Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigrah99)
    Again, it was an offer made outside of my auction, i.e she messaged me and offered money which I accepted, so really it was done outside of ebay but still via PayPal.

The situation has changed a bit now - the woman has been willing to wait, but it seems collect plus have LOST THE DAMN PARCEL. Lost the parcel and refuse to compensate any more than £50. So I'm the muggings having to refund the woman eventually when it is the couriers fault. I don't have that kind of money, I literally feel sick. Do I not have any rights?
    Unfortunately you will have to refund the seller however much she paid. It is not her fault the courier lost the item. Even if the item was not sold through eBay, if she put that the money was for goods, she can still charge-back. If you were in her position, you would expect to be refunded.

Also unfortunately it is unlikely you will get any more than £50 compensation from the courier for losing your parcel if you did not pay more for a higher value item. You can try writing to them, but I doubt they will budge.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    There must be something I can do - the courier were under obligation to deliver a parcel and were trusted to handle it with care. For it to just get lost (or stolen) and have them have this "oh never mind" attitude is completely unacceptable. How can I take the fault of this? As seller, I sent it out like I should have (chose a courier in particular as I thought it would be safer - was it ****) and I got let down. I will fight for this and refuse to pay out because of some incompetent fool who clearly couldn't do his job properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    You sent a high value item and didnt charge more for sending it either recorded delivery or for having it insured to its actual value. That coupled with the fact that you ended the listing early (technically against ebays principles) means youve been very stupid. And wide open for something like this.

Also you shouldnt have spent the money before the customer had received the item.

Paypal are very likely to side against you if the customer doesnt receive the item. And they will not accept "the courier lost it" as an excuse.

Well I chose a tracked courier service instead didn't I - for extra SAFETY of all things! It is just bad luck that it just happened to slap me back in the face instead - it's not like I didn't think about safety when I sent it. Also, whether or not eBay were involved, how would they help in all this? They haven't before and I imagine wouldn't have much to contribute - there's nothing at all wrong with just selling via PayPal. I'd still be screwed if I lost the parcel through an eBay sale!

"The courier lost it" is not just an excuse as your tone suggests. With tracking and full proof of postage provided, yes, I think they should take my situation into account. Where's the fairness for the sellers losing both their product AND their money!? Who's to say, if the parcel turns up, that the buyer won't end up with both? I spent the money already because I was struggling over Christmas and owed a lot, forgive me if I expected something as simple as sending a parcel not to go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    There must be something I can do - the courier were under obligation to deliver a parcel and were trusted to handle it with care. For it to just get lost (or stolen) and have them have this "oh never mind" attitude is completely unacceptable. How can I take the fault of this? As seller, I sent it out like I should have (chose a courier in particular as I thought it would be safer - was it ****) and I got let down. I will fight for this and refuse to pay out because of some incompetent fool who clearly couldn't do his job properly.
    Which courier service did you use?

In many cases, the buyer's can be scammers and receive the item but claim to not to have receieved it and with the likes of royal mail, their tracking service is very poor with items reading as still being delivered when it's already been delivered.

You can't rebel against ebay's decisions because the resolution centre decisions are final and most likely against the seller by default. It's likely that the buyer will be refunded from your paypal account regardless of you presenting a postage receipt as above user said, the courier service failed to deliver is not a valid excuse by ebay's standards. Also you can't argue with ebay because they're based overseas and there's no complaints procedure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry this has happened to you, especially with such a high-value item. I'm not an expert, so you should get professional advice, but I reckon you're going to have to compensate the buyer if it doesn't turn up (its not their fault), and just claim your £50 back from Collect+. There are several people online saying that they've had similar problems with Collect+, so I'd probably stick to UPS/ FedEx in the future. They are expensive, though...

ReputationRep:
    "The courier lost it" is not just an excuse as your tone suggests. With tracking and full proof of postage provided, yes, I think they should take my situation into account. Where's the fairness for the sellers losing both their product AND their money!?
    If your package is lost then its completely fair and reasonable for Ebay/Paypal to demand that the seller applies for compensation from the courier as they are the ones responsible for delivering it to the buyer.

Who's to say, if the parcel turns up, that the buyer won't end up with both?
    Then you can prove via the courier that the package was delivered, so PayPal will theoretically award the dispute in your favour.

I spent the money already because I was struggling over Christmas and owed a lot, forgive me if I expected something as simple as sending a parcel not to go wrong.
    Selling valuable items on Ebay carries some element of risk and things can go wrong. You need to make sure you are covered from every angle, and in this case you didn't take out enough cover on your parcel in case it went missing. You will need to take it on the chin and learn from this (expensive) lesson.

ReputationRep:
    Advice sought from the CAB and Consumer Advice tells me I have every right to my money reimbursed from CollectPlus - whether I got insurance or not. It's a breach of the Sales of Goods and Services Act and they are being unlawful to be trusted to carry out a service and not follow it through properly. To be honest - paying extra for insurance is a rip-off. Why give them more money just to make sure they're doing their job they ought to be doing in the first place?!

Luckily, I don't have to go down the legal road anyway. After being told that my package has been misplaced, and then that it's actually being returned, and then oh no sorry its been lost.. definitely lost.. OH LOOK ITS BEEN DELIVERED. Absolute shambles of a service. Apparently it looks like someone had set it down and forgot about it for a week before deciding they might mosey on down to their van to deliver it. Just in time too, because that very morning my very angry buyer was demanding an instant refund. Moral of the story - stay the hell away from CollectPlus.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.