Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    nice notes, I resat biol2 in Jan and got a D got an A in biol4 though, need a A overall so I need to re sit biol1 and biol2, any tips? I revised a fair bit for biol2 and was confident I knew all the content, I did quite a lot of past papers too.
    thnks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    Is it only me but when I downloaded and tried to open, it said that the file can't be opened because its corrupted or something. Could you please re-upload? And thanks in advance.
    Nobody else has said anything - have you tried re-downloading it? If that doesn't work, pm me an email address and I'll send them to you direct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobTheBuilder94)
    nice notes, I resat biol2 in Jan and got a D got an A in biol4 though, need a A overall so I need to re sit biol1 and biol2, any tips? I revised a fair bit for biol2 and was confident I knew all the content, I did quite a lot of past papers too.
    thnks
    First is the obvious: make sure that you understand the content inside out - not just remembering facts but being confident that you could explain it to somebody who has no prior A-level knowledge (try this if you can - it's a great help). If you think you've achieved that, the problem is probably with your exam technique. How do you use past papers - do you use a mark scheme or open book, or do you do them as if they were exams? Personally I think the latter is a much better technique - if you can get a good A in a past paper under timed exam conditions, chances are you can repeat that on the day of the exam. If you aren't getting the grades you want, then you can identify your weak points and improve them.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any notes for unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidH20)
    First is the obvious: make sure that you understand the content inside out - not just remembering facts but being confident that you could explain it to somebody who has no prior A-level knowledge (try this if you can - it's a great help). If you think you've achieved that, the problem is probably with your exam technique. How do you use past papers - do you use a mark scheme or open book, or do you do them as if they were exams? Personally I think the latter is a much better technique - if you can get a good A in a past paper under timed exam conditions, chances are you can repeat that on the day of the exam. If you aren't getting the grades you want, then you can identify your weak points and improve them.
    I was pretty confident I knew everything inside out before, doing some revision now and it seems like I've just got a few things. In comparison to how much I knew for biol4 and biol2, biol2 was deff more weak...I did all the past papers though without notes and was getting B's on that even though I wasn't happy with that... In the exam I think I gave too many alternative answers. Like for the 5/6mark q on dna replication I explained semi conservative replication then did mitosis as well no idea why. Do you think I could have lost marks for that?
    I didn't get my paper back as I missed the deadline which was a few days after, gutted...
    What notes did you use btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maryam3)
    Do you have any notes for unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't currently...I'm handwriting them as we speak and may type them up, but no promises...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobTheBuilder94)
    I was pretty confident I knew everything inside out before, doing some revision now and it seems like I've just got a few things. In comparison to how much I knew for biol4 and biol2, biol2 was deff more weak...I did all the past papers though without notes and was getting B's on that even though I wasn't happy with that... In the exam I think I gave too many alternative answers. Like for the 5/6mark q on dna replication I explained semi conservative replication then did mitosis as well no idea why. Do you think I could have lost marks for that?
    I didn't get my paper back as I missed the deadline which was a few days after, gutted...
    What notes did you use btw?
    If you were getting B's in past papers, assuming you marked harshly, I assume something went awry either with the marking or you had a really bad day...

Personally I'm not a fan of AQA - you can give a fully correct answer to a question and get no marks. The good thing is, as long as you don't contradict yourself you won't lose any marks, so b/sing is a good strategy if you don't know which answer they want. It's best to keep it relevant though.

I based them on the AS biology textbook by Michael Kent (Oxford University Press), but I had to do a lot of filtering as there was quite a bit of unnecessary or ambiguous information.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody else has said anything - have you tried re-downloading it? If that doesn't work, pm me an email address and I'll send them to you direct
    It works now! Wohoo. I must get an A and that too by really high if I want to get overall A for AS. I messed up my Jan one, only got a B

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering if anyone could be help me with meiosis i don't understand what a homologous pair is as in the textbook it says 'the fusion of the egg and sperm, each contributes a set of chromosones to the offspring. therefore one each pair is derived from the chromosone is provided by the mother in the egg and the fathers in the sperm.'
    does that mean that their are 23 chromosones in the egg and sperm and that from each chromosone of the mothers egg donates a chromatid and matches with the fathers chromatid for the same gene?
    really confused???

ReputationRep:
    Great set of notes,just wondering do you have any similar ones for unit 1?

ReputationRep:
    BIOL5 notes here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2343126

ReputationRep:
    Amazing notes, sitting this in June, thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    Well, the first step is making sure you understand all the information - in biology it's very easy to learn and regurgitate facts. The best way that I find is to make connections between the different areas of biology, and with other sciences (if you don't think a textbook explains it very well research it yourself).

A good way to ensure understanding would be to rewrite these notes, or any others, in your own words - that makes sure your brain processes the information.

When you feel confident that you know and understand the topics, start on past papers. Remember that these are limited and are the only real indicator of your performance: don't waste them. I would strongly recommend doing each one under timed exam conditions - if you do papers open book or with mark schemes you basically waste one. Mark them harshly and don't rest until you're getting your target grade - that's your target, not your teachers'.

Biology is a lot of facts - personally I prefer the other sciences, but in the end if you learn and understand the info, and develop your exam technique, you can't go far wrong.

Hope that helps

Wow, thanks so much!! Notes are very good, just printing them now! And this advice is very useful. Taking this exam first time in about a week, so this is very appreciated! Good on you!!

ReputationRep:
    So kind of you!
    I've already made my notes for this exam but yours are far better than mine so ill definitely be adding things to mine.

Thanks'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @davidh20

Those Biol5 notes you uploaded, are they worth going through and learning?

I mean do they have the same information that's in the AQA Book and the Revision Guide.
    Also, how do u answer HSW Questoins??

ReputationRep:
    these notes are really helpful! thankyou! xx

ReputationRep:
    Great notes, thanks. They condense it all into just the really useful bits. Great work. I'll print these off and read them repeatedly over the next 4 days.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for these . Got me full UMS 140/140 in Unit 2. Would recommend to everyone sitting/resitting BIOL 2 in June 2014.

ReputationRep:
    These look fantastic. I'm sitting BIO1 & BIO2 this June, and I definitely think they'll help. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Thought these might be helpful for anybody sitting the AQA unit 2 biology exam this January. Made by me, so possibly not perfect, but they did me well - see spoiler.

Apologies for any typos/mistakes - feel free to post if you see anything that's wrong [insert disclaimer about no responsibility for exam performance etc.]

Enjoy

Spoiler:
    Show

I got 140/140UMS in this exam using these notes and past papers as my main revision resource.
    hey, very very late but thanks so much!any chance you have unit 1? :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.