Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's the best pundit on TV at the moment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    Neville by a country mile - he seems to be the only one that actually does any research for the gig. Dixon was good on MOTD as well though.

Shearer, Keane, and Niall Quinn are abysmal.
    Yeah Dixon was good as well; I think his switch to ITV was a mistake on his part - obviously there were reasons but I think he was progressing well at the BBC. At ITV everything seems slow and artificial.

I watched MOTD 3 online and Shearer was on it. Somebody said on this thread that he states the absolute obvious - MOTD 3 was proof of that.

ReputationRep:
    Easily Gary Neville, he is arguably the best debater and analyst on Sky Sports. His knowledge of the game is widely incredible and he speaks a lot of sense too. He always offers a unbiased verdict compared to other footy pundits. As for the worst, the worst footy pundit is definietely Graeme Souness, he's so biased that it's unreal and his opinions are baseless and I swear he can never pronounce any players name right. I also quite like Alan Shearer's approaches on MOTD, his analyses of matches ate particularly interesting and he offers a clear cut that many pundits don't. Overall I'd say the best has to be Neville truly based on his sharpness, technique and psychology of the game. He clearly knows what he us talking about, an excellent debater and such skill in evaluating.

ReputationRep:
    Niall Quinn frustrates me a lot. It is as if he is watching a different match when he commentates

ReputationRep:
    Neville easily.

I don't get people's problem with Shearer though. Might not be the best in the world but talks sense and is an utter professional.

ReputationRep:
    The likes of Neville, Wilkins, Keane & Southgate are pretty decent imo. Clarence Seedorf was great during the last WC & Euros but I'm not sure if Sky Sports/BBC/ITV could ever get him as a regular pundit.

ReputationRep:
    Gary Neville

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    Easily Gary Neville, he is arguably the best debater and analyst on Sky Sports. His knowledge of the game is widely incredible and he speaks a lot of sense too. He always offers a unbiased verdict compared to other footy pundits. As for the worst, the worst footy pundit is definietely Graeme Souness, he's so biased that it's unreal and his opinions are baseless and I swear he can never pronounce any players name right. I also quite like Alan Shearer's approaches on MOTD, his analyses of matches ate particularly interesting and he offers a clear cut that many pundits don't. Overall I'd say the best has to be Neville truly based on his sharpness, technique and psychology of the game. He clearly knows what he us talking about, an excellent debater and such skill in evaluating.
    I don't like Souness either, especially when he's covering a Barca game. He is so biased towards them.

Another person that I forgot to mention earlier is Ruud Gullit. Very good, particularly on European nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnm)
    Neville easily.

I don't get people's problem with Shearer though. Might not be the best in the world but talks sense and is an utter professional.
    Maybe it's that Shearer is too dull. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Dion Dublin :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    Neville, Keane, Merson.

Adebayor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Neville, Keane, Merson.

Adebayor

:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)

:laugh:
    I love the way Adebayor gets all serious after putting the phone down despite Shearer and Linekar having a laugh about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    I don't like Souness either, especially when he's covering a Barca game. He is so biased towards them.

Another person that I forgot to mention earlier is Ruud Gullit. Very good, particularly on European nights.
    I also like Ruud, he's so professional and speaks so much sense, even when discussing international games involving the Dutch national team I noticed that he administers a fair approach, even though you can see how passionate he is towards the Dutch. His opinions on every decision seem fair and I like his argumentative style and he's kind of funny at times too like when he was joking about Jamie Carrangher's accent. His vision of the game is top-class and he also has an intelligent skill of breaking down different parts of the match quickly and objectively too during his deep post-game analyses.

ReputationRep:
    Gary Neville by far, Jamie Redknapp's not too bad either.

ReputationRep:
    I like Mark Lawreson, although he does have a bias towards Liverpool. And he hates Villa
    I also like Lee Dixon, why did he leave BBC?

My main dislike: Roy Keane, he pisses me off so much.

ReputationRep:
    a contender for worst that hasnt been mentioned yet - steve claridge!

in the football league he has been there and done it but he is such a dull pundit and seems to constantly change his mind on everything! having said that the whole format of the football league show is poor and BBC dont show it if they can avoid it (a full programme of fixtures on boxing day yet the decide no FLS... rubbish!)

ReputationRep:
    Neville
    Nevin
    Klinsmann

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)

in the football league he has been there and done it but he is such a dull pundit and seems to constantly change his mind on everything! having said that the whole format of the football league show is poor and BBC dont show it if they can avoid it (a full programme of fixtures on boxing day yet the decide no FLS... rubbish!)
    The worst part about the FLS is in fact how they no longer show the game highlights on the website! It means that I can't follow my second club- Torquay United as well as I used to. If anything, they should scrap the FLS and just upload the highlights of the games onto their website!
    I can't afford to stay up so late on a Saturday night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boumavilla)
    The worst part about the FLS is in fact how they no longer show the game highlights on the website! It means that I can't follow my second club- Torquay United as well as I used to. If anything, they should scrap the FLS and just upload the highlights of the games onto their website!
    I can't afford to stay up so late on a Saturday night
    highlights have now moved to sky sports website, which is fine but includes adverts....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)

Haha, yes Claridge. His reaction to Papiss Cisse's goal against Chelsea last season was hilarious but you couldn't help but think 'calm down mate'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.