Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Do You Think Of Designer Clothes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Recently, I have started to wear designer clothing because I go uni now, and most people there seem to wear some good clothes.

I see people in my course wearing Levis, G-Star, Superdry, Jack Wills.

I have a sweater from Jack Wills, and my god is it so warm. It's grey (don't have many grey sweaters) and so aesthetically appealing.

Also, I got a Superdry trench coat for half price when it was on sale, and that is really really warm. My dad really likes them and worn them once to work.

I just feel that designer clothes are of good quality and can be of help to me (I am clumsy). Just feel that its worth the money. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubber)
    Hi,

Recently, I have started to wear designer clothing because I go uni now, and most people there seem to wear some good clothes.

So if people on your course starting jumping into a canal you'd do the same?

Wear what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubber)
    Hi,

I have a sweater from Jack Wills, and my god is it so warm. It's grey (don't have many grey sweaters) and so aesthetically appealing.

Also, I got a Superdry trench coat for half price when it was on sale, and that is really really warm. My dad really likes them and worn them once to work.

I just feel that designer clothes are of good quality and can be of help to me (I am clumsy). Just feel that its worth the money. What do you think?
    If that's your reason; it's probably a good one.

But if you're buying it for the sake of showing off the brand, then that's a crappy reason.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that designer clothing is of high quality, and makes you feel good; I'm not really interested in designer clothing, but my friends are and they're always raving about their clothes. I do love designer handbags though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think personally for me, I'd only want to spend so much if they're staple items like coats, blazers etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think designer clothes just look better and definitely of a better quality.

I only buy designer coats/shoes/shirts. The likes of t-shirts and jeans/chinos/socks, I don't bother due to expenses! I don't brag about my designer clothing like some do though.

ReputationRep:
    I only really buy them if they're on sale... And even then I'll buy it because I like it and not because of the brand. £25 for a t-shirt because it's branded? No thanks!
    I can't really think of any big branded items that I own (besides converse and vans shoes).

ReputationRep:
    The only clothes I ever break the bank for are trainers, jackets and shirts for work (I'm a teacher ).

ReputationRep:
    Most of my designer clothing I get as Christmas/birthday presents. I agree they're better quality and last longer. I love my Levis and I haven't liked any other jeans I've tried on since I got them. They're really comfortable. But I don't just wear designer clothes. I have my fair share of H&M bargains.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to be able to buy myself really expensive nice clothes and shoes next year after I start Uni because I'll be spending my money on more important things like food.

ReputationRep:
    I just think that designer clothing lasts very long. I do have money that I can spend on clothing, as I usually save a lot of money on other items I purchase through getting bargains and online shopping.

ReputationRep:
    Designer clothes are a necessity.

I am currently wearing Emporio Armani boxer trunks underneath French Connection chinos, with an adidas hoody on top. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i wear designer everything.i feel sorry for people who cant afford designer.

ReputationRep:
    I love designer stuff, mainly because it lasts longer and looks better. My favourite designer brand is Armani. Having said that, I do shop elsewhere (H&M, woop!).

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills counts as a designer brand?
    A rip off, maybe, but hardly designer.
    Maybe I'm a bit ignorant, but in my head I always thought of Chanel, Dior, Armani etc as designer labels. Shame I can't afford them. Until then I'll just gaze longingly at their website . . . :heart:
    As for whether or not you should wear it, if you think it's a good investment and like the item, then sure, go for it. Good quality clothes can last for years if you take care of them.
    But it's not about what you wear, it's how you wear it. So don't feel pressured into buying clothes you don't want/need because of the odd snotty look (I'm not saying this is the case, but it's not uncommon.)

ReputationRep:
    Not all designer brands are good quality. Some are really for the name and name only: Case in point-Huge Boss and Armani

The cheaper Armani lines such as Exchange are not even designed by Armani, it's design by a team specially hired for that purpose. The quality is perhaps just slightly better than Topman.

Hugo Boss suits are generally fused pieces of crap with a label tacked on it

If you want to go designer, please go for good brands that offer you your money's worth.

Generally, Dior and Chanel are labels known for top-notch quality in everything they put out: a tag with those names on it are pretty much a guarantee of design and quality (of course the price accordingly reflects this)

Try to buy things on sale.

Eg:

Yves Saint Laurent tuxedo, Now £1,015 @ 50% off.

While this might seem extravagant, it is a fully canvassed wool tux from one of the biggest fashion houses of the decade. And fully Canvassed wool anything is incredibly expensive, I doubt you can find a tailor who can make you one for under 500. So in this case, might as well bite the bullet and go for the best

ReputationRep:
    Since when was Jack Wills designer? Hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Since when was Jack Wills designer? Hahaha.
    loool

ReputationRep:
    Buying designer gear is such a addiction, during the summer I think I wasted a hell of a lot on designer gear and it doesn't make a difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    Although I do sometimes surprise my friends who occasionally ask 'where did you get that from, its so cool?'

ReputationRep:
    I love designer clothes. I think I spend too much money on them though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.