and protein synthesis
    -It allows energy to be released in small chunks otherwise energy would be lost from substrates such as glucose
    -It allows energy to be stored and used when needed
    Something along those lines

Universal energy source
    -ATP can be converted to ADP and Pi, releasing energy when required
    -ATP can then be reformed by combining ADP and Pi when energy needs to be stored
    -ATP can be used in many cell processes (was rabbiting on at this point)

ReputationRep:
    The universal energy question has come up on past papers before, I think the answer was simply because

ATP is used as an energy source for ALL reactions in ALL cells

But then they gave you so much space to answer it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam awesome , the chemiosmosis question I found hard though. Completely dodged the kidney but since BY2 was such a dodgy paper finally some luck on this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellaott)
    makes me sick, i spend half my life revising for their exams so i can hopefully go to uni and have a not so **** future but no, WJEC couldnt care any less
    Feeling exactly the same .. Why test us on stupid **** like quaternary structure when they know everyone would have spent hours on stuff like ultrafiltration loop of henle etc. yeah it's like they couldn't care less... Still so annoyed about this exam :|

ReputationRep:
    Feeling exactly the same .. Why test us on stupid **** like quaternary structure when they know everyone would have spent hours on stuff like ultrafiltration loop of henle etc. yeah it's like they couldn't care less... Still so annoyed about this exam :|
    It is absolutely ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    tell me about it! so unfair, yeah exactly. dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do now

ReputationRep:
    I answered the importance of ATP by just listing advantages, it was such an ambiguous question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luppy021)
    I answered the importance of ATP by just listing advantages, it was such an ambiguous question...
    I listed what ATP is used for but really not at all sure... so annoying, I wish they'd just TELL us what they want us to tell them instead of making us try to second guess it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulmedic28)
    I listed what ATP is used for but really not at all sure... so annoying, I wish they'd just TELL us what they want us to tell them instead of making us try to second guess it!
    I agree. I swear at least 30% of the marks aren't for knowing any biology, it's for trying to figure out what the hell they're asking for. And then you can put an answer that technically is correct, but if it's not on their mark scheme you won't get any marks -_- I looked at the OCR Biology paper and it's so much better...

ReputationRep:
    My only advice is to pretty much memorise the text book and look at as many past papers as possible, because quite often the same question comes up twice - like the importance of ATP and why it's a universal energy currency was actually a question on a past paper once so I just learnt the mark scheme answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bord3r)
    Then what is this thread for exactly? Exam threads are for discussing the paper after the exam, just look at the AQA and OCR Biology exam threads.
    theres nothing wrong with posting the answers......thats kinda what TSR is for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romalaification)
    My only advice is to pretty much memorise the text book and look at as many past papers as possible, because quite often the same question comes up twice - like the importance of ATP and why it's a universal energy currency was actually a question on a past paper once so I just learnt the mark scheme answer.
    agreed, and even if you don't have enough time to do a past paper to revise what you get wrong, just looking through a past paper to see what sort of answers they want is very useful and looking through it with a group of friends doing the same exam is good revision too, they could have read more extra stuff and know more about certain subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamcusirinzon)
    I thought along the same lines as you at first!! but then I realised if it was NADH2 then it would've present in glycolysis as well but it wasnt...in my opinion it was carbon dioxide and the enzyme was decarboxylase.
    I really hated that diagram. I thought it wasn't clear at all, especially because the version of the Krebs cycle we'd been taught had 2x 4 carbon intermediates and that one only had one, which threw me. Also I swear "W" could have been NADH (enzyme = dehydrogenase) or CO2 (decarboxylase) because both come off at both places labelled W. I actually wrote next to my answer that both were possible so it was a very unclear question, but I put CO2 as my 'final' answer. Why the hell do we do WJEC? The OCR Biology papers look so much better...

ReputationRep:
    For the aerobic resp qs I put CO2 but the next qs was which enzyme produces it. I ended up putting decarboxylases but in fact they don't produce the damn thing, they just catalyse the process of removing it! Oh dear WJEC, not another shambles paper.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone hope it went okay for you all!
    I sat it yesterday after weeks and weeks of revision.
    The "W", was CO2, and the enzyme was decarboxylase.
    The two forms of nitrogen, were nitrates which are taken up in the xylem, it couldn't be nitrites or ammonium ions because they still remain in the soil before being taken up as nitrates.
    Also pretty sure it's amino acids as the second one which are transported in the phloem.
    Overall it was quite an easy paper I thought!
    For the Glycolysis questions, it was definetly 2,6 2 1.
    I got 1380000 aswell, but didn't mention clumping and was annoyed haha!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.