The Student Room Group

WJEC biology BY4 11/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I think it was a good paper overall but I find WJEC questions incredibly ambiguous, particularly in this paper.
For the table - did people use the same letters more than once?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 221
Original post by Raffy05
I think it was a good paper overall but I find WJEC questions incredibly ambiguous, particularly in this paper.
For the table - did people use the same letters more than once?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I did, i think i used the letter g twice
Reply 222
Original post by piers.townsend
Hey everyone hope it went okay for you all!
I sat it yesterday after weeks and weeks of revision.
The "W", was CO2, and the enzyme was decarboxylase.
The two forms of nitrogen, were nitrates which are taken up in the xylem, it couldn't be nitrites or ammonium ions because they still remain in the soil before being taken up as nitrates.

Rhizobium bacteria in root nodules make ammonium ions from atmospheric nitrogen, in this form it is taken up by the plant. I'm pretty certain the answers were ammonium ions and nitrates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Original post by adamcusirinzon
I thought along the same lines as you at first!! but then I realised if it was NADH2 then it would've present in glycolysis as well but it wasnt...in my opinion it was carbon dioxide and the enzyme was decarboxylase.
Urgh!! why do they ask such ambiguous questions, I but Carbon dioxide and decarboxylase but then changed it to NADH and dehydrogenase after I was going through the paper for the final time. they have to be Absurd about everything. half the time its us guessing what the hell the question is asking rather than thinking as to whether we know the answer or not. SILLY PEOPLE.
Reply 224
Original post by popnit
For the aerobic resp qs I put CO2 but the next qs was which enzyme produces it. I ended up putting decarboxylases but in fact they don't produce the damn thing, they just catalyse the process of removing it! Oh dear WJEC, not another shambles paper.

it is because decarboxylase removes a carboxyl group in the form of COOH which leads to the production of CO2
Reply 225
Original post by 99ja02
it is because decarboxylase removes a carboxyl group in the form of COOH which leads to the production of CO2

ahhhh ok
Reply 226
Hey everyone hope it went okay for you all!I sat it yesterday after weeks and weeks of revision.The "W", was CO2, and the enzyme was decarboxylase.The two forms of nitrogen, were nitrates which are taken up in the xylem, it couldn't be nitrites or ammonium ions because they still remain in the soil before being taken up as nitrates.Also pretty sure it's amino acids as the second one which are transported in the phloem.Overall it was quite an easy paper I thought!For the Glycolysis questions, it was definetly 2,6 2 1.I got 1380000 aswell, but didn't mention clumping and was annoyed haha!
I put nitrates and amino acids as the two forms aswell... Glad I'm not the only one haha!Also, I hate WJEC -.-
Reply 227
"NITROGEN

plants can use is called nitro- ... Plants absorb nitrogen in the forms of ( NO3. -) or am- monium ( ..."

Suck it bitches

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 228
Original post by Picksel8
"NITROGENplants can use is called nitro- ... Plants absorb nitrogen in the forms of ( NO3. -) or am- monium ( ..."Suck it bitches Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit harsh :P I didn't say I was right, just that I wrote it ahah... Think I thought it because I read that nitrogen is transported in the plant as nitrates in the xylem and amino acids in the phloem, buuut I've just thought that that doesn't mean they're taken up as amino acids.. Oops:frown:
Original post by shawneexo
Bit harsh :P I didn't say I was right, just that I wrote it ahah... Think I thought it because I read that nitrogen is transported in the plant as nitrates in the xylem and amino acids in the phloem, buuut I've just thought that that doesn't mean they're taken up as amino acids.. Oops:frown:

I put amino acids too, remembered reading that it combines with organic acid and then translocated to tissues. They may accept both as it's not exactly clear, then again it is wjec.
Reply 230
Original post by AndrewCoppola
I put amino acids too, remembered reading that it combines with organic acid and then translocated to tissues. They may accept both as it's not exactly clear, then again it is wjec.
Ahh yeah probably not, they're so fussy -.- I just want a nice exam marker to take pity on me for my effort haha!
Reply 231
Original post by shawneexo
Ahh yeah probably not, they're so fussy -.- I just want a nice exam marker to take pity on me for my effort haha!

WJEC don't use people with emotions to mark exams, they use cold, soulless, remorseless robots, programmed solely to abide literally to their mark schemes.
Reply 232
Original post by Bord3r
WJEC don't use people with emotions to mark exams, they use cold, soulless, remorseless robots, programmed solely to abide literally to their mark schemes.

Haha! Sounds about right actually, sucks to be us!
The question was two forms in which Nitrogen is taken up in plants.
For all I know, I wasn't trying to impress, I was stating what I think it is.
I still think it is that, yes, Rhizobium is present on root nodules of legumes, but... they wouldn't be taken up in that form. Ammonium ions wouldn't be good for the plant and I'm pretty sure it would harm them.
I still think it's nitrates, and amino acids. But hey you could be right man, I just hope I'm right for an extra mark haha!
It's true what somebody said above though about the dependent factors, it said describe didn't it! I didn't describe them, I stated them and just said it would stop exceeding of carrying capacity. I hope I did well!
Reply 234
We've all failed and we're all going to study at Oxford Brooke's imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 235
Original post by Bord3r

hahahhahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was just thinking about how nice the essay on the calvin cycle was!!! 3 marks for stating what happend to triose phosphate, and stating origin of raw materials in process...given that theres three used in the process it's crazyyy!! maybe i've misread who knows? And I think the grade boundaries will automatically be lower for these exams because lets not forget they're two weeks earlier than usual...i remember a2 exams last year starting in late jan!! there must've been some who assumed that the exams were late jan again nd only found out like mid-dec that they were early jan
The question was two forms in which Nitrogen is taken up in plants.
For all I know, I wasn't trying to impress, I was stating what I think it is.
I still think it is that, yes, Rhizobium is present on root nodules of legumes, but... they wouldn't be taken up in that form. Ammonium ions wouldn't be good for the plant and I'm pretty sure it would harm them.
I still think it's nitrates, and amino acids. But hey you could be right man, I just hope I'm right for an extra mark haha!
It's true what somebody said above though about the dependent factors, it said describe didn't it! I didn't describe them, I stated them and just said it would stop exceeding of carrying capacity. I hope I did well!

I think they'll accept ammonium ions or amino acids....if ammonium was bad then why did u have ammonium nitrate fertiliser :wink: ....and what did u put for where the final electron acceptor became reduced on that 8 mark table...in the end I think I pointed it at thylakoid membrane for chlroplast and inner mitochondrial membrane for mitochondrion...I changed my answer sooo many times tho I can't remember...also, the bloody question on stimuli was a trick one too because it was a motor neurone not a sensory one...they usually give one mark for saying 'action potentials are all or nothing events' tho lmfao
Original post by Picksel8
Rhizobium bacteria in root nodules make ammonium ions from atmospheric nitrogen, in this form it is taken up by the plant. I'm pretty certain the answers were ammonium ions and nitrates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I put that two as well as the answers but yeah this particular question was ambiguous... :smile:
Reply 239
Ugh I hate WJEC! -_-
I didn't explain about the density dependent/independent factors.. that was one of the only questions I was confident with as well!

Does anyone think that nitrates & ammonia would have counted for the mark/s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending