Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got offers from both but can't decide! Anyone have an opinion?

ReputationRep:
    oh comeon

ReputationRep:
    Which course? It totally depends on what course you're doing and which course you like better at the unis. Then have a look at the cities themselves and their placement, eg Durham is a beaautiful city but maybe you want to be further south? Can't really help much more with that little detail hehe

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to Durham simply because it is a collegiate university, and I feel that it would therefore offer a fantastic experience in an extravagant setting, it is also a globally reputed institution. I applied to Bristol too, and although the Chemistry course there is AMAZING, and the laboratories are top notch, I wasn't too keen on the area; and the accomodation is 30 minutes away from the Chemistry faculty :|. What course did you apply for? I also hold an offer from Durham

ReputationRep:
    The best way to decide is to visit the universities. You'll probably be invited to a special visit day exclusively for applicants who are holding offers.
    Personally, I'd choose Bristol but that might be because it's closer to home for me than Durham. However, both universities are outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizzie232)
    Which course? It totally depends on what course you're doing and which course you like better at the unis. Then have a look at the cities themselves and their placement, eg Durham is a beaautiful city but maybe you want to be further south? Can't really help much more with that little detail hehe
    philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Durham is ****ing boring.

Bristol on the other hand is the ideal student city.

"If you don't ****ing love Bristol, you are either lying, not telling the truth, or ****ing ugly"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myusername.)
    The best way to decide is to visit the universities. You'll probably be invited to a special visit day exclusively for applicants who are holding offers.
    Personally, I'd choose Bristol but that might be because it's closer to home for me than Durham. However, both universities are outstanding.
    ive been to both.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's in a more convenient location (in my opinion) and it's a livelier city.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what college at Durham? Would that sway you one way or the other?

Both are terrific. Have they given you the same offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Do you know what college at Durham? Would that sway you one way or the other?

Both are terrific. Have they given you the same offer?
    exact same offer - made an open application college wise at durham !

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, if (when) I get rejected from Cambridge i'm putting Durham as my firm and Bristol as my insurance. Both lovely but I guess Durham for me is just preferable. Depends on what you like; the posts above basically sum it up collectively although all are obviously biased.

(Original post by Classical Liberal)
    "If you don't ****ing love Bristol, you are either lying, not telling the truth, or ****ing ugly"
    Isn't that the same thing?? :dontknow:

Tbh though that shouldn't be the only, or indeed most important factor in this.

ReputationRep:
    Both rather similar in terms of reputation; although Durham perhaps has the slight edge. Both universities are reasonably different - the main being the collegiate system at Durham and indeed the Oxbridge 'feel'; however Bristol does have similarly historic sort of architecture and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selym95)
    Both rather similar in terms of reputation; although Durham perhaps has the slight edge. Both universities are reasonably different - the main being the collegiate system at Durham and indeed the Oxbridge 'feel'; however Bristol does have similarly historic sort of architecture and so on.
    Lol. Asif you just said Durham has an "Oxbridge" feel.

No, it doesn't, its nothing like Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melthusa)

Hmm. Surely you don't mean that?!

ReputationRep:
    Durham Durham Durham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Funnily enough, if (when) I get rejected from Cambridge i'm putting Durham as my firm and Bristol as my insurance. Both lovely but I guess Durham for me is just preferable. Depends on what you like; the posts above basically sum it up collectively although all are obviously biased.

i love your username. I would preferably go to Durham just because i think prestige wise it edges it, both are very similar though. I would imagine the deciding factors to be collegiate-preferable? and location?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)

"On a punt"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selym95)
    Hmm. Surely you don't mean that?!
    Ignore her. She got rejected from Durham and is in a massive strop about it, apparently it makes them a corrupt elitest university because Oxford accepted her (which totally does not have a reputation for elitism, unlike Durham! :rolleyes: ) and Durham didn't want her, and she's 'underprivileged'. Of course she's gonna wanna **** on Durham, but her opinion is practically worthless because of it.

I don't know how you get into Oxford with that frame of mind tbh.

(Original post by manty)
    i love your username. I would preferably go to Durham just because i think prestige wise it edges it, both are very similar though. I would imagine the deciding factors to be collegiate-preferable? and location?
    For me, location is worse but the general feel of the uni would be much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melthusa)

Bitter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.