Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean 50 out of the 80 marks???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARSSK_SaLmAnKhAn)
    Do you mean 50 out of the 80 marks???
    Yes it seems the B boundary is normally between about 48 and 56 out of 80.

For an A, typically you need about 60/80.

ReputationRep:
    Wow Really?? From my past papers ive been getting 59 out of 80 and Im really worried about it, keep grading it as c. My teacher said 80% is an a. do you know the grade boundaries percentage wise.

From the past papers I can see I keep making small silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARSSK_SaLmAnKhAn)
    Wow Really?? From my past papers ive been getting 59 out of 80 and Im really worried about it, keep grading it as c. My teacher said 80% is an a. do you know the grade boundaries percentage wise.

From the past papers I can see I keep making small silly mistakes.
    No 59/80 would be a solid B or a low A on most papers. The boundaries vary depending on the difficulty/ how well people do. Your teacher probably doesn't understand how UMS works.

I consistently lose marks for not stating the obvious. I'll be more careful tomorrow though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    No 59/80 would be a solid B or a low A on most papers. The boundaries vary depending on the difficulty/ how well people do. Your teacher probably doesn't understand how UMS works.

I consistently lose marks for not stating the obvious. I'll be more careful tomorrow though.
    Well thanks alot anyway!! Best get revising and Good Luck for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Inhibitory drugs - slow down transmission of impulse. Molecules are similar shape to a neurotransmitter and block receptors so no Na+ gates can open.

Amplification of impulse speeds up transmission because molecules are non-competitive inhibitor or acetylcholinesterase so Na+ gates stay open.

right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBean1994)
    Inhibitory drugs - slow down transmission of impulse. Molecules are similar shape to a neurotransmitter and block receptors so no Na+ gates can open.

Amplification of impulse speeds up transmission because molecules are non-competitive inhibitor or acetylcholinesterase so Na+ gates stay open.

right?
    Stimulatory drugs such as Caffeine, Cocaine etc can; mimic the neurotransmitter, increase the production of neurotransmitter, prevent breakdown of neurotransmitter on Post SM.

Inhibitory drugs such as Beta Blockers can; block the receptors on the post SM, prevent Ca2+ from entering the pre synaptic knob, prevent the release of neurotransmitter.

These drugs don't speed up transmission they simply increase the stimulation of the post synaptic neurone.

In the case of Acetylcholinesterase, it is an enzyme which breaks down Acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. Organophosphates competitively (?) inhibit the enzyme so Acetylcholine is not broken down and therefore remains in the receptors of the Post SM. An action potential will continue to be stimulated leading to uncontrolled contractions of muscles. This causes the organism to over heat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevo95)
    Haha i think it's about the only topic I'm confident with hello fail!
    No pressure but BY5 is muchos harder so no mentioning fails because they equal resits and we don't resits. try your best

ReputationRep:
    Good luck today guys!

ReputationRep:
    Frantically cramming for this afternoon! Think I know most of the syllabus but it's just some of the questions that WJEC ask are so ambiguous/don't make sense and the mark scheme is so specific to having certain words in your answer!

How's everyone feeling?

ReputationRep:
    Decent. What were those black blobby things on the membrane surface of the chloroplasts and mitochondria?! I assumed they were pumps...

Loads of bacteria too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were ATP synthase.

ReputationRep:
    Such a shocking paper. Doomed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As usual, an exam from WJEC that amplifies the smallest parts of the course.

ReputationRep:
    Overall thought the paper was okay there were some stupid question an made stupid mistakes, but loved the essay

ReputationRep:
    tey were the stalked particles i think! i quite enjoyed that paper!

ReputationRep:
    which essay did you do? i chose osmoregulation

ReputationRep:
    I did the photosynthesis one

ReputationRep:
    Bloody quarternary structure. Nice BY1 question...

ReputationRep:
    I did the Calvin cycle essay question. The quaternary structure qs was disgusting..overall quite a **** paper although some questions were ok.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.