Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What was with the BY1 question.. Got all that wrong :/ took me a while to get my head round the question with the mitochondria and chloroplast and choosing the correct letters. Lots of population stuff and nothing on the kidney...meh. Not sure how that one went. What did people get for the serial dilution calculation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyianni)
    What was with the BY1 question.. Got all that wrong :/ took me a while to get my head round the question with the mitochondria and chloroplast and choosing the correct letters. Lots of population stuff and nothing on the kidney...meh. Not sure how that one went. What did people get for the serial dilution calculation?
    I got 1,380,000 I think??

ReputationRep:
    Yes I got 1,380,000 as well.

ReputationRep:
    Damn. Forgot to times it by two :/

ReputationRep:
    that was ok i guess. For the first question when it said what process would be slowed down due to ploughing- what did you lot put for that?

but got to say the june 2012 past paper i did was much easier- less ambiguous

ReputationRep:
    HB4 was okay, it wasn't ideal but for what is was I think it went well

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was quite a nice paper.... Again the protein question wasnt nice.... And there was nothing on kidneys!!! ( I did the Calvin cycle essay)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sjain29)
    that was ok i guess. For the first question when it said what process would be slowed down due to ploughing- what did you lot put for that?

but got to say the june 2012 past paper i did was much easier- less ambiguous
    I put denitrification but by sure if that's write. I agree I prefer the June 2012 paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyianni)
    Damn. Forgot to times it by two :/
    why did you have to multiply it by 2? I think I got 680000. Is that wrong then? Damn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello13)
    I put denitrification but by sure if that's write. I agree I prefer the June 2012 paper
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    What are two forms of nitrogen taken up by plants? I put nitrates and ammonium.
    As someone has already said WJEC insist on asking questions from little obscure parts of the syllabus and avoid whole topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got denitrification, because draining the fields would cause for more aerobic conditions, and denitrification needs anaerobic conditions? I dunno probably wrong

For the serial dilution calculation i got something like 1.38x10^-12!

Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bord3r)
    What are two forms of nitrogen taken up by plants? I put nitrates and ammonium.
    As someone has already said WJEC insist on asking questions from little obscure parts of the syllabus and avoid whole topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I put nitrates and ammonium ions, not sure whether they'd be fussy on saying ions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hcsbc)
    why did you have to multiply it by 2? I think I got 680000. Is that wrong then? Damn!
    Because it gave you the value for a 0.5cm^3 measurement, and they wanted your answer per cm^3. sneaky

ReputationRep:
    For the question about two forms of nitrogen I put nitrites and nitrates??

Stupid paper..so much on microbiology and population growth bloody stupid!

What did you lot put for the reason that the "bacteria C" which was gram negative was more likely to be the cause of food poisoning? That one really annoyed me because I couldn't think!

also when it asked why the number we go for the bacteria was an underestimation did anyone else put because it was a viable count so it was for living cells only?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picksel8)
    Because it gave you the value for a 0.5cm^3 measurement, and they wanted your answer per cm^3. sneaky
    What did you get for that question on gram-staining?
    I mentioned about gram + having thicker peptidoglycan layer, which retains crystal violet gram stain and that gram - had a thinner peptidoglycan layer and a layer of lipopolysaccharide, which didn't retain gram stain but retained pink/red safranin counter-stain

and also, what did people think about the populations questions? what on earth did they mean about describing the density dependent factors?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picksel8)
    I put nitrates and ammonium ions, not sure whether they'd be fussy on saying ions
    I put nitrites and ammonium ions? Would nitrites be okay??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lysipud)

What did you lot put for the reason that the "bacteria C" which was gram negative was more likely to be the cause of food poisoning? That one really annoyed me because I couldn't think!

also when it asked why the number we go for the bacteria was an underestimation did anyone else put because it was a viable count so it was for living cells only?
    nope, the answer for the viable count question was that it doesn't allow for clumping of cells
    also, i flopped that question about bacteria c also. Only realised after the exam that because it was gram negative the additional cell wall layers would've protected it from the hydrolytic enzymes in the human gut :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lysipud)

I put nitrates and nitrites too! I think plants can take up nitrities so i think its right!

I put C was gram negative, so it can't be broken down by antibiotics and is not destroyed by boiling...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamcusirinzon)
    What did you get for that question on gram-staining?
    I mentioned about gram + having thicker peptidoglycan layer, which retains crystal violet gram stain and that gram - had a thinner peptidoglycan layer and a layer of lipopolysaccharide, which didn't retain gram stain but retained pink/red safranin counter-stain

and also, what did people think about the populations questions? what on earth did they mean about describing the density dependent factors?!
    Density dependent factors.... Availability of food source... space... accumulation of toxic waste etc...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.