Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In need of revision/tips for the AQA English Language Exam on Jan 10th 2012 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGirlx)
    I've got model answers for each question ranging from students who got low marks on each question and students who got the highest marks on each question. If you want the model answers for every question, let me know.
    It gives you an idea about what you need to include in each question to get the highest marks.

hi, could you send them to me too please!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    I am currently revising by going through past papers I have done and practising questions I lose the most marks on (Make the questions up or find past questions on the AQA website and use the mark scheme to give yourself a mark.

Time Plan:
    Reading time: 15 mins
    Qu 1: 12 mins
    Qu 2: 12 mins
    Qu 3: 12 mins
    Qu 4: 24 mins

Writting Section
    Qu 5: 25 mins (5 min planning time*)
    QU 6: 35 mins (5 min planning time*)
    *You don't need to plan. But sometimes it helps to get your thoughts in order.
    hi, i just want to know that when you plan your answers, where do u write the plan?? do u just do a headline saying PLAN and after write a headline that says ANSWER??

ReputationRep:
    ^ Well I did my literature exam 6 months ago and all I did for plan was create a small bubble and list all I can think of on the first few lines of the exam paper then pick a few which I want to write about.
    This exams a killer though, I hope that I'm in my writing zone on the day!

ReputationRep:
    Foundation Tier:
    I'm not sure if this will help anyone else (but they did help me) here are some of my notes that I was given by my teacher:
    Section A: Reading
    Examiners tips- For Q1a 1b+ Q2; Candidates should get full marks:
    Information retrieval 'selecting appropriate material for purpose' RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THE QUESTION
    Q1b+ 2
    Make a point-support it with evidence-infer (hints/clues/suggestions)
    Q1b: x2 points - 2 supports - infer= full marks (4 marks)
    Q2: x4 points (actually respond+answer the question FF-'Find the focus') - 4 supports - infer= full marks (8 marks)
    PSI-POINT SUPPORT INFERENCE
    YOU CAN DO Q3+4 FIRST IF IT HELPS WITH TIME MANAGEMENT
    AND REMEMBER TO WRITE WITHIN THE MARGINS

Q3- Language its effects on readers (12 marks)
    Q4- Presentational devices with the comparative element (12 marks)

IF YOU DON'T DO EITHER Q3 OR Q4 OR BOTH YOU CANNOT GET A C GRADE!

Q3:
    Worth 12 marks (18-20 minutes)
    Language (language techniques) + their effects on the reader
    PEA (Point about language - evidence (short quotations could be better I think) - analyse in detail the effects of the language)
    x4-PEA's

NEVER MAKE GENERAL STOCK STATEMENTS e.g. it stands out/it's memoriable

Language:
    Use of 2nd person pronouns
    Narrative voice (first person 'I'/'we' 3rd person 'they'/'she'/'he' 2nd person 'you')
    Sentence structures
    AFOREST (persuasive devices)
    Informative (facts,opinions,statistics etc.)
    Descriptive devices
    Connectives

Q4:
    12 marks (20 minutes)
    Using PRESENTATIONAL DEVICES with a COMPARATIVE ELEMENT
    Avoid 'stock phrases' e.g. it's colourful/it's eye-catching/ it stands out/ it catches the reader's attention
    Structure/layout: font(-size/in bold/italics), images, comparisons (connective of contrast/addition

If anyone found this helpful then I think I could add a little more to the reading section and when I have time I could try to show my notes on the writing section. I have to give credit to my amazing English teacher who gave us a lot to prepare for this exam. I do hope this really helps and that we all can get good grades in this test inshallah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    I'm planning to do the questions in the following order with the according time periods:

Q4) spending 25 minutes (I don't even have to properly read the articles for this question, just quickly skim them, so no reading time will be allocated)

Q1) spending 15 minutes (this includes 5 min reading time)

Q2 ) spending 15 minutes (again, 5 min reading time is included)

Q3) spending 15 minutes (5 min reading time)

I will then progress to do:

Q5) 25 minutes

Q6) 35 minutes (I haven't included any planning time as I tend to just improvise and write as I go. This works for me, but you may want to include some planning time for yourself.)

In regard to revision, so far I've just gone to my corner shop every couple of days (three times this holiday), picked up a newspaper (the Evening Standard or Guardian) and selected three articles that match the tediousness of the articles the exam usually include (e.g absolutely THRILLING(!) articles on how to grow garlic!) I'd usually select two informative articles and then one story-like article.

I'll then just jot down the key points I'd make for each of the reading questions, using the generic questions:
    1) What can you learn from...
    2) How are the headline, subtitle + picture effective and how do they link with the text?
    3) Explain some of the thoughts and feelings...
    4) Compare the ways language is used for effect...

I don't actually write the answer in full :P

For revision for the writing section, I do none other than go over some language devices to employ, particularly for sixth question :cool:

Oh, also, it's good to go over the mark schemes for the paper. They're available on the AQA website. It's also beneficial if you go over the techniques required to be exercised when answering the questions. You've probably learnt this in class!

Again, this is the revision technique that works for me. I hope I've helped

Here are some YouTube videos my school made to help us revise for the paper:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB5047701999834FF
    Thank you! This was really helpful. Would you mind linking me to the mark schemes that are available on AQA's website? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzie.M)
    Could you also send me the higher mark model answers please.
    private message me your email
    sorry the files too big for me to upload straight onto the thread

ReputationRep:
    yeah sure pm me your email
    the files too big for me to upload onto this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_gyal97)
    hi, i just want to know that when you plan your answers, where do u write the plan?? do u just do a headline saying PLAN and after write a headline that says ANSWER??
    My teacher taught us that you plan on the first page of questions 4,5 & 6. Then when you've finished with the plan you put a slash through it. My teacher also said that if you put a plan it boosts your grade because the examiner can see your thought process answering the question.
    Hope it helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prekt)
    Thank you! This was really helpful. Would you mind linking me to the mark schemes that are available on AQA's website? Cheers
    You're welcome

And sure, they're here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/...ials.php?id=01

Click 'Past question papers and mark schemes', choose a series and then the papers and their corresponding mark schemes should come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kill3er)
    So what do you mean by reread through the book? Which book?
    Of mice and men

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLightBulb)
    Of mice and men

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This exam is not on Of mice and men.
    This is the Language exam in which, for the first section you are presented with 3 sources and asked questions to test your reading skills. And in the second section you are asked to complete a long and short writing task to test your writing skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andri0z)
    My teacher taught us that you plan on the first page of questions 4,5 & 6. Then when you've finished with the plan you put a slash through it. My teacher also said that if you put a plan it boosts your grade because the examiner can see your thought process answering the question.
    Hope it helped.
    oh okay so i should just cross it out afterwards?
    and thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone plan on doing the writing section first? Then the reading section? Im not sure whether its a good idea

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone plan on doing the writing section first? Then the reading section? Im not sure whether its a good idea

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I'm definitely NOT going to do the writing section first - for the following reasons:

1) Every mock I've had, I've completed the reading section then the writing section.
    2) I find the writing section significantly easier than the reading, and, as it's a long exam, would rather do it after I've completed the reading section.
    3) You also, in my opinion, need to remember more information to reach high marks on the reading section than the writing section, so I complete it normally to ease the strain of recalling any information that you must include later on in the exam.

If you're comfortable completing the exam in any order, by all means do it. That said, how will it actually benefit you? I'd advise you to do it in the same order you have completed your mocks with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweet_gyal97)
    oh okay so i should just cross it out afterwards?
    and thanks
    Yes, you should cross out anything that you don't want to be examined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey4live)
    I think this youtube channel might help http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...O&feature=plcp there are others like it on youtube but I find this the most helpful.
    Hugely useful, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have a few questions to add to all this
    1) on the writing section, do you tend to go with the first idea that comes into your head when you see the question?
    2) In your plan, do you write a list of the devices you'll use (e.g. simile, statistics, groups of 3 etc)... Or do you just add them in as you go along?
    3) does anyone even manage to use similes? I find it impossible! :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mrbruff.com/ebook/

I just found this online - it's so relevant and full of valuable information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prekt)
    http://www.mrbruff.com/ebook/

I just found this online - it's so relevant and full of valuable information
    (Original post by joey4live)
    I think this youtube channel might help http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...O&feature=plcp there are others like it on youtube but I find this the most helpful.
    I've got model answers for each question ranging from students who got low marks on each question and students who got the highest marks on each question. If you want the model answers for every question, let me know.
    It gives you an idea about what you need to include in each question to get the highest marks.
    Thank you very much guys. These websites/resources are very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prekt)
    Hugely useful, thanks.
    No problem Good Luck in the exam

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.