Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegetarian food at Uni? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    i'm currently in year 12, and i know uni is a while off yet, but my tutor at sixth form has asked us to start thinking about which uni's we're interested in, and wether we're interested in catered or self-catered. i know i want to go Scotland but not sure which uni yet but....
    so i was wondering how good the vegetarian options are at most universities for catered meals? i'm particularly interested in Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh, but details from any uni would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian ... but I also don't eat fish, hate anything with mushrooms in it and have an allergy to tomatoes so I went self catered - its cheaper and you can eat what you want at whichever time!

Is there a particular reason you want catered?

ReputationRep:
    Self-catered is a lot cheaper, and it's probably more beneficial to you to learn to cook your own meals? There's lots of recipes you could learn to cook yourself for a fraction of the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GooglyEyedMonster)
    I'm vegetarian ... but I also don't eat fish, hate anything with mushrooms in it and have an allergy to tomatoes so I went self catered - its cheaper and you can eat what you want at whichever time!

Is there a particular reason you want catered?
    i also hate mushrooms! and cheese, and nuts, and thats what worries me most cause they're often in veggie meals...

well i'm actually leaning more towards self-catered, but i want to know about veggie meals as well, to help me decide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    Self-catered is a lot cheaper, and it's probably more beneficial to you to learn to cook your own meals? There's lots of recipes you could learn to cook yourself for a fraction of the price.
    yeah, i think self-catered is more for me, because of being veggie, and also cause i'm a fussy eater...thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bri-grace)
    yeah, i think self-catered is more for me, because of being veggie, and also cause i'm a fussy eater...thanks
    No problem! I'm a fussy eater too, so I'm really enjoying being able to cook for myself haha. My advice is to get a good recipe book before you leave, practice some of the recipes before you move in and bring a box of ingredients/food to last you about a week or two.

ReputationRep:
    They usually have a variety of vege options through the week but if one is a cheese based dish and the next night its mushrooms ... you will starve! If you don't like cheese nuts and mushrooms I would definitely say self catered sounds better for you!

If you are worried about cooking there are loads of student vege cookbooks about plus thousands of recipes online. You soon pick it up. I've lived in halls for 4 years now so live with a new set of freshers each year and see them progress with cooking. Plus its fairly easy once you stop being scared of heat ... or number 6 on the electric hob as my flatmates find this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    No problem! I'm a fussy eater too, so I'm really enjoying being able to cook for myself haha. My advice is to get a good recipe book before you leave, practice some of the recipes before you move in and bring a box of ingredients/food to last you about a week or two.

yeah, thats what i was thinking! get my mum to teach me a few recipies! thank you for the advice, it really helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GooglyEyedMonster)
    They usually have a variety of vege options through the week but if one is a cheese based dish and the next night its mushrooms ... you will starve! If you don't like cheese nuts and mushrooms I would definitely say self catered sounds better for you!

If you are worried about cooking there are loads of student vege cookbooks about plus thousands of recipes online. You soon pick it up. I've lived in halls for 4 years now so live with a new set of freshers each year and see them progress with cooking. Plus its fairly easy once you stop being scared of heat ... or number 6 on the electric hob as my flatmates find this year!
    yeah, thats what i'm mostly worried about really, most of the food probably isn't gonna suit me!
    well i'm okay-ish with cooking, i've done a bit, but i'd definitely get a good few cooking books before going! haha!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    yeah, thats what i'm mostly worried about really, most of the food probably isn't gonna suit me!
    well i'm okay-ish with cooking, i've done a bit, but i'd definitely get a good few cooking books before going! haha!
    I'm a fussy eater and I'm sort of semi-vegetarian so I'm going self catered. To practice I've started volunteering making meals for homeless people, which has been the most helpful thing I've ever done with regards to learning cooking skills, so if you have a spare evening even in school holidays, it's really worth doing.

I've also made a list of things I can comfortably make which has turned into a bit of a recipe book, which has been dead useful, and is a good idea if you're a fussy eater as you can just leave out any recipes which include things you don't like.

Catered is usually quite expensive too, compared to the money you can save if you buy your own food and do it sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    I briefly had catered meals and the food was great but there was only one vegetarian option (or a jacket potato with a vegetarian filling). Unless you're not fussy about food, I'd suggest going self-catered.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's pretty restrictive being in catered halls if you're vegetarian. If you're willing to spend some of your time preparing food, then you get a much wider array of foods, flexible eating times and it's often cheaper as well.

Alternatively, Pot Noodles are vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for any university you have mentioned, but my university provides pretty damn good Vegetarian options, im by no means a fussy eater I admit, but im always pleased with what's on offer.

That said, as a vegitarian it's always easier, and cheaper to go self-catered...heck as someone who eats food in uni..it's cheaper to go self-c.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be a trend, vegetarian and not liking mushrooms I'm off to Uni next year hopefully and decided that self catering was a much better idea (apart from costs) because I can make myself what I want rather than the single option at the caterers. (which from friends, never seem to be that adventurous - jacket potatoes every other night for the veggies :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    I'm a fussy eater and I'm sort of semi-vegetarian so I'm going self catered. To practice I've started volunteering making meals for homeless people, which has been the most helpful thing I've ever done with regards to learning cooking skills, so if you have a spare evening even in school holidays, it's really worth doing.

I've also made a list of things I can comfortably make which has turned into a bit of a recipe book, which has been dead useful, and is a good idea if you're a fussy eater as you can just leave out any recipes which include things you don't like.

Catered is usually quite expensive too, compared to the money you can save if you buy your own food and do it sensibly.
    yeah, i'll try to find out if theres anything like that nearby to me! i also work in a restaurant so i'm gonna ask them for some tips and stuff!

the list of recipies sounds like a really good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsman77)
    It seems to be a trend, vegetarian and not liking mushrooms I'm off to Uni next year hopefully and decided that self catering was a much better idea (apart from costs) because I can make myself what I want rather than the single option at the caterers. (which from friends, never seem to be that adventurous - jacket potatoes every other night for the veggies :confused: )
    haha, it does! but mushrooms are just naaasty! yeah, i'm pretty sure now that self-catering is better for veggies, cause i don't wanna be having the same thing all the time!

ReputationRep:
    I was in catered halls at Edinburgh last year and did not enjoy the food at all. Would definitely recommend going for self-catered unless you want to eat a jacket potato or pasta every night.

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat meat, and so I went self-catered. It's cheaper and you get full control over what and when you eat. Cooking isn't difficult - all you have to do is follow a recipe (there are some great student cookbooks out there) and if you do what it says, you will have an edible meal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toast.)
    I was in catered halls at Edinburgh last year and did not enjoy the food at all. Would definitely recommend going for self-catered unless you want to eat a jacket potato or pasta every night.
    yeah, thats what i've heard (the jacket potato thing!), so i'm definitely thinking self-catered!
    thank you for giving me info for a scottish uni anyway!

ReputationRep:
    At some Uni's you can eat self catered but have the option to buy a meal on campus if you feel like it. So you're not completely restricted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.