Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for a diabetic who LOATHS running Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hellooooo all...

Before you start reading... pleaseeee don't judge! :P

Soo I'm female, 5ft4 and weigh about 11.5stone (size 10/12) and wanting to loose at least 2 stone just to feel a bit more comfortable in myself but whenever I find the time to go jogging (which is practically never as I have, in total, a 4 hour commute to college each day by bus so have to leave at 7am and get back at 6pm) I start feeling seriously sick and start retching after barely 5 minutes! I can't afford a gym membership or coaching and I can't think of any other way to exercise :/

Also I have Type 1 Diabetes which just makes everything annoyingly complicated -.- It's the main reason as to why I'm overweight- whenever my blood sugar's low, I have rampages through the kitchen which are COMPLETELY uncontrollable :/

Is there any cheap but effective ways of losing weight? And how concerned should I be in workouts about my diabetes?
    Please help!!

ReputationRep:
    What about getting off the bus a few stops earlier? Walking is a good exercise as a starter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nynyflower)
    What about getting off the bus a few stops earlier? Walking is a good exercise as a starter.
    That's a really wonderful piece of advice for other people but my college is in the middle of nowhere and there are no stops within 4 miles of it :/

But thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    Have your sugar levels running a bit high before you start a workout. Your body will burn off the sugar without you going too low. Maybe have a snack handy just in case you go hypo. Have a look at www.runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html they have information about managing diabetes with lots of different types of sport, but could be relevant to you.

If you want to run.. have you seen the C25K plan (couch to 5km)? It starts with walking and running and builds up to running for 30 minutes. I couldn't run before hand, but it really helped.

You can lose weight by walking more. Try and walk 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles) and it can greatly help. You probably do a bit of this anyway around college etc.

Look at your diet. This is the main one for losing weight. Eat healthily. Try and cut out snacking. Eating off smaller plates is a big one - means you eat less, but your mind sees that you "still ate a whole plate of food".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Cooper)
    Have your sugar levels running a bit high before you start a workout. Your body will burn off the sugar without you going too low. Maybe have a snack handy just in case you go hypo. Have a look at www.runsweet.com/DiabetesAndSport.html they have information about managing diabetes with lots of different types of sport, but could be relevant to you.

If you want to run.. have you seen the C25K plan (couch to 5km)? It starts with walking and running and builds up to running for 30 minutes. I couldn't run before hand, but it really helped.

You can lose weight by walking more. Try and walk 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles) and it can greatly help. You probably do a bit of this anyway around college etc.

Look at your diet. This is the main one for losing weight. Eat healthily. Try and cut out snacking. Eating off smaller plates is a big one - means you eat less, but your mind sees that you "still ate a whole plate of food".
    That's brilliant! I'll definitely look at that website and thank you for those tips!

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to run, you could walk, dance, cycle, swim.. there are hundreds of exercises out there, and the hardest thing is to find the one that suits you the best. Once you find it, you're laughing.

When you say you 'uncontrollably' eat food when you have low blood sugar, I'm sure you could organise your diet in such a way to ensure that this never happens. I imagine eating more regularly would help, so have 6 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones, and then a healthy snack in between. My boyfriend is diabetic and he'd always use chocolate to help his low moments, but it's much better to be healthy in general and avoid them in the first place (although I do know that your sugars aren't always on your mind, so often the first time you think about it is when they're already too low).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    You don't have to run, you could walk, dance, cycle, swim.. there are hundreds of exercises out there, and the hardest thing is to find the one that suits you the best. Once you find it, you're laughing.

When you say you 'uncontrollably' eat food when you have low blood sugar, I'm sure you could organise your diet in such a way to ensure that this never happens. I imagine eating more regularly would help, so have 6 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones, and then a healthy snack in between. My boyfriend is diabetic and he'd always use chocolate to help his low moments, but it's much better to be healthy in general and avoid them in the first place (although I do know that your sugars aren't always on your mind, so often the first time you think about it is when they're already too low).

That's really helpful thank you!
    But at the moment my sugars are all over the place due to stress so they're really erratic and hard to predict.. I could be high one hour and seriously low the next so it's really hard to try and balance but thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)

Not necessarily. Insulin regimes are designed for the standard 3 meals a day, with no/few snacks, as it mimics (tries its best to!) the natural insulin physiology that occurs within a normal human body.

Going to six meals could potentially lead to 7 insulin injections a day, plus at least another 7 sugar level checks, which is just plain mean!

OP - the kitchen rampages may suggest that you're not too good at identifying lows, and so pick them up later than is healthy? With diabetes, you need to remember that exercise uses up glucose quicker, so you need less insulin before exercise. I'm afraid you'll probably have to trial and error a bit until you work out what dose you need (don't know if there are any internet resources out there) but keep a close eye on things when exercising and don't go too low! (Although I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that :p:)

Also, you mentioned your sugars are all over the place - it might be an idea to try and get them more uniform before you start fiddling with things again

Good luck

P.S. This is not medical advice, and if concerned, speak to your DSN! Infact, that's actually quite a good idea - they know everything about diabetes!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend seeing your GP about it. It's not wise to undertake any weight loss when diabetic without consulting someone first because you could end up doing yourself more harm than good. Furthermore, your GP will also be able to tell you if/how exactly you should be altering your insulin when exercising and what precautions you need to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Not necessarily. Insulin regimes are designed for the standard 3 meals a day, with no/few snacks, as it mimics (tries its best to!) the natural insulin physiology that occurs within a normal human body.

Going to six meals could potentially lead to 7 insulin injections a day, plus at least another 7 sugar level checks, which is just plain mean!

OP - the kitchen rampages may suggest that you're not too good at identifying lows, and so pick them up later than is healthy? With diabetes, you need to remember that exercise uses up glucose quicker, so you need less insulin before exercise. I'm afraid you'll probably have to trial and error a bit until you work out what dose you need (don't know if there are any internet resources out there) but keep a close eye on things when exercising and don't go too low! (Although I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that :p:)

Also, you mentioned your sugars are all over the place - it might be an idea to try and get them more uniform before you start fiddling with things again

Good luck

P.S. This is not medical advice, and if concerned, speak to your DSN! Infact, that's actually quite a good idea - they know everything about diabetes!

Brilliant advice! Thank youu! And I'm actually on an insulin pump not on needles which means it's a lot harder and longer to find the right doses but I'll get there eventually, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    I would recommend seeing your GP about it. It's not wise to undertake any weight loss when diabetic without consulting someone first because you could end up doing yourself more harm than good. Furthermore, your GP will also be able to tell you if/how exactly you should be altering your insulin when exercising and what precautions you need to take.
    Hadn't thought of doing that, thank youu!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..Tatty..)
    Hadn't thought of doing that, thank youu!
    No problem at all I think people often think they shouldn't go to the GP unless they are ill, which really isn't the case. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you make such a positive change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..Tatty..)
    That's a really wonderful piece of advice for other people but my college is in the middle of nowhere and there are no stops within 4 miles of it :/

But thank youu!
    How about cycling the first part of the bus journey, and then getting on the bus, and doing the same thing in reverse on the way home? Assuming that there are several bus stops before the last four mile stretch, it would allow you to build up gently, maybe cycling to the first bus stop at first, then the second, then the third.

It's the main reason as to why I'm overweight- whenever my blood sugar's low, I have rampages through the kitchen which are COMPLETELY uncontrollable :/
      If your blood sugar goes low so regularly that the 'hypo feast' is causing you to put on weight then you need to first work on getting your diabetes under control before you start dieting/exercising hard.

Do you have access to a DAFNE course at your diabetes clinic? I did one last year and found it was really useful for planning food/insulin for exercise (as well as a load of other stuff like nights out, when you're ill, etc...) and should mean you can live more freely and confident that your diabetes is under control. Then you can work on getting more active.

ReputationRep:
      Cycling surely, its effective can be fitted into your day, and if you are doing it long term not going to cause the same impact injuries like running.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks everyone, really really good ideas!

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.