Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know if you're learning from past papers? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean like how do you know if you're learning from your past paper mistakes or have just memorised the markscheme on that question? I've been doing loads of past papers and my marks do improve but I always wonder if I've really understood or have just remembered the markscheme.

Like today for example, I did badly on a past paper in the morning, so marked & looked at where I went wrong and I plan to attempt it again later on in the day but will have I have understood or just memorised?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Probably just memorised

Faced with a problem which isn't directly related, out of the blue, you'll probably not have any better approach or thinking skills.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on the subject but i learnt a lot of the stuff that i needed to remember from past papers.

For the purpose of getting the grade you need to move on, rightly or wrongly, i see nothing wrong with this

ReputationRep:
    Try to work through the answer yourself after having just looked at the mark scheme and then move on to a different paper. Come back to the original paper at least a week later to see if you know how to approach the question again without having memorised the mark scheme? Other similar questions may crop up on subsequent papers and if you struggle with these maybe it would be worth doing some textbook work around the topic?
    Hope this is what you were looking for ^_^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    You'll get increasingly higher marks with every paper that you do. And hopefully you'll notice that the things that tripped you up before you're now getting right.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I always thought memorising for maths would be a bad thing, so even if I HAVE memorised the answers to questions, I suppose it can't be bad because if I see a similar question in the exam I'll remember the corresponding method from the other types of questions I've done, right?

ReputationRep:
    Doing the same past paper twice in the same day probably isn't effective, you should probably go through all the papers in some order before repeating them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    Oh, I always thought memorising for maths would be a bad thing, so even if I HAVE memorised the answers to questions, I suppose it can't be bad because if I see a similar question in the exam I'll remember the corresponding method from the other types of questions I've done, right?
    I wouldn't say memorising the answer was the way forward as the likelihood of the same answer occurring is near impossible! But maths is all about following a set method?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    IMO there is no purpose whatsoever in repeating a past paper

Do a paper
    Check errors
    LEARN MATERIAL
    Do another past paper

It is not about learning answers but about learning and understanding the material

If someone can mark your work rather than you looking at the MS that is more use ... That way you can go back and re try the paper

ReputationRep:
    There's no point redoing the same paper in the same day imo. Practice the topics you're slipping up on and try some other past papers, then revisit the past paper like a week later or something - you'll be surprised at how easily you forget the papers! I can never remember doing them when I do them again if you improve on your original score then you know you're improving!

ReputationRep:
    I think I usually just repeat a paper, not to remember the answer but so the method I used sticks in my head, but yes that's probably what the textbook questions are for

ReputationRep:
    I mean like how do you know if you're learning from your past paper mistakes or have just memorised the markscheme on that question? I've been doing loads of past papers and my marks do improve but I always wonder if I've really understood or have just remembered the markscheme.

Like today for example, I did badly on a past paper in the morning, so marked & looked at where I went wrong and I plan to attempt it again later on in the day but will have I have understood or just memorised?

Thanks
    lol, do you mean re-doing the exact same paper? That's no use.

You should have like five or more past papers available to you, right? Use them wisely - learn everything as best you can before using them, then do them each in turn, ending with the most recent one a couple of days before your exam. Hopefully your mark will improve considerably from one paper to the next.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, you should try and understand, then when you get faced with a similar problem you can understand how to do the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)
    There's no point redoing the same paper in the same day imo. Practice the topics you're slipping up on and try some other past papers, then revisit the past paper like a week later or something - you'll be surprised at how easily you forget the papers! I can never remember doing them when I do them again if you improve on your original score then you know you're improving!
    yeah, you're probably right, I think I'll be better off making a list of my weaker topics and revising them from the textbook

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you're probably right, I think I'll be better off making a list of my weaker topics and revising them from the textbook
    I've found that what works for me with maths is:

1) Understanding the module - this may be by going through and making notes from CGP, watching videos, etc. I think it's so important to actually have a thorough understanding of all the content.

2) Complete the end-of-topic questions/textbook questions on each of the topics in the modules.

3) Do the past papers! (and practice dodgy areas whilst doing so!)

4) Do all the past papers again.

ReputationRep:
    I am absolutely rubbish with memorising information. So, when i do past papers, especially in a subject like maths, i know that i am learning and refining my technique as to how to get to the right answer and will also understand it.

It wouldn't make sense to do the same paper twice as you'd be fooling yourself really as you already know the answer and the steps to get there.
    What i always do is mark my paper, look which ones i got wrong and if i continuously get that type of question wrong, i use my text book and answer questions from that chapter.

Hope this helps, somehow

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Don't do it straight away.
    Learn from your mistakes and then do the next paper and make sure you don't do those mistakes again and when it gets close to the exam period do the paper again.

ReputationRep:
    if theres a question in the past paper which you memorised/learnt and it comes up in the exam you obviously win!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.