Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In need of revision/tips for the AQA English Language Exam on Jan 10th 2012 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kill3er)
    Thank you very much guys. These websites/resources are very useful.
    You're welcome, all the best in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvasiveRose)
    I am currently revising by going through past papers I have done and practising questions I lose the most marks on (Make the questions up or find past questions on the AQA website and use the mark scheme to give yourself a mark.

Time Plan:
    Reading time: 15 mins
    Qu 1: 12 mins
    Qu 2: 12 mins
    Qu 3: 12 mins
    Qu 4: 24 mins

Writting Section
    Qu 5: 25 mins (5 min planning time*)
    QU 6: 35 mins (5 min planning time*)
    *You don't need to plan. But sometimes it helps to get your thoughts in order.
    My English teacher has engraved this in the deepest crevices of my brain! :five:

ReputationRep:
    Hi... I hv got exam on 10 january 2013... M really worried.... I m revising for english exam but finding it really hard... Can someone help me please!
    I need help in question 2- how the heading, picture and sub heading is effective? And question 3- thoughts and feelings!
    Thnks

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have my retake English language exam on the 10th January I seriously need help on question 4?! As I lost marks on that question, my sort of help would be great thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *any

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelssss_2)
    Hi I have my retake English language exam on the 10th January I seriously need help on question 4?! As I lost marks on that question, my sort of help would be great thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    question 4 is the comparison of 2 sources right?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have the same problem, I do well in the other questions but got 6 marks in question 4 in my mock My advice is to read through this thread, there are some useful stuff like Mr Bruff's videos.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You must cross reference, focus on the language, the way in which it is used then talk about the effect on the reader. I used a weird technique which was to alternate from the first source, pick something out, explain the effect on the reader. You must focus on the language, things like sentence structure are not relevant towards the question.
    Then after picking out the linguistic features, compare the two sources you have chosen, point out similarities and differences try to find 2 of each then move on to infer but do not forget to quote.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for the help! Your feed back has helped me lets hope I do better this time round lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone... I gt exam on 10 january 2013 and m not ready to give english exam! I really need help... I dont know what to revise because this is my first time doing exam!
    Can anybody help me and tell me what to revise!
    I am doing higher tier...

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I didn't actually do any revision for English Language but I still got a good grade... Our teacher encouraged us not to do any revision, just read lots of different types of fiction and non fiction.

What I did:
    I spent 15 minutes reading. Then I spent around an hour on the reading paper, the other hour on the writing.

My top tips for the reading:
    Read the question properly and relate back to the question for each point you make. Include quotes that relate to the question.
    Analyse the language used, Like saying, this language is effective because...
    Be clear and concise. Don't waffle!

My top tips for the writing:
    Don't spend ages deciding what to write about!
    Use effective language, but not too much!
    Try to write in the style of what you are being asked to write, for example, if you have to write an article, write formally.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Awww thank you soo much.. That really helpd me!

My teacher said that in section A: reading, there are 4 questions;
    Question 1- what have you learn in source 1
    Question 2- how the headline, sub-heading and picture is effective in source 2
    Question 3- thoughts and feelings in source 3
    Question 4- comparing two sources

But i m not sure how to do question 3 and 4
    What we need to compare in question 4?? Language techniques....?? Presentational features...???

I am really very nervous and worried!
    Never done higher tier exam before!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are how the questions will be like in the exam.

For question one, just consider the main points which are learnt.

Just say how the heading is effective by the language chosen. For the picture one, think about the colours of the picture, and what the colours symbolize.

Question 3 is just describing the thoughts and feelings of the person/people in the source, you could describe some of the language techniques used to display the feelings of that person.

Question 4 is all about language techniques, how the writer uses similes, metaphors and other language techniques to make the written article/extract effective.

My advice is to not panic and revise some language techniques, as this makes writing effective! You'll be ok, so long as you try your best, that is all you can do!

ReputationRep:
    Thnk u sooo much 4 da advise.
    And i will try my best in exams! I hv revised 50% yet and will continue revising till thursday!
    Thnks alot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princessamina)
    Thnk u sooo much 4 da advise.
    And i will try my best in exams! I hv revised 50% yet and will continue revising till thursday!
    Thnks alot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're welcome, I hope you do well!

ReputationRep:
    Quick question.
    Our exams are scanned online and every question is marked by a different examiner, true?

ReputationRep:
    Yh thats right.... Every examiner marks our exam so that our exam paper is checked correctly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i got something to share...

I am sharing how to prepare layout of question 4 for those Students who don't know how to do question 4 (comparing 2 sources) in english language exam.

EASY PHRASES TO REMEMBER:

INTRODUCTION:
    - both sources have a similar theme of....
    - however, the language differs because the purpose differs. The purpose of source... is....whereas the purpose of source... Is...

PARAGRAPH 1: TONE
    - the language is similar/different because the tone is similar/different....

PARAGRAPH 2: PURPOSE
    - the language is similar/different because the purpose is similar/different...

PARAGRAPH 3: AUDIENCE
    - the language is similar/different because the audience is similar/different...

PARAGRAPH 4: SIMILAR TECHNIQUES
    - both sources use similar techniques such as...
    - however, they use it for different effects...

CONCLUSION: (need to memorise)
    - there are some similarities between the language in both sources. They sometime use the similar device but for different effects. A lot of the difference in language are due to the differences in audience and purpose.

Hope this help u.

Good luck 4 exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Every question is marked by a different examiner. So technically we're being examined by 6 examiners across Britain
    Normally I start off good and set a good impression and end good. - Not a big fan of this new marking system!
    Doing a science ideas in context resit tomorrow, can't even be asked to revise for it as the English exam is such a killer

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit of a weird question, but do you read all the sources before you attempt question one? Or do you read source one then do question one, source 2 then q2, source 3 then q3 etc? Or do you read all of them then reread them when you get to the relevant question?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.