Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Describe The Person Above You Generation IX Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Hey Messi didn't do **** haha Was all Bartra coming on.
    They were struggling until he came on :pierre: He had an impact, he even more or less made that goal :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    They were struggling until he came on :pierre: He had an impact, he even more or less made that goal :pierre:
    Meh id say the goal got the urgency back to Barcelona besides a holding up the ball pretty well and a few nice passes was not influential. Didn't track back either.

ReputationRep:
    **** football and footballers. Overpaid scum propped up by overpriced tickets and television subscriptions guzzled up by underbrained masses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    **** football and footballers. Overpaid scum propped up by overpriced tickets and television subscriptions guzzled up by underbrained masses.
    Lool, this comment will get a lot of hate :teehee:

But yeah, footballers get paid ridiculous sums of money :yep: And some (not all) football supporters are troglodytes :lol: I think everyone has come across those men who can only talk about football and nothing else :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)

But yeah, footballers get paid ridiculous sums of money :yep: And some (not all) football supporters are troglodytes :lol: I think everyone has come across those men who can only talk about football and nothing else :grumble:
    :fuhrer: anyone who reads a post by me about football should expect it to be a mouthing off, I rarely talk positively about it. Yes, I've come across those men thinking of them makes me :mad:. :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    :fuhrer: anyone who reads a post by me about football should expect it to be a mouthing off, I rarely talk positively about it. Yes, I've come across those men thinking of them makes me :mad:. :fuhrer:
    I fully respect your opinion, I see exactly where you're coming from. :pierre:

However it is bloody entertaining! :gah:

ReputationRep:

Footballers are not overpaid btw, they are paid what the market wishes to pay them because there is **** loads of money in the market :pierre:
    I refer to you to an article I wrote two years ago :ahee:

Le iPoop of article
    With the current economic climate and families feeling the results of inflation and insecurity about the near future, it is no surprise that lately a lot of hype regarding footballers earning tens and hundreds of thousands of pounds for doing their highly marketable hobby, the brand that is, football.

Above are two articles I have found online regarding this issue. Both these articles although about vaguely similar do tackle different angles of the situation. The first article talks about what I would describe as, a horrendous amount of money offered by, (then recently) mega rich, Manchester City for Brazilian superstar Kaka. A sum of half a million although not as much as an actor/actress as mentioned in the article (Charlie Sheen made a reported $48 million a year whilst filming the hit comedy show Two and a Half Men) is absolutely insane for essentially “kicking a ball”, considering those purchasing the match days tickets and club merchandise (the teachers and nurses, whose services to the community are much, much, so much more valuable) earn a mere fraction of that. Looking at the list of the top earners on that list provided in the second article, having done the calculations, it would take a teacher on a £30,000 a year salary almost 8 years and a half to earn what the top earner makes in a week. That does seem ridiculous and, frankly, one can see why the focus is on the vast amount these professionals rake in each week.
    Going back to the second article featuring quotes from a former footballer, who when first started his career, the average weekly wage was then £1,000, a sum which now seems worlds away from the current world that footballers seem to be indulged in. Although not mentioned in both articles that sum of one thousand is the average weekly wage of a player in the Blue Square Premiere (English football’s bottom tier league). Of course, it may seem like football is not immune to current global affairs as many clubs are starting to feel the heat. Lately Portsmouth Football Club has been re-entered into Administration for a third time in under a decade for failing to pay off debts owed to creditors. Top grossing mega rich clubs such as Chelsea FC, Manchester United also have huge debts hanging over their heads in the sums of millions of pounds. Debts they are trying hard to get rid of as stated in the telegraph article, are due to the fact that UEFA (European Football administrative body) is putting in place tough rules clubs have to follow through to ensure the climate of football is not damaged by a huge financial tsunami.
    Of course footballers are not necessarily to blame here as both articles point out. Mr Lineker for example claims many of them do feel embarrassed but, fail to speak out about the issue. The footballing clubs, sponsors and agents have also played a major role in this blockbuster. Solely because as the sport becomes even more popular, big brands jump on the bandwagon and want to associate themselves with the football clubs by paying millions of pounds to the clubs and players in return for a greater brand awareness. This eventually evolves into bidding wars, with the bigger clubs winning most battles because they have the more sustainable resources and means of providing the big wages the bigger, better, well known, talented players advised by their agents looking for more money for their client demand. Thus dividing the market in two, as shown in the Spanish league where the top two teams, Real de Madrid and bitter arch rivals Barcelona FC dominate the league year on year without real competition from the rest of the teams. This is due to the fact that both clubs are immensely rich grossing hundreds of millions in revenue year on year and putting the amount to good use by acquiring only the best of best in the world of football.

All in all it is true the wages in the footballing world is huge, it is not the case for most of them, besides why should they only receive £100,000 a month if they are the reason why sponsors can make £100,000 in a day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Footballers are not overpaid btw, they are paid what the market wishes to pay them because there is **** loads of money in the market :pierre:

Le iPoop of article
    With the current economic climate and families feeling the results of inflation and insecurity about the near future, it is no surprise that lately a lot of hype regarding footballers earning tens and hundreds of thousands of pounds for doing their highly marketable hobby, the brand that is, football.

Above are two articles I have found online regarding this issue. Both these articles although about vaguely similar do tackle different angles of the situation. The first article talks about what I would describe as, a horrendous amount of money offered by, (then recently) mega rich, Manchester City for Brazilian superstar Kaka. A sum of half a million although not as much as an actor/actress as mentioned in the article (Charlie Sheen made a reported $48 million a year whilst filming the hit comedy show Two and a Half Men) is absolutely insane for essentially “kicking a ball”, considering those purchasing the match days tickets and club merchandise (the teachers and nurses, whose services to the community are much, much, so much more valuable) earn a mere fraction of that. Looking at the list of the top earners on that list provided in the second article, having done the calculations, it would take a teacher on a £30,000 a year salary almost 8 years and a half to earn what the top earner makes in a week. That does seem ridiculous and, frankly, one can see why the focus is on the vast amount these professionals rake in each week.
    Going back to the second article featuring quotes from a former footballer, who when first started his career, the average weekly wage was then £1,000, a sum which now seems worlds away from the current world that footballers seem to be indulged in. Although not mentioned in both articles that sum of one thousand is the average weekly wage of a player in the Blue Square Premiere (English football’s bottom tier league). Of course, it may seem like football is not immune to current global affairs as many clubs are starting to feel the heat. Lately Portsmouth Football Club has been re-entered into Administration for a third time in under a decade for failing to pay off debts owed to creditors. Top grossing mega rich clubs such as Chelsea FC, Manchester United also have huge debts hanging over their heads in the sums of millions of pounds. Debts they are trying hard to get rid of as stated in the telegraph article, are due to the fact that UEFA (European Football administrative body) is putting in place tough rules clubs have to follow through to ensure the climate of football is not damaged by a huge financial tsunami.
    Of course footballers are not necessarily to blame here as both articles point out. Mr Lineker for example claims many of them do feel embarrassed but, fail to speak out about the issue. The footballing clubs, sponsors and agents have also played a major role in this blockbuster. Solely because as the sport becomes even more popular, big brands jump on the bandwagon and want to associate themselves with the football clubs by paying millions of pounds to the clubs and players in return for a greater brand awareness. This eventually evolves into bidding wars, with the bigger clubs winning most battles because they have the more sustainable resources and means of providing the big wages the bigger, better, well known, talented players advised by their agents looking for more money for their client demand. Thus dividing the market in two, as shown in the Spanish league where the top two teams, Real de Madrid and bitter arch rivals Barcelona FC dominate the league year on year without real competition from the rest of the teams. This is due to the fact that both clubs are immensely rich grossing hundreds of millions in revenue year on year and putting the amount to good use by acquiring only the best of best in the world of football.

All in all it is true the wages in the footballing world is huge, it is not the case for most of them, besides why should they only receive £100,000 a month if they are the reason why sponsors can make £100,000 in a day?
    Did you read my entire post. I ranted against the whole overly costly market chain, not just the end salary of players. Whilst you're points are valid if I was just ranting against footballers wages I was ranting against the whole football market and it's money chain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)

Lool, that is a lot to read right now >_< If you send it to me another day I will be more the willing to read it But am a bit tired now. But I think we will disagree on a lot.

I believe in teh famous quote of Marx "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need". They don't 'need' that money. If anything, the money footballers get paid show how inefficient the market is. The fact that in this country a few footballers can make millions kicking a ball, and people living up North struggle to make their living from day to day because there is such high unemployment. I say tax the living daylight out those footballers :pierre:

Have you ever read The Spirit Level? If not, I would recommend reading it :yep: And also I think it would be the best way to explain my personal views regarding footballers wages :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Did you read my entire post. I ranted against the whole overly costly market chain, not just the end salary of players. Whilst you're points are valid if I was just ranting against footballers wages I was ranting against the whole football market and it's money chain.
    I did read it all, I think the article covered that(?) :erm: I do know what you mean, that is why i personally do not complain about their wages or the market... Yes they are stupid to be so heavily in debt - some not all - but "at the end of the day" :mmm: (Footballers love that don't they? :mmm:) they are careless because people still flock in a **** loads of their money on tickets, merchandises etc... :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    I'm guessing there is a pm of yours I haven't replied to yet :mmm:
    kinda I guess but I wasnt really expecting a reply :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Lool, that is a lot to read right now >_< If you send it to me another day I will be more the willing to read it But am a bit tired now. But I think we will disagree on a lot.

I believe in teh famous quote of Marx "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need". They don't 'need' that money. If anything, the money footballers get paid show how inefficient the market is. The fact that in this country a few footballers can make millions kicking a ball, and people living up North struggle to make their living from day to day because there is such high unemployment. I say tax the living daylight out those footballers :pierre:

Have you ever read The Spirit Level? If not, I would recommend reading it :yep: And also I think it would be the best way to explain my personal views regarding footballers wages :yep:
    The Spirit Level, got it.. I needed a new book anyway

Of course they don't "need" that much, no one "needs" that much... But I'll have you know, actors make far more than footballers.. So can do musicians... Beyonce supposedly made some $40 Mills last year, for entertaining, which is what football is to some...So yes, it's not "morally right" that some people earn bazillions but they have worked hard for it, and I say kudos to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    I did read it all, I think the article covered that(?) :erm: I do know what you mean, that is why i personally do not complain about their wages or the market... Yes they are stupid to be so heavily in debt - some not all - but "at the end of the day" :mmm: (Footballers love that don't they? :mmm:) they are careless because people still flock in a **** loads of their money on tickets, merchandises etc... :yep:
    But the whole point is that the monetising and rampant capitalism in football that allows Mike Ashley and other greedy *******s to exploit people's boring predictability and over-reliance on a single and, in my opinion, absolutely god-awful sport is the issue. Obviously the real solution is for people to stop buying into it but people are too thick to do that because they want to watch grown men play with their balls for entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    are having disscusion that i cant be bothered to read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    The Spirit Level, got it.. I needed a new book anyway

Of course they don't "need" that much, no one "needs" that much... But I'll have you know, actors make far more than footballers.. So can do musicians... Beyonce supposedly made some $40 Mills last year, for entertaining, which is what football is to some...So yes, it's not "morally right" that some people earn bazillions but they have worked hard for it, and I say kudos to them...
    You might not like the books views :mmm: But yeah, at least you can know now whether you hate my political views or not :lol:
    Lol, I am the opposite and don't need a new book. I am currently part way through like 8 books I am a bit ADD with things >_>

But footballers don't get paid for working hard. Otherwise people who clean toilets and jobs like that would also be millionaires >_< What sort of society do we live in when people who do some of the most important jobs (cleaning) get paid some of the lowest wages. Okay, there is little training and almost anyone can do cleaning but it is such a vital and unappreciated job. It takes someone like Florence Nightingale to come along and make people realise how important the role of a cleaner is :yep:

ReputationRep:
    ^ Same :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    It's a tarp!

ReputationRep:
    see you guys :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    What the heck is a tarp?

ReputationRep:
    Trap* im guessing :dontknow;

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.