Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Do You Think Of Designer Clothes? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Nope, cannot afford them!! Although i do find it annoying when people moan about people wearing designer clothes, if you can afford them, then why not splash out?

ReputationRep:
    I do spend quite a fair amount on designer clothes... Barbour jackets, Ralph Lauren polos, t-shirts, jumpers, Hilfiger jeans, Lyle and Scott, Diesel... the quality from these brands is generally excellent and makes the purchase worth while, well in my opnion anyway.

(Original post by clubber)
      What do you think?
      I adore designer clothes but calling G-Star, Superdry and Jack Wills designer makes me sick. Designer clothes are from the likes of Armani, Chanel, Dior, D&G, Gucci et al... none of this middle market trash that British people wear.

Edit: I take it from the negs you people think that G-Star, Superdry and Jack Wills are designer? you people are pretty stupid then aren't you... pick up a fashion magazine every now and again

ReputationRep:
      I buy quite a lot of designer stuff myself including some chanel, prada, Dior etc but I love some of the stuff from Jack Wills, Abercrombie and Hollister as it lasts for ages and some of its really nice and sweats are amazingly comfy! I don't brag about what I own but walking out without a prada bag is hard, I cover up using cheaper baranded bags as not to be judged as much as I go to public school rather than private as my Mum is ill and she couldn't stand me being away from her even though this might change next year! Wear what you want, if you have the money why not!

ReputationRep:
      Designer clothes are good quality and look good too(most of the time)...so if you can afford it then why not? But I just don't get what the point in a pair of jack wills trackie bottoms is...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
      burn them with fire!

ReputationRep:
      Firstly, the brands mentioned by the OP are not 'designer' labels by any stretch of the imagination, they are simply more upscale than department stores and low-end tat.

Personally I look for style first and quality second, beyond that I couldn't care less how the brand I'm wearing is perceived by others. I own about a dozen Levi's jeans because they're superlative to any I've come across (I found more expensive brands less durable and ill-fitting in comparison). Most of my casual tops are from the diffusion lines of Calvin Klein (best quality), Donna Karan, and Armani (I only buy the latter for the XS size which fits me perfectly; the quality is variable). My jackets range from CK to Cos (great quality and elegant designs) and Zara. I find that Superdry and Hollister don't noticeably update their lines by season so after buying a few key pieces I quickly grew tired of them. But nonetheless I have found some great buys at Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters recently, so I don't consign myself exclusively to a certain 'level' of brands.

ReputationRep:
      darling, that is not designer.

ReputationRep:
      A waste of money. They're made in the same sweatshops that cheap clothes are made in and they'll last you the same amount of time. They're for idiots with more money than sense.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by abc101)
      They're for idiots with more money than sense.
      Shhh don't tell them. The more retarded people in their low quality, unoriginal, overpriced "designer" tat look, the better the rest of us look by comparison.

ReputationRep:
      I really dislike Jack Wills, Gilly Hicks, Hollister, Abercrombie Fitch
      URGH

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bunner)
      I buy quite a lot of designer stuff myself including some chanel, prada, Dior etc but I love some of the stuff from Jack Wills, Abercrombie and Hollister as it lasts for ages and some of its really nice and sweats are amazingly comfy! I don't brag about what I own but walking out without a prada bag is hard, I cover up using cheaper baranded bags as not to be judged as much as I go to public school rather than private as my Mum is ill and she couldn't stand me being away from her even though this might change next year! Wear what you want, if you have the money why not!
      public schools are private schools, lmfao state schools are free.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by letsbehonest)
      I really dislike Jack Wills, Gilly Hicks, Hollister, Abercrombie Fitch
      URGH
      why do you hate abercrombie, cant afford it?

ReputationRep:
      I think clothes from ZARA are as good as some designer clothes if not better.

ReputationRep:
      How can you afford designer clothes as a student!? A few pieces I can understand but not a whole wardrobe!!
      I love jacks wills Abercrombie etc etc etc but what happened to good old fashioned "poor student" look
      ?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AkhiMohamed)
      why do you hate abercrombie, cant afford it?
      I said I dislike it. I can defo afford it. I actually own some joggers from hollister but I passed them down to my sister. Theyre just too common and bleh over worn by the chavs.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by letsbehonest)
      I said I dislike it. I can defo afford it. I actually own some joggers from hollister but I passed them down to my sister. Theyre just too common and bleh over worn by the chavs.
      true, i was just joking to be honest and yeah its true but chavs wear most brands nowadays

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by clubber)
      Hi,

Recently, I have started to wear designer clothing because I go uni now, and most people there seem to wear some good clothes.

I see people in my course wearing Levis, G-Star, Superdry, Jack Wills.

I have a sweater from Jack Wills, and my god is it so warm. It's grey (don't have many grey sweaters) and so aesthetically appealing.

Also, I got a Superdry trench coat for half price when it was on sale, and that is really really warm. My dad really likes them and worn them once to work.

I just feel that designer clothes are of good quality and can be of help to me (I am clumsy). Just feel that its worth the money. What do you think?
      :rofl: Those aren't designer brands.

ReputationRep:
      I personally don't think the likes of Jack Wills, Superdry and GStar are 'Designer' they're at MOST top end of the high street the difference between Designer and high street is that Designer clothing changes ranges frequently to fit with new trends, brands like Jack Wills just say the same, take a look at Westwood or Chanel for genuine designer clothes

ReputationRep:
      I'm not into any of those, I just wear what I like. While one finds a designer piece of clothing, I find the same but, e.g. from a second hand which looks the same and I save up some money to spend on something else. Both pieces of clothing are the same except one is with a logo...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.